Moving Bathroom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Bathroom

Hi I'm being forced (wife) to move my bathroom around. I have two questions.
    First question: What keeps the water from backing up into a shower when the commode is right beside it. The water level in the commode is higher than the shower drain. The reason I ask is last summer my septic was full so my commode would not flush yet water never ran back into my shower even though the water level in the commode was a foot higher than the shower drain.

Second question right now I have my shower, commode and vanity sinks on a same wall with a vent pipe somewhere in the mix. I’m now moving the shower to an adjacent wall with the shower being about 8 foot for where it is now. The vanity sinks are going to be moved the other adjacent wall opposite the shower and commode it will be about 8 feet from the where it is now. I’m thinking of hitting the sewer plumbing where my existing commode now sits and running the line straight out into the room about 5 feet with a tee to going to right about 3 feet for the new commode then extending the new main two more feet with a tee to the left running about 5 feet to vanity. Then extending the main about another 4 feet at a 45 angle over to the shower. My question will the existing vent work or do I need to extend the pipe to the shower another foot or two and come up in the wall with a new vent.
    I tried to draw a picture buy it shifts.

Thanks for any help or suggestions
    Rev Ed

Perhaps this would be more clearer this way.
    The area I'm working with is 10.5 by 13 ft. The east and west wall are 10.5 and the north south are 13.

Presentently on the west wall is the existing shower, commode and vanity in that order. The commode is about in middle of the 10 1/2 foot wall

I plan to put the shower in southeast corner of the area and commode about 6 ft west of it on the south wall and the vanity directly across from them on the north wall.

My plan is to tap into the sewer at the existing commode and run a pipe east about 4 to 5 feet at that point elbow a pipe due south for the commode and about a foot later elbow a pipe north for the vanity. Then after a foot or two to put a 45 elbow and pipe toward the southeast corner for the shower. My question can I use the existing vent pipe or do I need to install another one say on the end of the shower run?

This is in a concrete slab so I want to do it only once. Also can I use CPVC for the supplies or should I used copper. I have been getting mixed opinions.

Thanks for any and all help!!!!!!!
    Ed
    Rev Ed

Comment

Its hard to picture exactly what you mean with the piping without a pic, but it sounds plausable. The water in your WC doesent back up into your shower because its held in the bowl. When the wc flushes it overflows the bowl within the toilet using the water from the tank the resulting suction caused by the falling water is what drops the water level down to the bottom of the bowl when you flush.

The vent should be fine, however you may want to check with local codes.

If you have the equipment and know-how to solder, use type k copper and silverbrite solder, also I personally strongly reccomend the use of braided SS supply lines from the cr-19's to the fixtures. Dont skimp on these as a line popping off when you arent home can easily cause a catastrophe that your insurance may not cover.

Comment

Re: Moving Bathroom

We are designing the old house that we bought... and we want to make a bath at the upper floor.. it is possible to connect it to the same waste conduct with the one from downstairs or not?
        I must say that the upper bath will be in the opposite direction of the lower floor bath and that we have some stairs in the middle of the house that don't permit the pipes to be seen and also I can not make holes in all the rooms from upstairs to put the pipes.. any idea?
        thanks
        Website counters | Hit counter free download

Comment

Working...
        X