X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak Detection

This was about 28" deep. I believe it was SDR35 pipe. The leak was at a PVC X FIP glue joint. I was not aware you could even glue this pipe. I was a little worried as we didn't see the leak until it was totally uncovered. I couldn't even hear it exposed (I love my equipment). The leak was near a gas storage tank for a gas station. I have no idea exactly where all of the water was going to.

The repair was super simple and expensive. I love these fittings!

Last edited by Gettinit; 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: Leak Detection

We have lot's of SDR35 pipe in our area, and I've used it before. As far as my knowledge goes, you can't use glue on this pipe, as you're suppose to use push fittings. They do make an adapter to go from SDR35 to schedule 40 PVC, and we have used this fitting within 10' from entering a building, so we can hook up PVC inside the basement. The only thing I don't like about SDR35 is it's easy to break with a sewer machine, cause I've done it already.

However, If that is SDR35 in your picture, I never seen it used on a water service before. Here it's all "K" copper and Poly for water services.

Comment

what kind of fittings are those? and out here ive never ran into that sdr35(dont know anything about it).... like flux said isnt it for sewer....and flexible...... and haha i ran into a poly waterline the other day and knew what was "going on" but my coworker was extremely confused seeing a poly water service since 99% of our water services are either copper or pvc out here. ive actually heard people at the supply house out here stating that poly isnt legal per code for potable water but i looked it up and it is legal...which is also weird that not alot people use it out here.

Comment

SDR35 solvent weld sewer pipe
        Products | JM Eagle

SDR32.5 solvent weld irrigation pipe
        http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/onesheet...e-slick_v1.pdf

SDR32.5 Ring Tite for use in rural, agricultural water systems and other services
        Products | JM Eagle

AWWA C900 (DR25, DR18) "Blue Brute" gasketed water pipe for municipal water systems
        Blue Bruteā„¢ C900 Water Pipe | JM Eagle

Comment

not sure where my mind was but it is not sdr35....can't really remember if it was sdr21 or other.

The fittings are called pack joint unions. They have them for different materials (CTS,PVC...). Once tightened up, like any standard compression joint, you tighten the bolt. If you were to take the nut loose and look into the nut you will see it looks like threads. They actually help grip the pipe so it doesn't pull apart. You can get these fittings at any waterworks store. Some plumbing supplies may at least have the 3/4'' and 1'' CTS x CTS.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
          X