X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low tank toilets

Got to rebuild 5 of these back inlet works of art. Anyone have a source that doesn't reach deep, deep, deep into your pocket?

Last edited by Plumbus; 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM.

Re: Low tank toilets

Well, if you don't mind using a Fluidmaster....the ones made for Kohler's 10" rough tanks are pretty tall. That should save you a lot. Whoever stocks the 2" flush ell. Check with Wolverine Brass or Plumbmasters. Anyone else seems to sell crap. Wolverine has a good all brass lever that is inexpensive. It looks as though from the pics you already deal with WB. Moen sells that style handle for about $25 (the one in the pic)

Check the bolts holding the tank to the wall first.
    Last edited by Gettinit; 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

do you need the all brass ballcock.

the flush valve is a must with the flush ell and the spud is pretty cheap too.

lucky for them it's not an elevated wall mountt/ pull chain toilet. big bucks for the chrome waste and water lines.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Better to use low cost materials but be sure to look for the quality and durability of it.
        How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          do you need the all brass ballcock.

the flush valve is a must with the flush ell and the spud is pretty cheap too.

lucky for them it's not an elevated wall mountt/ pull chain toilet. big bucks for the chrome waste and water lines.

rick.
          Good point, but I think they want to stay as close to authentic as possible (even in the areas you don't normally see).

Comment

Rick
            It just dawned on my: Does anyone make a back inlet fill valve in plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Rick
              It just dawned on my: Does anyone make a back inlet fill valve in plastic?
              I have always used a standard WB piston ballcock. I don't know that I even know what you are referring to without looking it up.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                I have always used a standard WB piston ballcock. I don't know that I even know what you are referring to without looking it up.
                What I referred to as back inlet is often described as top inlet. The water enters at a cutout in the porcelain at the top left rear of the tank instead of the left bottom, with the ballcock protruding horizontally (left to right) from there.

Comment

All of those flush ell types here have the supply coming from the bottom of the toilet.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

All of those flush ell types here have the supply coming from the bottom of the toilet.
                    That's why you have to go to specialty suppliers to get the one I need. Lack of competition on their side leads to high prices on our side.

Comment

Can it not be rebuilt? Ballcock washers should be cheap. I have an assortment I will probably never use due to homeowners replacing their quality ballcocks with plastic crap.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        What I referred to as back inlet is often described as top inlet. The water enters at a cutout in the porcelain at the top left rear of the tank instead of the left bottom, with the ballcock protruding horizontally (left to right) from there.

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a back inlet (high on the left) tank before. It looks like you're going to have to go with the big $$$ balcock on that bad boy.

BTW: There's a 2" flush ell sitting on my shelf right now but it doesn't look tall enough for your tank.

Looks like an interesting project. Good Luck!
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a back inlet (high on the left) tank before. It looks like you're going to have to go with the big $$$ balcock on that bad boy.

BTW: There's a 2" flush ell sitting on my shelf right now but it doesn't look tall enough for your tank.

Looks like an interesting project. Good Luck!
                          If the flush ell is shorter, just lower the tank (as long as the old bolt hole don't show).

Comment

Can it not be rebuilt? Ballcock washers should be cheap. I have an assortment I will probably never use due to homeowners replacing their quality ballcocks with plastic crap.
                            Rebuilding something that is either 80-90 years old or one that has been messed with by others over the years is ok if you don't have to warranty the fix. Otherwise, it could be a few extra trips on one's own dime to fix the fix.

Comment

Offer the fix in writing as an option. If it is not going to work you should know before you leave. If it doesn't work they should understand that they will pay for a new valve. If you want to be extra nice, beyond trying to repair it, you could waive the trip charge. I think many customers would understand. But if they are more than willing to spend premium bucks on the valve why are you worried about the price? Just do it. I don't mean to be rude, just saying.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X