Rheem water heaters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheem water heaters?

I got a brochure in the mail that one of my plumbing suppliers is now stocking Rheem water heaters. What has been your experience with Rheem's water heaters and warranty coverage. Just like some input as I have only delt with Bradford white and A.O. Smith/State water heaters.

Re: Rheem water heaters?

I also use B.W. If it's a Sun. emergency , supply houses closed, I suck it up and buy the H.D. G.E. Gas it's made buy Rheem.[ BIG $$$] I have been taught Here, Rheem is excellent.I replaced a 28 Year old Gas W.H. With a B.W. and it wasn't a leaker! Customer Didn't want trouble down the road.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rheem was always the industry standard around Chicago. Then HD and Menards started carrying them in the store and suppliers and contractors alike had a fit. Now they both still carry Rheem, but they are re-labeled "GE" and "Richmond" respectively. That was when the supply houses started carrying mostly A.O. Smith or State and then Bradford White. Only the HVAC supply houses carry Rheem now. I still get customers who request the brand, but I usually convince them to go with a Bradford White. Personally, I think that the controls on the Bradford White are better than the Rheem or the A.O. Smith....Although the last State heater (same company as A.O. Smith) had an updated Honeywell control that was virtually identical to newer Bradford White one.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I also use B.W. If it's a Sun. emergency , supply houses closed, I suck it up and buy the H.D. G.E. Gas it's made buy Rheem.[ BIG $$$] I have been taught Here, Rheem is excellent.I replaced a 28 Year old Gas W.H. With a B.W. and it wasn't a leaker! Customer Didn't want trouble down the road.
        The heaters Rheem heaters made in the 80's were great and I still see many in service here. But most of the ones made in the 90's have failed already. Most made it about 10 years. For some reason, it seems like every heater I replace lately was made in 1998.

Comment

Yea I see that Honeywell gas valve on Rheem as well. I do have to say the flame on a Rheem is perfect . I had to relight one on a gas repair job. I just don't know how the company is. My grandfather s auto shop used to work on Rheem's trucks back when they were base Here in Baltimore, MD.

Comment

Rheem is all we use. (Electric only). No hassle warranty. 6 yr. on everything.
            Tank, t-stats, elements. If failure occurs under warranty, customer gets new
            heater free, labor not included. Whatever time is left remaining on the original
            heater's warranty is applied to the replacement. All we have to do is remove the
            failed unit's sticker, attach it to a form that includes the customer's info, and
            send it to our supply house. They send a new heater plus $75 to help cover installation,
            though we charge labor for that anyway. BTW, since the first of the year, their
            water heaters are painted flat black.

Comment

We use to use Rheem a lot, and even had them delivered to us.

However we stopped because the price of delivery and for the heater was pricing us right out of jobs. You can't buy Rheem's at a supply house around here, and you have to use Rheem's delivery service if you want one of their products. Sometimes we had to wait all day to get a delivery, so that was a pain in the rear as well.

But, I had no problems with Rheem...wish they were priced more competitively.

Comment

In the 80's the Rheem was my go to water heater. Ever since they started selling them at the big box stores I've seen quality go down hill. Started getting many leakers. Leaks from around the drain valve threads too and other places. We stopped using them. Tried AO smith for a while but had the same problems.
                Went to Bradford White and it's all we use now. Haven't had a problem with them.

Comment

What about the glass safety valve under the burner? Ever had that fail on you as you were wrapping up an install late in the day (after the supply house closes)? I did and have not purchased a Rheem since. Rheem had no answer other than to offer to mail a replacement valve. Of course by the time the valve arrived a Bradford White had been functioning for 3-4 days. No Rheems for us whatsoever.

David

Comment

Dhall22 what is this glass valve ? Is this on all the gas heater??

Comment

Yes, there is a safety glass vial under the burner, or rather the Rheem technician asked me over the phone if I saw broken glass. If it blows your water heater is shut down until Rheem mails you a replacement. They do not let supply houses hold replacements for this situation. Even if the vial blows 6 months after install the customer will still blame you for the problem. I'm not going to get an irate customer calling me a year later claiming my water heater failed. Nor will I wait for them to mail me a replacement which would cost me yet another trip. I simply refuse to buy Rheem.

The 1st and only time that happened to me I dumped the water heater at the supply house and told them no more water heater purchases there until they go back to Bradford White. But we only buy about 10 heaters a month. No Rheem, no way.

David

Comment

I also do not install Rheems..... I have had problems with them back in the early 2000's..... brand new leakers out of the box and cross threaded TandP's and what not i dont like them at all. But on another note this month we have had 3 defective BW 50 gallon natural gas heaters. one was the hot side nipple was like to small for a flex to screw onto it... had to change it.... the other one was a cross threaded t and p just like the rheem... .tried to re-tep but it was so bad i just returned it and lastly i had a nightmare one.... the little window that covers the burner assembly and whatnot.... now the thermopile wire that runs between the gwindow and actual body of the heater was severed when they torqued down on the screws that hold the cover/window in place that was a real pain in the *** since it was completely installed and full of water then went to fire it up and bam didnt fire.... and the wirst part was there would have been no way of me checking for that unless i pulled the cover and window assembly and checked the lines running to the burner assembly.... i was EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED at that point in time. But overall I have had more problems with rheems compared to BW

Comment

Cross threaded nipple on hot side, screw thru wires that pass thru combustion chamber door, and loose gas valve test port plug, loose pilot tube. Those are the problems I have had with Bradford white heaters all different heaters and all right out of the box. Never seen many problems with rheem as far as service calls go but I have never installed them except the last problem heater with gas leaks the customer was scared of bradford white and requested or I should say demanded to have a diffrent brand installed all together. I don't like the glass thing and think I ll call rheem and a instructor I keep in contact with that used rheem when he worked for the gas company for 30 yrs. he had mentioned to me about possible design problems with the fvir system saying that it can't be cleaned ? Have you had or responded to any service calls with fvir screen issues yet? But does sound like a plumber should start making water heaters lol this crap can drive you crazy.

Comment

The early heaters are more durable than the heaters who are in the market right now.
                            How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

About 6 years ago when I worked for a plumbing company we had a.o. Smith water heaters going up under six years and I removed the anode rod and to see what a.o. Smith was putting in the replacements heaters and the rod was about 16" shorter than they used to be. I then looked in the manual and found that they changed the maintenance guide lines to read remove and inspect the anode rod after the warranty period . When I started in plumbing in 1999 it read remove after the first year and if six inches is gone replace the rod. So you have to wonder what's going on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X