X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery pipe.

I looked at a job today and saw a pipe that remains a mystery to me.

The kitchen sink drain runs through an S-trap under the sink itself. The KS drain drops into the basement and into a drum trap. The drain exits the drum trap via a1-1/2" non long turn 90 and short increases to 2" horizontal. The 2" line runs horizontal another 5 feet then runs into a 3x2x3 san tee on it's back. Out of the top of the 3" tee a 3" st 90 (In the joist space) runs perpendicular to the 2" kitchen sink drain. This 3 inch line which I suspect is a vent runs vertically 6 feet then turns vertical above a duct. (I think). Now, this 6' long flat "vent?" is below the floor of the kitchen. The kitchen sink drain then continues on horizontally another 6 feet in what became a 3" line at the tee. The KS drain then drops vertically into a waste stack through what's an odd piping arrangement in these parts. At the bottom of this stack is a clean out tee. AND a laundry tub drain with no vent.

The mystery pipe is another 3" pipe that comes out of the floor next to the 3" waste stack. It's tied into the other 3" line near the ceiling. Check it out. Any ideas what that might be?

The plumbing a piped isn't in the same galaxy as the Minnesota State Plumbing Code. However, it seems to me the pipe is so oversized it's functionally vented and should work. Although the double trap is problematic.

Regarding the mystery pipe: No bathroom nearby. No fan anywhere for radon.

I should have grabbed an image of the 3" tee on its back but didn't. Sorry.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Mystery pipe.

Is it possibly a Radon Reduction System? Very common in IL and they use 3" schedule 40 PVC for it.

Consumer's Guide to Radon Reduction | Radon | US EPA

-chris

Comment

May be their version of a vent. I bet it ties back into the drain. Pop a test t in it and slide a camera in it.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I vote vent.

Comment

Have them let you at least put a p trap under they tub.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

That's weird

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              Is it possibly a Radon Reduction System? Very common in IL and they use 3" schedule 40 PVC for it.

Consumer's Guide to Radon Reduction | Radon | US EPA

-chris
              Swade,

I was wondering if it might be a radon system. If it is a radon system then I suspect some yahoo didn't know what they were looking at and merged all the piping they found together. In which case it should be unmerged. demerged? dismerged?

However, the 3" waste stack pipe and the suspected radon pipe appear to be the exact same age, based on same pipe markings and coloration. What are the chances a plumber would simultaneously install plumbing and a radon removal systems. Around here that number would approach zero. Then there's the inconvenient fact that there's no bathroom on this side of the house, and there never was, so why is there a 3" waste stack, and seemingly 3" vent for a kitchen sink drain and laundry tub? I can see the abandoned kitchen sink drain and old laundry tub vent above the existing laundry tub. So I expect a homeowner handyman would see these and not size everything to 3".

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                Swade,

I was wondering if it might be a radon system. If it is a radon system then I suspect some yahoo didn't know what they were looking at and merged all the piping they found together. In which case it should be unmerged. demerged? dismerged?

However, the 3" waste stack pipe and the suspected radon pipe appear to be the exact same age, based on same pipe markings and coloration. What are the chances a plumber would simultaneously install plumbing and a radon removal systems. Around here that number would approach zero. Then there's the inconvenient fact that there's no bathroom on this side of the house, and there never was, so why is there a 3" waste stack, and seemingly 3" vent for a kitchen sink drain and laundry tub? I can see the abandoned kitchen sink drain and old laundry tub vent above the existing laundry tub. So I expect a homeowner handyman would see these and not size everything to 3".
                If it were radon you would see a fan somewhere, right? Some people think bigger is better, that may be the reason for the 3" or the fact that if they were to add a washing machine the dfu on two inch wouldn't be enough. If they knew enough to figure for the dfu's, they would have piped it correctly.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

'aye carumba.jpg' rofl

reading the description I was visualizing some old mess like there would be here. shocked to see a new mess in pvc. why would anyone even make a mold to cast drum traps in pvc?

My hope:
                  It's the ho's propriatary radon mitigation system. Uses grease and food waste to render soil under home less porous and seal radon in.

My actual vote: vent.

Agree with others; whack it open and camera it and see where it goes (if they'll agree too pay you). You've got to be dying to hear from them who put it in.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    If it were radon you would see a fan somewhere, right? Some people think bigger is better, that may be the reason for the 3" or the fact that if they were to add a washing machine the dfu on two inch wouldn't be enough. If they knew enough to figure for the dfu's, they would have piped it correctly.
                    Yep, a fan and a manometer type gauge. None of that here.

Almost tempted to lower my price to make sure I get to investigate further.

Comment

Isn't the drum trap upside down, if it were to be actually acting as a trap?

And the really important issue, why is there no legs on the back of laundry tub?
                      Last edited by Don the plumber; 05-26-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Radon systems can be installed without the fan and gauge for future use. When we did new work, we always roughed-in for radon, but it never looked like that mess I saw in these pictures.

Personally, I don't think it's a radon vent, and if it is, the guy who installed it should be horse whipped in a public setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                          Isn't the drum trap upside down, if it were to be actually acting as a trap?

And the really important issue, why is there no legs on the back of laundry tub?

The tub is probably anchored to the wall ???

Yeah, WTH is with that drum trap, lol !!!

Comment

I've usually seen the drum traps installed the other way round too, I think mostly because they were typically used on tubs and mounted flush with the floor so you could unscrew the cap and clean them. However, if I remember what they look like inside from a cutaway view I can't find anymore, they'll work as a trap in either orientation.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              I've usually seen the drum traps installed the other way round too, I think mostly because they were typically used on tubs and mounted flush with the floor so you could unscrew the cap and clean them. However, if I remember what they look like inside from a cutaway view I can't find anymore, they'll work as a trap in either orientation.

Yeah but the way this one's installed it isn't holding any water/working as a trap. The water is all running out

The flow is supposed to enter from the drum bottom, fill up and exit through the top leaving a water barrier (trap).

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...PUBMAg&dur=372

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=271
                              Last edited by AssTyme; 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X