Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Great Propress debate"

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    I was under the impression San Diego has been allowing PEX for many years now - I recall the inspector saying they were allowing it in SD back in 2003 when he stopped by to inspect my plumbing for a whole house humidifier. Having said that I don't recall him saying anything specific about potable water so it may have been just for radiant heating.
    it was allowed for a few years and then got pulled. took several more years to get it back. all union lobbyist trying to keep it out of calif.

that was the last time i actually used it on a few repairs with great results.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=plumber rick;377843]
      Originally posted by plumber rick View Post

so now you're knocking the abilities of the other forum members who took the time off and spent the money to attend. Not the ones who said they were coming and flaked out without even letting ridgid know. Real class act of you.
      i'm not knocking anyone's abilities just pointing out that your are the only guy here that would take any of that "fun outing" as a serious demonstration of ability. Talk of "class act" you are the guy that has to point out the thousands of tools and how big and expensive your van is at every opportunity as though you think you are impressing anyone. Rick and administrators; ever wonder why 90% of the plumbers that used to post here left. I have one word. Or perhaps it should be re-named ricks ridgid forum.

stolen set his own ground rules and they were not the same as what yours are. Remember the bet was with your. Not some young guy driving his only transportation and willing to gamble it away sight unseen. I'm pretty sure you could afford to lose a $2000 bet. It doesn't sound like stolen can afford the loss.
      so if you are all that concerned over what he can afford to loose why not lower the bet? We all know the answer to that one. You trumped up the bet with me because you knew damn well that the chances of me taking you up on it 3000 miles away were pretty slim. Stolen is right in your back yard.....man up

once again, put your money where your mouth is and spend a few days at ridgid with the other forum members. I''m sure you'll see i'm real and there's no chance of you beating me in any of the contest they put together. You really think you can still work with the tools 8+ hours a day 6 days a week and not pass out. I doubt it. Plenty of time to plan ahead to clear your schedule.
      if i didn't think your pompous *** would be there i very well might attend. i know i can work 8_ hours a day, six days a week. I've been doing it since i was 12.

rick.
      sigpic

Comment

if you spent this much time actually helping people on the forum instead of complaining every chance you get that the trade is dumbing down and the general public is stealing our work, maybe you could actually help someone on the forum. all your good old boys really think they are hiding behind a forum that doesn't cater to non plumbers is a joke. anybody can read all the trash you guys talk over there. have you actually gotten 1 job from your good old boys forum?

i had to turn off my p.m as i was getting overwhelmed with plumbers and the public looking for help. the difference is i help people and other plumbers, while all you do is hinder them every chance you get.

lets me get this straight. wasn't it you that started the wager on this propress and i offered you the chance to prove it but 100 post later and you're still trying to weasel out of it. trying to come up with every excuse you can to knock me.

why not just go back to your good old boys forum and keep making up the lies like your other post shows. the post another non plumber even called you out on and had a good laugh.

have fun teaching the kids old school with no intent to teach them the future.

don't you have some packing to do. takes you 2 weeks to pack some tools and under an hour to do a not so common repair. really hope your kids don't read the forum and see what you're all about.

time to pack. don't want another excuse why you're not ready.

i guess it's ok for the kids to compete, but the seasoned pros can't compete. but then again i guess since you've never been to a roundup or roadshow, you wouldn't know.

come out and prove yourself. looser leaves the forum forever.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

What are the zip codes you service?

Comment

Are your supply houses stocking the fittings and pipe yet? I have been using the pro press with pex press jaws for install pex, and recently the new plastic pex fittings with smart connect system. I am a little uneasy about using the manual tool. Since the pro press tells you when it needs to be serviced.

Comment

[QUOTE]
              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              if you spent this much time actually helping people on the forum instead of complaining every chance you get that the trade is dumbing down and the general public is stealing our work, maybe you could actually help someone on the forum. all your good old boys really think they are hiding behind a forum that doesn't cater to non plumbers is a joke. anybody can read all the trash you guys talk over there. have you actually gotten 1 job from your good old boys forum?
              I don't go out of my way to help DIY'ers. Note that true to my word I have not posted on the DIY part of this forum in a few years now. If it makes you feel good to offer your free advice and you can pat yourself on the back then by all means do what you want to do. Nobody is "hiding" behind anything. It's a forum for PROFESSIONAL plumbers not service hack wanna be's You won't join there because they would eat you alive. We don't put up with your pompous, "I'm better than you and have more than you and everybody loves me crap"
              i had to turn off my p.m as i was getting overwhelmed with plumbers and the public looking for help. the difference is i help people and other plumbers, while all you do is hinder them every chance you get
              Any plumber asking you for help is one sad SOB of a plumber, and sure the public is all over you because you have no problem consulting for free.

lets me get this straight. wasn't it you that started the wager on this propress and i offered you the chance to prove it but 100 post later and you're still trying to weasel out of it. trying to come up with every excuse you can to knock me.
              So I take it that you are NOT going to offer Stolen a chance to try LOL. I "knock" you because of your BS statement that that job can't be done without using Pro-Press in less than 5 1/2 hours and most of us real plumbers know damn well that it can.

why not just go back to your good old boys forum and keep making up the lies like your other post shows. the post another non plumber even called you out on and had a good laugh.
              There are no lies there, only your inability to follow a thread.

have fun teaching the kids old school with no intent to teach them the future.
              What "future" the one where you don't need to know anything except how to pull a trigger and push fittings together? A future where nobody knows or understands venting because you can slap an AAV on it? You are the embodiement of everything wrong with the profession today Mr. " I can thread a piece of 3/4 steel in 66 seconds" as if time was the only criteria for good plumbing. Keep on a hacking away.

i guess it's ok for the kids to compete, but the seasoned pros can't compete. but then again i guess since you've never been to a roundup or roadshow, you wouldn't know.

Ohh the Roundup. How many guys attended the last "roundup"? And you consider that small event to be the measure of a plumber? You are and have always been a pompous ***. News flash; Plumber Rick sweeps the competition at the annual Ridgid Round-Up Rick accepts trophy and declares himself the best plumber in the whole world. Get over yourself.

come out and prove yourself. looser leaves the forum forever.

Why? Prove what? I hold master licenses in 5 states. I am RSES certified, a certified welding instructor, a certified plumbing re certification instructor a certified NORA/NEFI instructor. What do I NEED to prove? That I can thread pipe in 66 seconds? LOL
              sigpic

Comment

This fight is sad to watch / read...

Both Rick and NH are Pros,

Rick has a need to have his ego stroked and his tool addiction is well documented...

NH you are a testament to the trades and a point of inspiration for many. I also stay away from the DIY sections for the same reasons. There is a reason alot of great plumbers stopped visiting this site and the traffic to this site is slumping...

This place is more like Terry Loves every time I stop in...LOL

There are better places for Pros to hang out and not get caught up in the EGO fest or bombarded by the Hack-a-thon

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                  Are your supply houses stocking the fittings and pipe yet? I have been using the pro press with pex press jaws for install pex, and recently the new plastic pex fittings with smart connect system. I am a little uneasy about using the manual tool. Since the pro press tells you when it needs to be serviced.
                  I'm still not to convinced about all this "servicing" for propress tools. Basically they're all the same, work the same way. Yet only a few like Ridgid require being serviced. I called Rothenberger a few months back and was told it had nothing to do with the jaws. The servicing was for checking for hydraulic leaks etc. nothing more.
                  I only use the Viega hand tools for pex and was told that they never need servicing unless you get one to break. I can fly with the hand crimpers compared to using the hydraulic tool for pex and it's a good work out too! LOL

Hey do you want to make a bet I can crimp more fittings faster in one hour with my Viega hand crimper than you can with the hydraulic tool?

Comment

Okie, you have probably read through the thread on the "other forum" by now and no doubt you have seen post 75 which you will notice was never edited as Rick seems to think it was nor did I at any time there repeat anything other than Rick's original post which says that the job could not be done without pro-press in under 5 1/2 hours. Also of note is that of 106 posts there maybe 2 professionals there that agreed with Rick while everyone else concurs that the "repair" itself can be done well withing an hour and that's what this whole thing is about. It's not about staging or turning the water on and off, travel time, prep time or any of that other stuff that Rick is now adding to the scenario. Right from the beginning I have said that the "repair" itself, and that would be cutting out the old elbow and replacing it can be done in under an hour and I still say it can. Everything else has been smoke an mirrors and back peddling. I am not stroking anyone ego here or elsewhere and if the mods boot me off for hurting poor Ricky's feelings then so be it but that will be just another indication of the downward slide of the plumbing profession. Better to shut out the truth than face it. I don't care if someone defends his methods. I have had many a spirited discussion with IronRanger and while I don't necessarily agree with him I respect his position and have never felt the need to stroke his ego or give him a trophy for doing his job.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                      I'm still not to convinced about all this "servicing" for propress tools. Basically they're all the same, work the same way. Yet only a few like Ridgid require being serviced. I called Rothenberger a few months back and was told it had nothing to do with the jaws. The servicing was for checking for hydraulic leaks etc. nothing more.
                      I only use the Viega hand tools for pex and was told that they never need servicing unless you get one to break. I can fly with the hand crimpers compared to using the hydraulic tool for pex and it's a good work out too! LOL

Hey do you want to make a bet I can crimp more fittings faster in one hour with my Viega hand crimper than you can with the hydraulic tool?

Hand expanding 1" Uponor is what gave me Popeye forearms

There is no doubt you can hand crimp 1/2 and 3/4 faster than hydraulic. Probably twice as many.
                      sigpic

Comment

They make a pex adapter for the press tool?
                        Really?

Hand expanding one inch was fun.
                        Even more fun when its cold.

How about that challenge at the next round up Rick? Crimping one inch pex rings?
                        Press vs hand crimpers.
                        Last edited by stolen; 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Okay guys, lets behave or I will close the thread.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Okay guys, lets behave or I will close the thread.

Mark
                            Mark, you are welcome to lock the retarded "Cut concrete with an angle grinder and a garden hose thread"

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                              They make a pex adapter for the press tool?
                              Really?

Hand expanding one inch was fun.
                              Even more fun when its cold.

How about that challenge at the next round up Rick? Crimping one inch pex rings?
                              Press vs hand crimpers.

You can buy pex jaws for the propress but they are for crimping, not for expanding. You can buy a different battery tool for expanding Wirsbo. I had one for about two weeks and sold it on ebay. Thought about doing more Wirsbo (didn't happen) That thing was SLOW!

My pex of choice is Viega pureflow and most of my pex is 1/2 and 3/4 so the hand crimpers are really nice, quick, and easy.

Comment

I have both battery for Uponor and an air powered one which is a whole lot faster but you need a compressor on site. I only ever use either for 1" and larger
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X