Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Great Propress debate"

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Okay guys, lets behave or I will close the thread.

Mark
    My apologies Mark, the thread did get out of hand and now its off the tracks but I am done commenting about the original topic here anyway.
    sigpic

Comment

management company decided not to shut the water to the complex and instead repair the the 2.5'' 90 with my suggestion of a full circle repair clamp. total repair including the ladder setup and take down with copper cleaning prep was a whole 15 minutes.

they also had both regulators replaced without shutting down the system. nice to have multiple regulators. and yes, the valves did not shut 100% 145# of incoming pressure.

photos showing the location of the repair on a 20' little giant ladder.

these clamps i've used before and they account for the fitting to pipe offset. it's a waffle grid full circle overlapping tapered rubber sheet. they come up to 14'' pipe and larger sizes can be doubled up. not a cheap clamp, but a permanent repair used in the oil fields, waste, potable, industrial sector. they even have saddle tees.

5/8'' bolts and 25' pounds to torque too for this size.

of course the propress would require a shut down in a large complex after midnight with no access to all the shops and gym with pumps that needed shut down and bleed and restarted. management wanted a solution without the shut down and startup.

so although i figured it on propress, the repair clamp turned a midnight job with no access into a daytime job freeing me up to have lunch with joey and still going out jetting for the afternoon

see my double root ranger thread.

rick.

close up of the clamp. notice my date and initials.

top left corner is the repair with the ladder staged over the exit ramp.

as you can see i've got my safety belt on, but didn't want to think about hanging around.

that's a 20' ladder extended up as the pipe is 15' straight up.

as you can see, the original water spot on the ground was very minimal and i dried it with the torch while working on the regulator station to check for leaks. i think the only reason why it was repaired was the drip was over the car path 2 drips a minute or less.

clamp was more costly than the 90 and 2 couplings, but there was no need to work late night and have to drain and restart the system saving them a lot of money.

rick.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-13-2012, 12:29 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

After all this discussion there was no propress?

Do you need to use a torque wrench for those bolts to set the torque?

Comment

Sort of anticlimatic but a good solution to the problem.
          sigpic

Comment

If the leak is in the solder joint it is a matter of time before the water etches a path beyond the rubber. This is a time bomb. The only saving grace for your warranty will be it is a slow drip rather than a steady stream. If it were a pin hole in the copper that would be a different story.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

If the rubber has enough contact I don't see that happening for a very long time if ever. Considering all the issues associated with turning the water off and then back on again I think that that was the logical way to make the repair.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                After all this discussion there was no propress?

Do you need to use a torque wrench for those bolts to set the torque?
                the 5/8'' bolts are massive for only 25' pounds. but like anything else, common sense while tightening is the key. the nuts are tightened from the center out and as things make up you just alternate the tightening. i used a 1 1/16'' open end wrench and just used slight hand force on the 1' long wrench.

actually there was 1- 1/2'' sharkbite used for the drain line of the wye strainer. they had both wye strainers tied together into a common 1/2'' blow down. the shark bite allowed me to reconnect them and provide a union at the same time.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  If the leak is in the solder joint it is a matter of time before the water etches a path beyond the rubber. This is a time bomb. The only saving grace for your warranty will be it is a slow drip rather than a steady stream. If it were a pin hole in the copper that would be a different story.
                  these are commercial clamps from a manufacturer that supplies this style among hundreds of different styles around the world. the clamp is specifically designed for the slight offset of the fitting and joint. the smaller sizes have a .40'' and the larger allow .80'' offsets. the waffle grid pattern and full circle encasement is the trick to their success remember that the original leak was less than 2 drips a minute. even if it was a full blown spray or a chunk of pipe missing they are rated for 350# of pressure. they are a permanent repair and not a temporary fix.

i have used them since we discovered them back in 1984 on a new hotel with 6'' joints that were starting to fail. try shutting down a large hotel and replacing 6'' fittings in a drywalled wood framed ceiling without turning off the water or closing the hotel. wouldn't be too many guest pleased with no water.

once again these are not you cheap hardware store off the shelf clamp. they are specifically designed for this application among others as they have hundreds of different sku's for just about any repair imaginable. they are the largest in the business and sold worldwide. because of all the different sizes, they are special order from my supplier. but they are available next day if necessary and even 24/7 if you're willing to pay.

i've recommended them to another forum member with great results also for a hotel job.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I thought you said you worked alone. Who is that old guy you sent up the ladder? Nice clamp by the way.

Comment

a cell phone camera from far away will add years to ones look.

my new phone i'm eyeing has 2 forward cameras and a rear facing. not sure if the 3d will show up on a monitor.

is 49 considered old today?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, care to share who the manufacture is?

I've never seen a clamp like that before, and that is something I could definitely use in the 1 high rise I take care of.

Comment

check your mail.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            check your mail.

rick.
                            I got it..thanks Rick.

Comment

Not sure why its so hush hush. Looks like a Smith Blair clamp.

We have used simmer of these, but only on larger diameter pipe. Not pipe to fitting

Comment

Tyco is another.
                                AllurePlumbing.com
                                • leak detection
                                • drain cleaning
                                • utility locating
                                • conductor fault locating
                                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                                X