Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weird call

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    They said I left a magnet on their refer, which I do, but they weren't in my records.
    Is it possible that for some reason you didn't have them in your records and that you had actually serviced them before?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      I would have shown up for the job as agreed the last time you spoke to each other.

I can see I'm not going to win any support on your turf, lol
      Same here. You'll do more damage to your reputatation by blowing them off. Just because you have no record of them shouldn't exclude them from service.

It is our policy to call before showing up. Unless it's far out of our way, we'll still dispatch on a no-answer.

Comment

why didnt she call after he was late after an hour and not 2 ?
        why would she call him back if she already had some one else come to fix it ?
        makes you think
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          why didnt she call after he was late after an hour and not 2 ?
          why would she call him back if she already had some one else come to fix it ?
          makes you think
          well, if you had been stood up. what would you do? just walk away or call and give the person
          a piece of your mind or maybe just let them know how they inconvenienced you by not showing
          up and not calling to say you could not keep the appointment.

Maybe they waited until 10 then they called the second plumber. And maybe they waited until
          that person showed up before they called the first just in case the second guy didn't show.

I think (generally speaking, not directed at Ben) if you take a call and make an appointment and
          say you are coming you should be there or call and give reason why not. Even if you have to make
          a polite excuse because you have a bad feeling about them, whatever the reason, to just not call or
          not show is gonna cost you down the road. And yes I have never run my own plumbing business
          but I worked in the trade for many years and did some jobbing for a few of those so I have an idea
          what I am talking about. And I certainly can see it from the customers side. You don't want the call
          then you need to tell them you can't make it. Say whatever you have to (dog died, flat tire, etc.) but
          say something. Everyone on here says referrals and repeat business is where most of their work comes
          from. Well I say you won't last long if you stand up one or two calls a month.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

719 is close to here...was the exchange 836 or 839?

how strange... where was the address? iffy neighborhood?
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have had a few bogus calls. One recently took me to the North side of Chicago, the neighborhood was so so. I get there, ring the unit number, and an old man comes to the door asks why I am there. I told him I was there for unit # 203 (not sure if that is the number anymore), he tells me that unit been vacant for some time, and there has been plumbers, electricians and other people that where called out there in the last 3 months.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                If I had accepted a call for service I would have honored it at least to explain the situation if nothing else.
                Gear: If it was me I would have gone to the job if I had spoken to someone and had actually made an appointment. Of course if it was me I never would have checked my records to see if I had worked for them before. ) I don't remember a great many customers till I go back to their place then see them again. Then I'll remember. In any event, if you decided you weren't comfortable going that's your call and it's usually a good thing to listen to your "gut". (My gut is telling me it's dinner time. So Adios!!)

I find when I give someone the benefit of the doubt it usually works out OK, but not always.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  I have had a few bogus calls. One recently took me to the North side of Chicago, the neighborhood was so so. I get there, ring the unit number, and an old man comes to the door asks why I am there. I told him I was there for unit # 203 (not sure if that is the number anymore), he tells me that unit been vacant for some time, and there has been plumbers, electricians and other people that where called out there in the last 3 months.

Ron it sounds like someone is amusing themselves by watching people showing up and wasting their time. I'll bet you could give the number to your phone service provider along with a complaint and something might be done about that. Especially if there's a repeatable history going on. Dealing with wackjobs might be a downside of advertising vs pure word of mouth.

Comment

I always call before going out to a call. If I cannot reach the customer, the call moves down my list till I can reach them to confirm they are actually going to be there. Too many times I have had to eat so much travel and wait time for a no show customer that I just will not go unless it is someone I have a history with and know something about.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                      I always call before going out to a call. If I cannot reach the customer, the call moves down my list till I can reach them to confirm they are actually going to be there. Too many times I have had to eat so much travel and wait time for a no show customer that I just will not go unless it is someone I have a history with and know something about.
                      THANK YOU! Another Guy with a brain.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post

If I have committed myself for a service call I'll be there rain or shine unless an emergency comes up. Having called them prior or not. Sometimes people are outside doing things, are elderly and cannot hear the phone ring or just plain don't feel like answering their phone.

I've been averaging 17 calls per week for the last 27 months and have been stood up only twice. Yes it pizzed me off but it's a small price to pay for having to deal with the general public.
                        Last edited by AssTyme; 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          THANK YOU! Another Guy with a brain.

Sounds like a hassle to me. I don't call prior to coming out unless they request that I do so or if I'm running late.

Comment

You guys can write anything you want to..... I just want to know what the deal was? Gear (Ben) go over there and find out lol
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Not worth it. I leave cali at the end of the month and this was the reason why I didn't want to go. At first I did when I accepted the call but then thinking about it later made me change my mind. AND, if I can't verify that someone will be there, I won't show up and I tell the customers this when they make an appointment. I just thought it funny that some people were telling me I was wrong without asking to know the full details. They just assume.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                                Not worth it. I leave cali at the end of the month and this was the reason why I didn't want to go. At first I did when I accepted the call but then thinking about it later made me change my mind. AND, if I can't verify that someone will be there, I won't show up and I tell the customers this when they make an appointment. I just thought it funny that some people were telling me I was wrong without asking to know the full details. They just assume.

Gear, I don't think there's really a "right" or "wrong" in a situation like this. There's just what you decide to do based on your situation. Is it close or a long ride. Is the neighborhood a war zone or is it really nice. Did you get a vibe that you want the people as long term customers or no. You might be considering a dozen variables without even realizing it. I'm sure we all do.

I shared what I likely would have done and why as did others. Consider the info to be like a buffet. You can take what you want and leave the rest.
                                Last edited by geno gardner; 05-18-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X