Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to enlarge a granite top hole.

1 1/4 needs to go to 1 3/8th. Thanks.

Re: Need to enlarge a granite top hole.

You need a 1 3/8 Diamond core bit and a drill to do it safely.

Some rental places have the bits but they charge by the 1000th for ware.
    Last edited by OkieBill; 05-13-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

home depot now sells bits by ridgid that are an inexpensive diamond grit core bit.

the other way is to get a 1/8'' - 1/4'' carbide burr in a high speed dremel/ die grinder and route it out slowly.

i always use water/ wet sponge to keep the dust down and keep things cool.

pretty simple task.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, OkieBill. Great information.

Comment

I have the rotozip Floor Tile Bit XB-FTC1 1/4" diamond surfaced bit that I use in my rotozip for things like this and for some tile cutting and shaping. works awesome and is quite easy to control and handle.
          Last edited by Alphacowboy; 05-13-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I've never done this in granite so I can't tell you if it will work. It can be done in Corian.

Make a template in the diameter you want the hole to be in a piece of plywood. Make it big enough to provide a flat surface for your router to ride on.
            Clamp or otherwise secure the template where you want the hole to be located, maybe some double stick tape will work.
            Use your router and a carbide pattern bit to enlarge the hole following the pattern with the router and bit.

If you go with the RIDGID diamond bit in your drill, you can still use the template secured to the countertop with double stick tape.
            Make the hole in the template the same size as the OD of the bit. Secure the template at the new hole location.
            Now you can use the drill with less worry about the bit wandering.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 05-14-2012, 05:12 AM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, the template idea works awesome, I use that a lot when drilling holes I need to be precise.

Comment

Re: Need to enlarge a granite top hole. ANOTHER ANGLE

Cut a piece of 1/2" plywood ,Approx. 3 1/2" X 12" . Using a 1 3/8" wood hole saw, drill a hole centered both ways . Now to hold the template in place ! Use two 1x3s on the plywood ends, sprung off of the ceiling using two sponges or rags ,so You won't leave a mark. When It's secure. You can drill with control with a diamond 1 3/8s core bit. Good source of these bits is any tile supplier. Good luck Tool , Da Carpenter
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

with these type of diamond bits, holding the bit on an angle will allow the bit to score the surface and not walk. especially with a 1.25'' hole already there, it's very simple to use the existing hole as the hole is used to spot the new minutely larger hole. once scored, then just start to tilt it level.

remember this is not a finished hole but rather a hole that a faucet will cover.

now drilling a hole in a cast iron sink while still preserving the enamel takes precision tools and skills.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t24566/

rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-14-2012, 09:44 AM. Reason: link
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    now drilling a hole in a cast iron sink while still preserving the enamel takes precision tools and skills.
                    rick.
                    I've had success with the Relton kit, as have you, Rick.
                    https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t24566/

Comment

Rick is correct, its not a finish hole that will be visible. But still; if you are wary or this is a first time evolution; a little insurance can't hurt.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

I pick up the phone and call the nearest Granite fab shop. I don't do granite and I'm dang sure not paying to replace that high dollar slab when I mess it up.
                        Will Rogers Plumbing
                        Moore, Oklahoma
                        (
                        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I ended up using a Roto-zip with a bit like the one Alphacowboy suggested. Very easy to control, took all of three minutes. Cut through the granite like butter. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                            I ended up using a Roto-zip with a bit like the one Alphacowboy suggested. Very easy to control, took all of three minutes. Cut through the granite like butter. Thanks again.
                            I would have thought the dremel would take forever.....noted.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • conductor fault locating
                            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

A Roto-zip is a bit more powerful than a Dremel tool. Its closer to a hand-held mini router without the base plate, just a spindle end.
                              There are a number of attachments for the various Roto-zip tools that will let it do many tasks.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/5lXD4DWXaVY

www.rotozip.com

http://youtu.be/7FdkJ3V9_Uc
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 05-15-2012, 05:49 AM.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X