X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen shower cartridge

Sorry if this has already been covered. But when trying to replace a moen pull out shower cartridge, and you pull the guts out of the cartridge, how can you get the rest of the cartridge out without replacing faucet?

Re: Moen shower cartridge

If you're just pulling guts, ie., pieces, then the cartridge has broken. I've had to use a drill a couple of times to further break up the bottom piece. After that I use a shop vac, then flush the line.

Comment

the puller i have has a spring loaded ball bearing in the handle. the ball is inserted into the hollow cartridge and then pops into the port where the water inlet of the cartridge is located. this allows the tool to engage the cartridge and then you can twist and turn. works every time.

before this i would use a 1/2'' pipe easy out to twist and turn.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If the cartridge is in one piece. Before one breaks its not that difficult. You don't even need a tool, nice to have though, just take the plastic piece that comes with the new cartridge. You know, the one that nobody can figure out where it goes.....put it on the old cartridge and use it to twist and break the seal of the cartridge, then just pulls right out.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

So that's what that pin is for on my tool. I assume the little ferrule is to keep the pin depressed and allow it to bypass the first oring groove?

Comment

For the stubborn Moen cartridges that don't like to come out, I use my torch on low heat to ease them out. But sometimes I can't even use that.

Using easy outs are 50/50 for me.

I don't like drilling them out, because if you scar the housing with your drill bit, the faucet will drip when you install the new cartridge.

Comment

Working...
            X