X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Issue

I have a drain in an upstairs laundry that I am replacing. It is a 2 inch line (part number D41-001) that the upper seal ring is not reusable. I bought another 2 inch line drain, same manufacturer, but the threads do not match up, or the old one is a little smaller than two inches. Anyone ever come across that before? Any ideas? The base seems to be cemeted on, so right now, I am looking at using the dremmel to remove old one from the inside, but there isn't much pipe before a turn to allow for much error, so I am hoping someone has an idea that would allow me to keep the old base. I have considered just filling the space with putty and sinking a new drain into that (like a donut), but I am not overly keen on the idea, either.

Thanks in advance for any help you have.

Re: Drain Issue

We love pics. That part no. means nada to me.

Comment

can I have the SKU number please

Comment

You may get more responses by posting in the "Ask The Plumbing Experts Section"... The Plumbers that like to dispense free advice go there

Comment

Thanks, I will take it over there.

I will see about a picture later today.

D41-001 15 2” PVC Shower Drain with SS Strainer & Receptor Base 717510410013

I found the sticker on the side. But the replacement 2 inch one doesn't thread in, it is a little larger and the grooves are a little different. I looked for a metric equivelent, but no luck there.

Comment

Originally posted by sp8 View Post
            Thanks, I will take it over there.

I will see about a picture later today.

D41-001 15 2” PVC Shower Drain with SS Strainer & Receptor Base 717510410013

I found the sticker on the side. But the replacement 2 inch one doesn't thread in, it is a little larger and the grooves are a little different. I looked for a metric equivelent, but no luck there.

Your product is a Jone Stevens. http://test.plumbest.com/files/jsc_d...atalog/M19.pdf

So you're working on a 2" pvc shower drain type connection in a disaster pan that sits under a wash machine? (Since you mentioned laundry area in the 1st post I was visualizing a wall box)

If that's the case you probably shouldn't use putty since that softens PVC, silicone would be a better material to use, but isn't really a legitimate connection.

I don't know how much room you have underneath but there is a company that makes a shower drain that you can replace completely from above. It is a compression type connection. I have one in my truck. (I bought it to see how it worked) I probably would not trust it for a shower drain, but I would use it on a disaster pan. The trick is you have to have some clean pipe underneath the pan. If you have an internal pipe cutter you could remove the old drain, glue a coupling from above and add some pipe for the new above "install" shower drain to actually be installed. But you mentioned an elbow so that might not be possible.

You might also try and get different brand shower drain tops to thread down. Last year I had a customer who damaged a shower drain when they tried to pry it up to clean under it. (You just can't make this stuff up.) I ended up locating a new shower drain top online by checking specs of different manufacturers. (In this case the solution was a company called Plastic Oddities). It took about three weeks for the new strainer to come but it worked, preventing a large kitchen and dining room ceiling below from having to be repaired, and re-textured so it was worth it.

Good luck.
            Last edited by geno gardner; 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
            X