Recipe or new home?

Comment

• Re: "The Great Propress debate"

new home
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        I have a three full bath colonial with laundry room coming up. How much to pipe it with copper and Pro-Press

Oh come on, you know that any "good" plumber would do it in pex! So did you try the poor man lobster yet?

Comment

Yes and yes I did and I have to tell you that that may well be your best post of the year LOL. Did it with Toag and OMFG the flavor, the texture is unbelievable and normally I hate Toag. It takes all the fishyness out of it and leaves it with a buttery sweet flavor. Truely I can't rave enough about it. I tell all my fishing buddies. I'm bass fishing all day tomorrow so I'll have another species to try it on. Thanks again.
          sigpic

Comment

What's this poor mans lobster ?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              What's this poor mans lobster ?
              I mostly do it with Northern Pike but you can do it with any firm white fish. Cut the fish in long strips, cut them in large bite size pieces. Boil them in 7up until firm (cooked, turns white), get fancy and dip them in melted butter with powdered garlic mixed in using tooth picks. Tastes and has the texture like lobster.

Comment

Yes and yes I did and I have to tell you that that may well be your best post of the year LOL. Did it with Toag and OMFG the flavor, the texture is unbelievable and normally I hate Toag. It takes all the fishyness out of it and leaves it with a buttery sweet flavor. Truely I can't rave enough about it. I tell all my fishing buddies. I'm bass fishing all day tomorrow so I'll have another species to try it on. Thanks again.

I don't think I would do it with Toad, sounds gross.
                http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ec...Toad/atoad.jpg

JK..... is Toag a bottom fish? Looks like some of the rock fish I used to catch on the west coast, ocean fish right?

Comment

Nope. Around here Togue (sorry, misspelled it the 1st time) is also lake trout, which naturally, tastes nothing like brookies, rainbows or browns. It's a lot fishier and firmer of flesh
                  sigpic

Comment

You only post that because you know that I can't be there. Why not let Stolen take up the challenge or is he a little too close LOL
                    I love seeing two millionaires, duke it out. I'm sure soon enough they will

Comment

I'm no millionaire, I'm a public school teacher
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                        Hey Rick what's up with the pex out in California are you guys using it yet. The other thing I was wondering is I have like four customers that live out in California and have houses or rentals out here in baltimore would you take any new customers ?
                        californai was the last hould out on pex and it was a union thing. finally last year they pretty much approved it for potable water across the board. radiant heat was never an issue.

depending where in california they are. do you have a zip code? otherwise there are plenty of good forum memebers here that range from san diego all the way to northern california.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally Posted by PLUMBER RICK
                          i know for a fact, it can't be done, the contractor who's hired me and the management company also knows it can't be done in the time constraints they need. that's why they hired me.

You said that in an earlier post, emphasis on "I know for a fact, it cant be done"

in response to your 1 hour bet that you wagered.

lets see. on the other forum, you pretty much said that i couldn't do it in under 5.5 hours and you don't believe that it's a city block long

Show me where I said that on "another forum" although I do wonder somewhat about an entire city block being fed off a 2-1/2" main but then it is California and they do some strange things out there. LOL

i've already copied and pasted that in an earlier post. even blue can had a chuckle when he mentioned post 75 from the other forum. which happens t be the one you wrote and i coped from. don't tell em you already edited it.

lets see. 165# before the regulators and other than a health club/ gym. the rest of the complex are rental stores. pretty much a sink and toilet. not too many fixture units with those shops. but then again, you know more about this job from n.h. than i do after looking at it.

the set up time might not quite be the same. all i need is an extension ladder to work from. soldering 2.5' copper requires 2 free hands. 1 for the torch and 1 for the solder. not sure if you can safely hold onto anything on the extension ladder.

You can't hang your torch from a hook off the ladder? Surely in the half million or so dollars worth of tools you have you can find a hook somewhere. LOL

hanging the torch is not the problem. last time i soldered, it takes 1 hand to hold and feed the solder and 1 hand to work the torch. at what point did you think i needed to hang my torch. i can see it's been years since you've done real field work. you would need a change of underwear when you're 15' up with no hand on the ladder.

remember you're the one that stated that you could do it under 1 hour. what amazes me is you own 2 propress tools and for some foolish reason, you would rather solder this job than use a tool especially designed for a repair like this. not quite sure what you're really teaching your students. sounds like the union i was in for 15 years. the longer it takes and more manpower, the happier the union is. at 1 time we were not allowed to use all thread hanger rod. we had to cut and thread steel rod with no more than 2 inches of thread on each end. just so that it employed more people and used more labor to get the same results. a hanger to support the pipe.

What I said was that the repair could be done in under an hour without Pro-Press. I never said that Pro-Press was a bad way to do the repair and in fact if I had the job to do I would probably drag mine out but you insisted (see 1st quote by you) that Pro-Press was the only way this could be done on time which is BS and you damn well know it's BS. If you didn't own a press would it make sense to go out and buy one just to do this job?

now you know why i was referred the job and not the original plumber who's customers it is. remember you're the one who said you could do it in under an hour. i know for a fact that it can't be and put up the first class flight, hotel and meal.

as far as 35 years, you can't even do the math. 1975 to present is 37 years. 1/2 million in tools might be a stretch. but well over 1 million invested in the business. i work by myself and over 1500 of my customers get me. if it's not me, i'll refer them to a buddy that can get there in time. just like the dozen or more other companies that refer me to jobs they don't do.

If I read through past posts of yours the math gets real fuzzy. It ranges from 22 years to 35 years and now 37 years.

with all the time you've spent on this forum and site. you haven't figured out my experience is listed over 15,000 times. every time i post, it's in the upper right hand corner and i haven't changed anything in my profile since i joined. unlike others who are too shy to even show their face or their real location and real bio.

Again, it's just you so why invest in all those tools. They don't appreciate in value and if you really do have what you say you have that would be one of the poorest business decisions possible. BTW, there is a pretty finite amount that a one man show can make based on the amount of time available for working, planning, advertising, taking care of paperwork etc. The IRS has all that information in their little (ok big) blue books and anyone that is in business or has tried growing their business is well aware of the constraints there.

how many times do i need to remind you i don't advertise. i don't spend a dime on advertising. tools are what it takes to get the job done. i started buying my first tools at the age of 10. that's 39 years ago and i have amassed a small fortune in tools and specialty equipment. remember who purchased 2 of the 3, 1 of a kind ridgid k-1500 customer drain machines. all the money raised went back into the plumbing trade for scholarships. heck i probably ended up with some of that money into your program.

i work 6 days a week and 37 years of working full time has allowed me to buy everything i need to get the job done. just because you can't see that, is not my problem. i'm sure there are member here who know first hand i'm 100% what i say i am and have.

so now you do want to come out and play by your original rules.

You only post that because you know that I can't be there. Why not let Stolen take up the challenge or is he a little too close LOL

2 reasons why. first off he wants to bet his only car, of course i don't need another car. and secondly he wants to start the time once he cuts the cooper. not accounting for all the time he spent pre fabbing the copper 90 and unions. that only leaves him 2 joints to solder in the hour. the whole debate was you said it could be done under an hour. you're the one that challenged me and i offered you a chance to prove it. but your schedule is so busy that it takes you 2 weeks to pack the tools for the kids contest on the 23rd.

why not come out to the next roundup and prove yourself. i've already been there both times and have 5 trophies to prove it. not to mention the other goodies for a non official contest i also won.

you really want to keep coming back with more excuses and play of words.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds. You "won" 5 trophies at the round-up, really? How special. Is that like an Olympic event? You competed against maybe a dozen guys at a promotional event and that proves what?

Where is the logic in one man owning a half dozen of the same tool? I don't see that. Really I don't. Are you afraid that you might break 5 in a day or so?

I imagine that if you asked him Stolen would go by the same "rules" that were first proposed.

And no, I'm done with this tread and "playing with words" You can add it to another of your special wins. I'll mail the trophy or should I mail a half dozen or so LOL
                            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 06-10-2012, 12:20 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;377253]

i'll take yo up on that bet. i'll pay for the first class flight, first class hotel and first class meal, if you come out here on my dime and show me you can get this done in an hour or less. it's a total of 2- 2.5'' copper couplings, and a 90. 15' straight up in the air. a whole city block of businesses to shut down and drain.

i know for a fact, it can't be done, the contractor who's hired me and the management company also knows it can't be done in the time constraints they need. that's why they hired me.
                              now if you really think sight unseen, you can get it done in an hour, the flight, hotel and meals are on me. when you fail, the tabs on you.

you sure you want to risk the $2000.00 vacation on a sight unseen job.

i know for a fact i couldn't get the water to stop dripping in an hour. add in the union and the 2.5'' jet sweet along with the extra joints and prep time, you're well over an hour and that doesn't account for 15' height off the ground. now add in the scissor lift to give you a work platform and then you could have paid for all the material.

still want to risk the $2000 flight, hotel and meals. if so, mark knows how to get a hold of me.

i rather doubt too many have the years of experience soldering large bore pipe and fittings. my 15 years of new construction and another (22 years of service) allowed me to work on 6'' copper fittings on a regular basis. being new work, water was seldom a factor and neither was time as the buildings were empty while under construction. back then we had 50/ 50 solder and real flux. today we have decent lead free solder, lousy water soluble flux and lines with water in them.

you will either be the hero that you think you are or the clown for thinking you can do it. my $2000. bet is with bozo. make me eat my words.

rick.
                              Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds. You "won" 5 trophies at the round-up, really? How special. Is that like an Olympic event? You competed against maybe a dozen guys at a promotional event and that proves what?

Where is the logic in one man owning a half dozen of the same tool? I don't see that. Really I don't. Are you afraid that you might break 5 in a day or so?

I imagine that if you asked him Stolen would go by the same "rules" that were first proposed.

And no, I'm done with this tread and "playing with words" You can add it to another of your special wins. I'll mail the trophy or should I mail a half dozen or so LOL
                              so now you're knocking the abilities of the other forum members who took the time off and spent the money to attend. not the ones who said they were coming and flaked out without even letting ridgid know. real class act of you.

stolen set his own ground rules and they were not the same as what yours are. remember the bet was with your. not some young guy driving his only transportation and willing to gamble it away sight unseen. i'm pretty sure you could afford to lose a $2000 bet. it doesn't sound like stolen can afford the loss.

once again, put your money where your mouth is and spend a few days at ridgid with the other forum members. i''m sure you'll see i'm real and there's no chance of you beating me in any of the contest they put together. you really think you can still work with the tools 8+ hours a day 6 days a week and not pass out. i doubt it. plenty of time to plan ahead to clear your schedule.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                californai was the last hould out on pex and it was a union thing. finally last year they pretty much approved it for potable water across the board. radiant heat was never an issue.

depending where in california they are. do you have a zip code? otherwise there are plenty of good forum memebers here that range from san diego all the way to northern california.

rick.
                                I was under the impression San Diego has been allowing PEX for many years now - I recall the inspector saying they were allowing it in SD back in 2003 when he stopped by to inspect my plumbing for a whole house humidifier. Having said that I don't recall him saying anything specific about potable water so it may have been just for radiant heating.

Comment

Working...
                                X