X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat pump Water heaters

Can someone educate me in these, never installed or done work on them. Any good or bad brands, issues, etc?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Heat pump Water heaters

Expensive and hard to sell a maintenance contract on one. You can't put it in most livable spaces do to room sizes. It doesn't really offer a good enough savings IMO to warrant one. It is a standard electric heater, used as such most of the time, with a very inadequate heat pump on top. The heat expelled into the water is minimal at best. I have yet to find a customer that could benefit from one.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I will add this, not to you, most plumbers should stay away because they couldn't/shouldn't work on one. A plumber with some sort of HVAC background on the other hand, go for it, if the application fits.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • and other specialties.

Comment

I have installed 8 or 10 so far. There can be space issues it needs lots of room for air flow and access to do maintenance. There is a filter on top to pipe around and the t&p is usually lower so you may have to do some repiping. I have done only the GE model but people love them once the are up and running.

Comment

Take it with a grain of salt, this info came from my state water heater rep. But, according to him in 2015 any electric water heater 50 gallons and up will have to be heat pump. Supposedly the equivilent gas heater will have to be a condensing model. 40 gallons and larger will have to meet a higher energy factor, which means more insulation again.
          If any of that pans out to be true we' will all have to get used to them.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
            Take it with a grain of salt, this info came from my state water heater rep. But, according to him in 2015 any electric water heater 50 gallons and up will have to be heat pump. Supposedly the equivilent gas heater will have to be a condensing model. 40 gallons and larger will have to meet a higher energy factor, which means more insulation again.
            I know an inspector that deals with the code officials and writing NC amendments. He has yet to mention anything like that. I would like to know where this rep pulled this info.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              I have heard this too. I know the energy use standards are going up. I don't know if they will get that high that fast. They have come up wih some better gas heaters too.

Comment

Those heatpump water heaters are never run, due to demand, in an avg. home to meet their specs. They are full of it.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

All I can add to this is for years the ground water heat pump and the solar assisted water heaters came and went. That tells me there wasn't enough savings for the homeowner to keep up with the maintenance so they slowly disappeared.
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                    All I can add to this is for years the ground water heat pump and the solar assisted water heaters came and went. That tells me there wasn't enough savings for the homeowner to keep up with the maintenance so they slowly disappeared.
                    I think the solar assisted would have gained more ground if there were better installations/materials. I think there can still be a market with solar, especially with all of the advancements.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

I put a heat pump model in for a customer that he bought at are electric co op
                      It took up a lot more space and was louder than a refrigerator
                      I dont want one !!

Comment

What if you could use the same heat pump as you do for the house, take the waste heat when running in AC mode and dump it into the water heater. In the winter when running as a heat pump it is just another load for the heat pump. The noise and the extra space requirements are moved outside. Access for maintenance is improved too.

Patent pending.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          What if you could use the same heat pump as you do for the house, take the waste heat when running in AC mode and dump it into the water heater. In the winter when running as a heat pump it is just another load for the heat pump. The noise and the extra space requirements are moved outside. Access for maintenance is improved too.

Patent pending.

They had done this in the past with commercial heat pumps. I am not aware of the real life problems and advantages. I do know some companies in Florida tried using a retrofit kit on a standard electric heater and it didn't last a year. The freon lines rubbed holes in themselves...I think that was the biggest problem.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Up here in Northern Minnesota they would be useless. We hardly ever have humidity and I doubt the thing would ever kick on. If they ever require me to install this garbage instead of regular electric wh's I'll quit installing them. More time for fishing right?

Comment

a local hardware/ home improvement chain out here had the ge model on display. after several months and price drops, they closed them out. for me, less then 10% of my heaters are electric. 1970 was a big push for all electric homes/ medallion homes. i have a few complexes with all electric.

as far as solar heating water. a few months ago i disconnected my last customers leaking solar storage tank. there would never ever be a payback if it was replaced. between the 2 pumps, collector, tank and controller, it's a waste of money for return of investment. only reason why they were suckered into it over 20 years ago was the tax benefits. they already were on their second tank and numerous pumps.

tankless is a step up from solar and i still don't see a payback ever. i do see a lot more calls for tankless problems and leaks. mainly due to poor installations and lack of maintenance.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X