X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st pinhole leak 24hr. 7 day hot water recirc. Leak

One of My customers has a 45 Year old Eichler , slab on grade home. They have an older grunfos recir. pump coming off the bottom Tap of W.H. The pin hole was at the
    copper union on the pump. Not at the sweat joint but in the middle of the fitting. I explained ,it was cavation, and He was rolling the dice on His under slab piping!
    I suggested He upgrade to a new home comfort series,with timer and Temp. clip.
    I did this after a long hard day ,drained tank and only soldered the leak. I didn.t have a new fitting! I feel He's going to roll the dice $$$ Only so much I can do. Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 1st pinhole leak 24hr. 7 day hot water recirc. Leak

what you need tool is my buddies steve's patented flow control fitting. it will limit the flow to 1 gpm and slow down the wear and tear.

i'll see if he chimes in with a link or pm you with the info.

the fitting is approx. 2.5'' long and is 3/4'' mip x mip.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick
      Tool, what you need is one of my flow control devices. Like Rick said, it will reduce the flow velocity on a standard low head pump from almost 5 gallons a minute to a little over one.
      Most pin hole leaks on copper return lines come from the turbulence generated by excessive flow. Passive or (gravity) recirculating systems have the hot water just creeping along
      and no one ever complains about the wait time.

Comment

Most commercial plumbers install a ball valve open about halfway open, it does the trick. I take the handles off and tie it to the valve with a little tape. You will need a valve on both sides anyway.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
          Thanks Rick
          Tool, what you need is one of my flow control devices. Like Rick said, it will reduce the flow velocity on a standard low head pump from almost 5 gallons a minute to a little over one.
          Most pin hole leaks on copper return lines come from the turbulence generated by excessive flow. Passive or (gravity) recirculating systems have the hot water just creeping along
          Thank You Steve. Please send Me a P.M. about Purchasing Your product. Hope You had a full recovery. Kevin
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
            Most commercial plumbers install a ball valve open about halfway open, it does the trick. I take the handles off and tie it to the valve with a little tape. You will need a valve on both sides anyway.
            I've never seen full port valves either side in our area! Makes sense for service alone, and clever for flow control.

Comment

The half way open ball valve is still to much in my opinion. Before I came up with my idea I spent a lot of time measuring flow rates with ball valves and flow meters. I finally found that cracking the handle in a slightly open position worked the best. Taking off the handle was a must as most people walking by this type of modification would feel their need to help out what appeared to be an over site.

Comment

The half way open ball valve is still to much in my opinion. Before I came up with my idea I spent a lot of time measuring flow rates with ball valves and flow meters. I finally found that cracking the handle in a slightly open position worked the best. Taking off the handle was a must as most people walking by this type of modification would feel their need to help out what appeared to be an over site.

Hi Steve. I still have your little device, I saw it the other day in one of my bins!! Thanks again for it!
                I would either use Steve's device or a globe valve. A ball or gate valve is not really the best way to regulate flow or pressure. I am sure Steve can post a picture, if now, I can of his device.
                Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Thanks Rick
                  STEVE, THANK YOU SOO
                  MUCH ! I am embarrassed this reply is late in coming! Your product is AWESOME ! Please send Me a price so I can purchase these in the future. Kevin

Comment

Bizzy Bee has a good idea.

Balancing valves can be used for this purpose. But, they are a bit pricy. And, they have to be custom ordered. I'd be interested in seeing this home brew invention.

Comment

Kevin, it's no charge so put it in and see if it works for you. Plumbus do you ever run into the pinhole leak problem? If so private message me with an address and I'll send you one as well.
                      Steve

Comment

i don't want 1

i want 3

forget the p.m. call me.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick
                          Steve, can you send on details. Must admit havent come across this yet but sounds like something worth knowing about. Not sure what size pumps you guys have but our Grundfoss circulators are small three speed units. Amazing how little it takes to get the wate circulating. I know it is mentioned that the hot water takes just a little longer but is that really a problem. Steve are they available to be mailed out to downunder???????????????

Comment

cleanman, we pretty much use the same pumps, but there are plumbers that think a bigger pump is better. too much velocity and 24/7 will ruin copper.

problem is steve's flow restrictors are threaded 3/4'' npt. you guys are bst. not the same. bill does the same to me with nozzles

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Have it sent with copper x MIP adapters or brass nipples and he could retread the other side with a nipple chuck.
                              Last edited by Gettinit; 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • conductor fault locating
                              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                              X