X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1st pinhole leak 24hr. 7 day hot water recirc. Leak

still their copper is a metric size and not the same as our 3/4'' id/ 7/8'' od. they make npt x bst adapters, so it's doable.

i'm sure steve could machine bst threads if he had a decent order.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      still their copper is a metric size and not the same as our 3/4'' id/ 7/8'' od. they make npt x bst adapters, so it's doable.

i'm sure steve could machine bst threads if he had a decent order.

rick.
      I knew they were metric but I didn't know they were different sizes on the copper. Learned something new today.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

that's the real issue with metric and american systems. if it was just calling it something different, then it's not a big deal to learn a new phrase. the problem is that metric and amreican don't interchange for the most part. there is no metric equivalent to our standard 2x4 lumber. but then again there is no standard 2x4 much anymore

construction standards and dimensions would have to be adapted to match what's out there. look how the car repairs have been the last 30 years with the intro to metric sizes. all over the place some metric some american and some

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
          Kevin, it's no charge so put it in and see if it works for you. Plumbus do you ever run into the pinhole leak problem? If so private message me with an address and I'll send you one as well.
          Steve
          Steve. You are too kind! I will install it in My own home and report back. I would like to purchase some for My customers ,so please send Info. Be well Kevin
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have had 2 pinhole leaks - one 2 years ago in the copper pipe coming out of the hot water heater and the most recent in a 1/2inch copper pipe, 2 inches from 90 joint - ?recirc return line. We have an 006 taco recirc pump that is not on a timer. Do you think that is the problem? It was recommended that we replace pump with 003 and put on timer. Also, possibly replace return copper pipe in unfinished basement with plastic pipe. Also, if we do this, is there a lot of damage already done to pipes, or can we hopefully be in the clear ?thoughts.
            thanks!

Comment

Some contributing possible causes. Plumbers attitude, Not reaming cut pipe! Causes cavitation. Water Quality. The smart guys will be by a Lil later.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by edl View Post
                I have had 2 pinhole leaks - one 2 years ago in the copper pipe coming out of the hot water heater and the most recent in a 1/2inch copper pipe, 2 inches from 90 joint - ?recirc return line. We have an 006 taco recirc pump that is not on a timer. Do you think that is the problem? It was recommended that we replace pump with 003 and put on timer. Also, possibly replace return copper pipe in unfinished basement with plastic pipe. Also, if we do this, is there a lot of damage already done to pipes, or can we hopefully be in the clear ?thoughts.
                thanks!

ok there are a number of factors contributing to your problem..

1- how bad/good is your water quality? harder water typically deterioate the pipe faster.
                2-no timer is NO bueno. that thing is running 24/7-365 and why? I set my systems to fire and cycle during peak usuage times.
                3-new pump wouldnt be a bad idea.
                4-like said above some sort of flow control valve, i usually just do like the old schoolers and put in ball valves and throttle them down.
                5-DESIGN of the recirc system is another big one IMO to many 90's and what not more cavitation and the "erosion" effect in the line the worse off you are. I try to do the systems with the least amount of fittings and turns possible. I have came across some before where between 2 -90's it has pinholed and was PAPERTHIN and then i cut a section out like 2' away and it wasnt all that bad.
                6- replacement of the easy and accessable line you speak of in the unfinished basement probally isnt a bad idea. and this is where people will hate me but i think one of the best things about PEX is the thick wall of it to limit or totally eliminate "pinholes" out of a system. I think PEX would be IDEAL in this situation. of course installed PROPERLY and i only use vieja and uponor systems the rest is garbage IMO.
                7- if you can or havent already get your hands on one of the flow control valves the rookieplumber has made.
                8- Worksmanship.... literally a shot in the dark just hope the guy who installed it gave two sh1ts about his work an took a little pride in it when he ran the system.
                9- you might want to look into a guy who can replace that return line with the PROPRESS system as there fttings are more of a radius and would help with cavitation problems. Also the propress fittings are very thick walled i beleive classified in the K range? (im sure someone could tel you more about that). and tell your plumber to use type k copper(thick walled) instead of any m sh1t, and im sure L would suffice.

If it was me I would start off replacing pump, then put it on timer, then install some ball valves and throttle them down or install a flow control valve, then i would replace then return line in PEX, and then if problems still occured possibly replacing the entire system. And yes the damage to the exsisting pipes are already done... not sure how bad the situation is but reember pinhole leaks are sometimes HUGE issues when water damage comes around and what not... actuall just did one that ended up causing like 15k of damage to the home and most notably the guys book collection and files. RUINED like a huge library this guy had in his house when a pinhole on the second floor went un noticed for like two weeks..... guy fina lly noticed it when the water stream from pibhole bored through the drywall and started soaking his woodflooring.

Comment

edl, pretty much matt was right on the button.

how old is your recirc system? is it type m or l copper?

unfortunately, i don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but all you're buying is time right now with your new pump and timer. how long will it take if you unplug your pump? if it's acceptable, then keep it unplugged. also cut out the bad section and examine the inside or post some high resolution photos for us to see.

it's sort of like a cancer that's non curable. sorry, but the damage is most likely already done.

try unplugging and check the wait time.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You see cancer, I see an opportunity to make some bucks
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X