X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Great Propress debate"

Long time lurker first time poster. ( I think)

I always enjoyed reading your post Rick and agreed with a lot of what you have said in the past but this is ridicules.

Have fixed many pipes just like this in the past and patching is not in my tool bag and this is what this is “A Patch”.

Freeze kit and prefab the repair pieces is all that is need to repair and not patch. Another thing is when talking to building manager I would price him on insulating pipe, especially where the clevises are and put a saddle under them. I would also recommend to them if they have another leak to also schedule putting in a few selective isolation valves throughout the area for future.

I believe with new easier tools and techniques we all tend to get one track minded and think this is the only solution and forgetting these type repairs have been taking place for over a half century before propress was even thought about.

I have to give you an F for fail on the repair and an A on the patch for using a commercial clamp.

As far as the propress debate I can go along with its use in some situations in service repairs on cold lateral lines but never in new construction. That’s just me everyone else should do what they want it’s their business and their customers.

Comment

ccp, i'm glad this post finally got you to join in the forum conversation instead of just lurking.

the original repair was going to be a propress 90 and 2- couplings. problem is this block long complex is occupied by a very large health club along with other commercial stores and shops.

freezing is not an option as there is no way to prevent water movement through the system. all it takes is a toilet that runs, a filter that runs, a trap primer that runs even a janitor that's cleaning. not to mention 2.5'' copper takes well over an hour in ideal conditions with no flow to worry about. with propress, dripping water was not the issue.

the issue was that we had no access to the stores to restart and flush out the air. not to mention that the gym has a large heater and circ. pumps. once again without proper access to shut down and restart, i wasn't going to ruin pumps by letting them run, when this was a non emergency repair.

every water district in america uses this companies clamps. not only as a repair clamp, but they make saddle clamps for cutting in a tee and clamps that allow you to join 2 pieces of pipe. this particular clamp was actually one of the smallest ones in their line up and is rated for 350#. the initial leak was less than 2 drops a minute. not exactly a disaster. if it wasn't for the location of the drip next to the car ramp and walking path, i doubt they would have even been concerned or known about it.

there are many repair methods available including a silicone self fusing stretch / rescue tape that would have also worked, the contractor who hired me wanted the clamp over the tape and the management company chose not to shut down the system to do the repair. even the 2 regulators were replaced without a shut down.

liability is a hugh factor when working in this environment. can you imagine turning off the water, draining down and restarting it without any of the places open to verify that nothing is running or open. it's not uncommon to have a ballcock fail when you shut off and refill. especially when the system would be full of air in the large bore pipe that runs several hundred feet in 2 directions. a parking structure with over 18' tall ceilings is not a small place. don't know about your liability insurance, but fortunately mine has never had to be used.

glad this thread is what brought you into the mainstream of the forum.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, man if you fell the shock from that strap would really hurt if not outright injure you. Then imagine hanging on your side where the clip is located till help actually helps.

Heck, you own everything else under the sun why not complete your collection and stick one of these in your truck. NS® Fall Protection Full Body Fall Harness & Lanyard Combo - 26979 - Northern Safety Co., Inc. It's got a shock absorber on the strap. $65 for the setup.

That's a sweet ladder!!
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

thanks gene. i know that my safety harness is old school. but at the time i needed it, it was either a rope or a fall. not sure what would feel better. broken ribs or broken bones

i guess if i make a habit of working high off the ground, i'll invest in your harness. my belt was left over from a job in the 80's used while i was working inside a steel monument at a park.

heck even a bungy cord attached around my ankles would be more fun.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

That took some guts Rick. I was more entertained, however, by your going down the hill in the ball. That looked hilarious. I could see you spilling a chocolate shake doing that.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I think you should challenge NH, to see if he could do that faster.

Comment

Working...
              X