X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone book, are you kidding me?

Got one of our new phone books delivered today. Without telling me when they sold me the ad they decided to leave out the entire residential white pages section of the book. It's no longer a "phone book", it's just yellow pages and advertising.

I called them. They said it's what they're doing now and that nobody uses phone books anymore to look up numbers, they use computers and cell phones. Well then why in hell did you sell me an ad in this wanna be phone book?

This isn't a little company. This is a national company. Buyer beware, when the phone book guy comes a selling next time DON'T FORGET TO ASK HIM IF THE WHITE PAGES WILL BE INCLUDED. If they yes then put it in writing.

This company I'm dealing with is retarded and they will lose most all advertising in my area just because they want to save a few bucks. There are mostly elderly around here and most don't use computers etc. This isn't Minneapolis or Chicago. WTF were they thinking? Stupid stupid stupid!!!!

We get four different books in this area and from what I'm hearing this book will be tossed instantly, sad, and what a waste of advertising money.

Re: Phone book, are you kidding me?

the phone books here go from the doorstep right into the blue recycling trash can. i might look at the 40 pages to see all the plumbing fools spending big money for full page adds. some buy the cover and some even buy the binder and then i've seen some buy flip out index tabs.

haven't spent a dime and i can't stop the phone ringing.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      the phone books here go from the doorstep right into the blue recycling trash can. i might look at the 40 pages to see all the plumbing fools spending big money for full page adds. some buy the cover and some even buy the binder and then i've seen some buy flip out index tabs.

haven't spent a dime and i can't stop the phone ringing.

rick.

Apples and Oranges. We service two different kinds of area. People here still use the phone book more than the computer or cell phone for service. Of course we all have our regular repeat customers and for a one man shop that's cool. I'm trying to grow our business and need the advertising, it works. We regularly get new customers from these books. Problem is without the white pages this book will get tossed in the trash.

Comment

Remember ,You can,t fight City Hall. But You can Break all the windows and SH#t on the front stairs! From Me Irish Father
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That does suck and youll be mad every month writing that check. It's all about the people in your area. I hardly ever get calls from the county I grew up in since they mainly use the phone book or already have a plumber. I always wanted to move my family back up to my home town but the way bussines is we would starve and I would and hour and a half from the area where we get work. I would keep testing review sites to see if you can find a town it will work in as it is a new form of " word of mouth " . And the the phone book county's I find we only get people that have just moved in. I do think it's just a matter of time before more people start looking for reviews as I find people will cross reference us with other sites they may start to do this with you after they find you in the phone book.

Comment

Phone book....? I thought those things were in museums collecting dust these days right next to the land-line phones of yester-year.

Oh yeah, forgot, you live in 1995 in northern Minnesota, my bad.

Just given you a little hard time iron, sometimes I wish I did live up there. But to be honest, I've worked up in the Walker area and my inlaws are from the Pierz area (just south of Milacs) and I couldn't do it man. Maybe its just the people I've run into, but they are so negative. They ***** about everthing it seemed and still think the democrat party is that of JFK, its amazing.

Comment

Verizon did that to my area last year. Dropped out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                Phone book....? I thought those things were in museums collecting dust these days right next to the land-line phones of yester-year.

Oh yeah, forgot, you live in 1995 in northern Minnesota, my bad.

Just given you a little hard time iron, sometimes I wish I did live up there. But to be honest, I've worked up in the Walker area and my inlaws are from the Pierz area (just south of Milacs) and I couldn't do it man. Maybe its just the people I've run into, but they are so negative. They ***** about everthing it seemed and still think the democrat party is that of JFK, its amazing.
                Hey don't be dissing my land lines! I still have a rotary dial phone in the basement and the garage but for some reason I can't dial out with them anymore, only can answer when it rings. Dang phone company is screwing with me.

Comment

at lest our rotory phones still work and can dial out on them,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                    Hey don't be dissing my land lines! I still have a rotary dial phone in the basement and the garage but for some reason I can't dial out with them anymore, only can answer when it rings. Dang phone company is screwing with me.
                    Let me get this straight, you have a propress machine, & a rotary phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                      most likely the rotary phone will still out live the pro press, even tho it is most likely 30+ years old all ready,

a rotary phone is much like the old steel Ridgid pipe wrench, (not new in design, most are not that new in existance, not that much to look at, but they keep working for a very long time)
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Up here in "Gods Country" (where Iron Ranger and I live) of course we still have rotary phones! :-) In fact, it was just the other day that I found out that cell phones were some small gadget that you carry around in your pocket. (thought they were special phones for prisoners) What else is new in this world??

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                          Not just one, I have two rotary phones hooked up, I'm blessed that way. I think I found out why I can't dial out on them now. We switched to a cable phone service and I don't think they work with them. I'll be switching back to our regular phone provider next month so all will be ok again.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            Not just one, I have two rotary phones hooked up, I'm blessed that way. I think I found out why I can't dial out on them now. We switched to a cable phone service and I don't think they work with them. I'll be switching back to our regular phone provider next month so all will be ok again.
                            Geeeees! You guys are primitive out there. Next thing ya know, your gonna be soldering copper joints again.

Comment

Here in Manitoba the residential white pages were made optional last year.

You have to email or call the directory company to ask for them and they will send you one each year for 3 years before you have to renew your request. I called only because I find the online listings to be inaccurate or out of date compared to the paper copies.

Looking at this years Yellow Pages the amount of display ads have gone down since the change.

Comment

Working...
                              X