Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap Meet Score

I got this for 20 bucks because the guy had not a clue about what it was

Looks like it was never used, the thing is I needed it 2 weeks ago.

Re: Swap Meet Score BAD BAD MAN !

We'll isn't this great ! Go to ST. Marys and throw a $50 in the poor box,You scoundrel!
    I never have this luck !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

And I thought I got a great deal at $325.

I filled under the plastic with foam sealant to keep it from breaking.

Comment

i just paid 130 delivered for the "rems eskimo" freeze kit. pretty much a clone to the general unit.

the ones to stay away from used a discontinued can of cold spray that was bad for the ozone and was discontinued.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have never needed one after I bought a jet sweat kit....what are the advantages?
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

2 different applications.

jet sweat is used when you can shut the water and need to stop the flow/ dripping from the line to make the soldered connection.

pipe freezer is used when you can't shut off the water. either the valve is broken, there is no valve, or they won't let you shut down the system such as a hospital, office complex large apt/ condo.

the trick is that there can't be any flow in the line you need to freeze.

a pipe freezer and propress are a win win combination for jobs that you need to get in and out of. it's a specialty field and you get paid accordingly because of it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I've had one for over 20 years and used it maybe a 1/2 dozen times with limited success. It's a lot of money for a tool that's marginally useful at best but you got a great price on it. I am a big fan of Jet Swett set. At 1/4 the price of Pro-Press and 1/2 the price of a freezer, it is a set of tools that gets used much more often with good and predictable results. I consider a Jet Swett kit to be an essential for any plumbing truck.
              sigpic

Comment

i have large freeze bags, ridgid electric super freezers and now these freeze collars.

my go to freeze set up is the electric ridgid superfreeze as it's plug and play. as long as you have power, you have freezing. as long as the line is not in use/ flowing.

i've never failed to freeze a pipe and i've never taken on every job i was asked to freeze.

the whole thing about freezing pipe is knowing what is feasible and what's not to freeze. the last 2 i was called upon, i looked at 1 and discussed other options and the other i spoke in detail to the plumber and told him it will not work under those conditions.

liquid co2 is -110f. it's cheap and easy to handle.

while liquid nitrogen is -346 to - 321f. but much more dangerous to work with and handle and transport. plus much more costly.

remember that water in motion will seldom freeze. especially when you're only trying to freeze an inch or two of the total system.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I am still looking for a Jet Swett kit, I would have been SOL if I didn't have a Pro Press last week.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                    I am still looking for a Jet Swett kit, I would have been SOL if I didn't have a Pro Press last week.

Any plumbing supply should be able to get the kit. If you are going above 2" then I recommend the ones with a hose adapter on the back end for a drain. My 3" JS is made that way.... safety feature.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Save your money on the kit. buy just the gaskets. Add some all thread, tubing, washers and a nut and you got the same thing.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Save your money on the kit. buy just the gaskets. Add some all thread, tubing, washers and a nut and you got the same thing.
                        you can use properly sized neoprene tubing such as 1/4 and 5/16 fuel line, 1/4 all-thread, and some nuts and washers as Ben said. I made one once when we didn't have time to go out and buy a jet-sweat. It was a barracks refub at Little Creek Ben about 15 years ago.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Yeah. it was important to think of the tools if it was heavy duty. In plumbing job, you need to get a kit in order to keep your plumbing tools.
                          How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Reading this post made me realize I probably should have purchased the Jet Swet last year at the PHCC trade show....$180 for the #6100 kit was probably well worth it...
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                            X