Mystery pipe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mystery pipe.

I think that style is kind of like a bottle trap; it has a baffle or baffles inside, kind of like this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7155760-0-large.jpg

I may just be wrong and it is a simple bucket and the outlet is supposed to be the higher fitting however you install it.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Bloody hell!!! I followed the link to the EPA site which explains RADON. I thought before I knew what it was but wow, another thing you guys have to deal with. I suppose because we dont have issues like this downunder we never think about things like this. At least if we do have issues like tis they have been kept quiet.
      Excuse my ignorance but how did the RADON get there and why is it the Plumbers who deal with it.

Comment

Oh yeah, have to agree with anearlier post, workmanship looks pretty "ordinary" and this is trying to be kind and not upsetting anyone. I know looks dont mean as much as the system actually working. However when I train apprentices they know that leaving blue glue like this is going to attract lots of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
          Bloody hell!!! I followed the link to the EPA site which explains RADON. I thought before I knew what it was but wow, another thing you guys have to deal with. I suppose because we dont have issues like this downunder we never think about things like this. At least if we do have issues like tis they have been kept quiet.
          Excuse my ignorance but how did the RADON get there and why is it the Plumbers who deal with it.

I'm no nuclear scientist but I played one on TV once.

Radon is a by-product of naturally occurring uranium and thorium, as it decays off radon is one of the isotopes created. So where you have uranium in the ground you can have radon. Radon is a radioactive gas. It is orderless which makes it difficult to detect without obtaining samples and having them analyzed in a lab.

The danger to humans comes from the radioactive particles of radon that get attached to dust particles and become airborne and then can be inhaled. The radioactive then can become lodged in the respiratory system where they will decay off and while doing so expose the person to alpha and beta radiation. normally alpha particles are not of much concern because of their low energy. they can be stopped by a sheet of paper or your skin tissue. but since they are inside your body in your airway and lungs, they can contribute to the total exposure along with the beta particles.

In NJ licensed plumbers with the proper specialized training can install radon venting systems. Because these systems are made with materials and utilize joining methods that plumbers are familiar with it was natural for them to do the work. Radon vent systems get inspected by the mechanical inspector and the work falls under the mechanical code. there is not a peep about radon in the plumbing code(NJ code that is).

Search the net and you should be able to find loads of information about radon and where it exists in North America and other continents.

BTW, Australia is one of the top uranium producing countries in the world, so I am sure you have radon there too.

Further reading from the WHO
          http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publication...547673_eng.pdf

Oh, I don't think this is a radon vent, at least it shouldn't be tied into a plumbing vent/drain system if it is.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 05-27-2012, 05:36 AM.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

If one has a camera one could alway take a inside look and see where it goes?
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
              Isn't the drum trap upside down, if it were to be actually acting as a trap?

And the really important issue, why is there no legs on the back of laundry tub?

LOL. You're absolutely right! I hope I was so shocked by the rest of it that I never really gave the trap a real look.

You know what this means? The kitchen sink isn't double trapped. Yay!
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

A couple of things. What specific purpose did the customer call You out for?
                I would never be allowed to use METAL Plumbers tape to suspend any Plastic pipe .
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I would never be allowed to use METAL Plumbers tape to suspend any Plastic pipe .
                  We are allowed in NC. As far as hangers and supports, I would never try to compare California with the rest of the country due to your earthquakes.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    The house is being sold and the buyer's inspector caught that the kitchen sink is not properly vented. There are a few other code compliance issues with the house but none that seem to be related to the kitchen sink and mystery pipe.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a vent.....same way you'd vent an island sink drain in a kitchen.
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Its the vent wanting to go through the roof
                        That never made it

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                          Its the vent wanting to go through the roof
                          That never made it
                          Delcase,

There is a main vent stack on the other side of the house... where the bathroom is.

Although you may very well be right about it being a vent since it's clearly not a drain.

Comment

I got the go ahead to do repairs on that job today. It's going to be a week or two before I can get to it. I'll be sure to share better pics, and run a camera down the pipe to see what the heck is going on. I can hardly wait.

Comment

I spent the day yesterday correcting the code deficiencies in the mystery pipe house and I'm happy to say we have an answer. Folks who thought it was a plumbing vent were correct! Sadly I don't have pictures because it was 10 pm when I finished up and wasn't thinking about pics just then. I'll get some pics next week. Yesterday was a 15 hour day for me. I'm aching this am. Geeze.

The spare 3" pipe on the right hand side ties into the underground drain with a san tee on it's back. Water flows through that tee from the laundry tub, and also from the kitchen sink. The spare 3" line ties in to the 3" waste stack (kitchen sink drain) and, ultimately, despite the oddball connections runs up through the roof. It was also backpitched, and the the kitchen drain had apparently backup into it at some point because that was some of the nastiest smelling goop to come out of a vent that I've smelled in quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                                I spent the day yesterday correcting the code deficiencies in the mystery pipe house and I'm happy to say we have an answer. Folks who thought it was a plumbing vent were correct! Sadly I don't have pictures because it was 10 pm when I finished up and wasn't thinking about pics just then. I'll get some pics next week. Yesterday was a 15 hour day for me. I'm aching this am. Geeze.

The spare 3" pipe on the right hand side ties into the underground drain with a san tee on it's back. Water flows through that tee from the laundry tub, and also from the kitchen sink. The spare 3" line ties in to the 3" waste stack (kitchen sink drain) and, ultimately, despite the oddball connections runs up through the roof. It was also backpitched, and the the kitchen drain had apparently backup into it at some point because that was some of the nastiest smelling goop to come out of a vent that I've smelled in quite a while.
                                One of the biggest reasons I try to never dry vent, backups staying behind.
                                AllurePlumbing.com
                                • leak detection
                                • drain cleaning
                                • utility locating
                                • conductor fault locating
                                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                                X