X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathroom stoppage

Got a stopped up bathroom that's doing something I can't explain. Toilet dumps into a short turn 90, then goes and catches the lav which is three by two combo on its back. From that it goes and picks up the tub with a three by two wye. after four flushes, the toilet fills up to the rim.

When you run the tub or lav, it bubbles up into the toilet. But the toilet wasn't draining into the tub. I'm confident the whole bathroom is stopped up as there is paper in the tub from before I got there. But I can't explain what its doing now. Thanks in advance!

Re: bathroom stoppage

Originally posted by stolen View Post
    Got a stopped up bathroom that's doing something I can't explain. Toilet dumps into a short turn 90, then goes and catches the lav which is three by two combo on its back. From that it goes and picks up the tub with a three by two wye. after four flushes, the toilet fills up to the rim.

When you run the tub or lav, it bubbles up into the toilet. But the toilet wasn't draining into the tub. I'm confident the whole bathroom is stopped up as there is paper in the tub from before I got there. But I can't explain what its doing now. Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like a few things going on. One check the vent, that may be the bubble issue. If the whole bathroom was blocked the toilet wouldn't fill and not dump into the tub. The toilet needs to be augered because it has a problem. The whole group may have been stopped up at one time and contributing to your current problems.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

A toilet needing augered doesn't flush a few times then stop up. It flushed a full three times then plugged on the fourth.

Comment

Not trying to be rude, just seems that way when writing it out...

Comment

so the question is why the tub wasn't filling up instead of the toilet overflowing.

since the toilet uses a siphon action to flush, there was no siphon to help suck the water out. the tub uses a 1.5'' waste line, trap and it's most likely full of paper and waste. running water will still equalize in the 3'' waste line. but the 3'' waste line is not 100% plugged as it takes a few flushes to fill.

same reason why a toilet will fill and overflow with excess soap suds from a laundry, yet the tub and shower that's lower will not get soap suds up into it.

now on a completely plugged waste system and a tub not stopped with waste and paper, the water would equalize if filled slowly and not flushed. pretty much a water level.

of course the lav is at 34'' off the ground and not going to back up to that level.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

When I run up on a toilet and auger it, sometimes it runs through with no resistance. I flush paper three or four times and by the fourth its stopped up. Sometimes I have to pull it and run it backwards or use a pair of pliers to pull out whatever is hanging the paper and letting me go by with the auger. If for instance a can of skoal, common here, is dropped in. Since it is round sometimes its up letting water go by and sometimes it closes to not let anything go by. Once pulled you can also put a camera through, two birds one stone....just my two cents. These things happen.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

Tub is bubbling in toilet but toilet is not coming up tub..... strange...... Rod the main and go from there..............

Comment

Camera the line and look for an obstruction that's acting like a flapper.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just an update. My Foreman was the one to actually un stop the bathroom. Said he pulled the toilet, water in flange so he ran the k 7500 and pushed whatever it was on though the system.

Im all stuck on why the toilet didn't drain into the tub. But the tub drained and caused air bubbles to come into the toilet. Its killing me!!!

Comment

Just an update. My Foreman was the one to actually un stop the bathroom. Said he pulled the toilet, water in flange so he ran the k 7500 and pushed whatever it was on though the system.

Im all stuck on why the toilet didn't drain into the tub. But the tub drained and caused air bubbles to come into the toilet. Its killing me!!!
                    Sometimes its nice to just put things behind you.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

I don't like having to say "I don't know".

Comment

I don't like having to say "I don't know".
                        I'm the same way....learning from each and every experience/challenge is a good way to become more proficient in what you do.
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I think the reason it would bubble up in the toilet is because it is the highest point in the horizontal run. So when it stopped up downstream of the tub, there was air trapped in the three inch. And when you poor water into the stoppage, it forces air up into the toilet.

Comment

Working...
                          X