X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chloramine and pin hole leaks in copper tube

Anyone got any information on this hypothesis?
    Plumbing Engineer - Columns: April 2012: Designer's Guide

Re: Chloramine and pin hole leaks in copper tube

I would like to hear more studies done if it is a health hazard. They do not take samples of the underground leaks? If they were to dig up most of them they would find a rock or something else that rubbed a hole through the pipe. I wonder what the chloramines levels are in the wells here in NC? Wells here do a number on copper pipe.

I once did a repipe where every inch of water line had a piece of rubber and a hose clamp on it. Our shop had 8 service techs and it took us 3 years to recycle them all.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Gentleman, I am the Director of The Chloramine Information Center in PA... We have information on chloramine and copper pipe pitting.
      Interestingly, a law suit has recently been filed in Southern California by a residential housing developer against the local water authority as a result of
      chloramine pitting of copper pipes in a new build development. Dr. Marc Edwards, national guru on lead and water, is investigating (I believe) for the plaintiff.
      Chloramine is highly corrsive and leaches lead from pipes, literally 'eats' rubber and elastomer fittings, pits copper and provides a whole array of health risks both
      accute and long term. We have a very thorough study done by Maryland Department of Housing in 2004 regarding pinhole leaks and I can also give you Marc Edwards testimony before
      Congress as well as his many statements on chloramine and copper pipes. If you contact me directly, I can email them to you.

Chloramine is also responsible for several massive fish kills in the US and Canada, thousands of children exposed to huge amounts of lead over a 4 year period in D.C., a thousand or so reporst from
      all over the country of respiratory ailments, skin rashes/burns and digestive problems. The byproducts formed are 100,000 times more toxic than the byproducts of chlorine and it is 2,000 times less effective in killing e-coli, rotaviruses and polio 1 bacteria. It cannot be boiled or evaporated out of the water and cannot be filtered out. A national group of citizens from 5 states is currently fighting to stop the use of chloramine in the US .... one of the few developed countries that use it...Germany has banned it for 30 years, France does not use it..We have information, including peer reviewed studies gathered over the last five years on the many disadvantages of chloramine. Please feel free to contact me - we will share all information you request.

Comment

toilet ballcocks, flush valves and flappers take a beating with the chloramine in the water. there were some kohler flappers that didn't last 1 year due to the water. kohler didn't have any replacements for weeks when this was occurring years ago.
        toto ballcocks are worthless out here with the water chemistry. even toto will tell you that if you call and ask them.

susan pickford, what do you know about hydrogen sulfide and cast iron waste lines.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

How good will pex stand up to choramine ?

Comment

Great thread Scott! Thanks
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks Susan. I will call the Marin Co. Ca. Water district Next week to see if They add Chloramine to our water. If They do ,
              What's our options ,Please ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                Anyone got any information on this hypothesis?
                Plumbing Engineer - Columns: April 2012: Designer's Guide
                Plumbus: This might be the most important thread I've seen on the Ridgid Message Board ever. Thank you.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                X