Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: busting concrete

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    Sure I do - have you ever been to a stone fabrication shop?. Just make sure to use keep the water away from the motor and use a GFCI on the cord.
    NO,

How do you propose to keep the water away from the motor you are holding IN YOUR HAND while sling water.

You are talking out your A$$ and offering dangerous advice, TRUST YOUR LIFE TO A GFI ARE YOU SERIOUS?

bLUE_CAN you need to stay in your lane and not offer dangerous advice to the inexperienced...

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      NO,

How do you propose to keep the water away from the motor you are holding IN YOUR HAND while sling water.

You are talking out your A$$ and offering dangerous advice, TRUST YOUR LIFE TO A GFI ARE YOU SERIOUS?

bLUE_CAN you need to stay in your lane and not offer dangerous advice to the inexperienced...
      Not dangerous advice at all - I've cut stone slab using this method. If you direct the water just down into the blade there is minimal risk. If you don't want to do it that's upto you but water fed electric tools are used in stone shops all the time and I don't believe OSHA has any problems with it.

Here is an example of a water fed tool - ranite Countertop Profiling Machines and Routers

Obviously this would not be a good idea indoors but would be fine outdoors.
      Last edited by blue_can; 06-09-2012, 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is another example - Flex Wet Polisher for Stone | Braxton-Bragg. I do a fair bit of stone work and have several such wet tools for cutting and working stone.

Comment

Not dangerous advice at all - I've cut stone slab using this method. If you direct the water just down into the blade there is minimal risk. If you don't want to do it that's upto you but water fed electric tools are used in stone shops all the time and I don't believe OHSA has any problems with it.

Here is an example of a water fed tool - ranite Countertop Profiling Machines and Routers

Obviously this would not be a good idea indoors but would be fine outdoors.

You appear to be changing your story now...

AGAIN, I say YOU are offering dangerous advice telling the inexperienced to RIG up an electric angle grinder to wet cut.

A few things to think about:

- The machine you have linked is not the dangerous rig job solution that you proposed
          - The machine you have linked is meant to be operated only on one plane and is designed to move the water in a specific manner (any engineer should recognize this difference)
          - The dangerous rig job you proposed can be operated on multiple planes / angles and has no way to deal with water
          - OSHA has no problems with a purpose built machine, OSHA would throw me in jail if I allowed one of my employes to use your dangerous rig job.

The really sad part is that you are willing to continue to try to justify your own dangerous advice... Lemme guess Sanitation Engineer Right?

Comment

You appear to be changing your story now...

AGAIN, I say YOU are offering dangerous advice telling the inexperienced to RIG up an electric angle grinder to wet cut.

A few things to think about:

- The machine you have linked is not the dangerous rig job solution that you proposed
            - The machine you have linked is meant to be operated only on one plane and is designed to move the water in a specific manner (any engineer should recognize this difference)
            - The dangerous rig job you proposed can be operated on multiple planes / angles and has no way to deal with water
            - OSHA has no problems with a purpose built machine, OSHA would throw me in jail if I allowed one of my employes to use your dangerous rig job.

The really sad part is that you are willing to continue to try to justify your own dangerous advice... Lemme guess Sanitation Engineer Right?
            Actually you can buy wet angle grinders that operate in a similar manner to a dry one modified to operate wet. Here is one exmaple - https://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CCEQ8w4wAw.

You're the one changing your argument - this is what you said earlier

"Water and an Electric Tool, do you have any idea how much water is thrown around when you are wet cutting?"

Since you never tried it you have no idea how it works. Since I have I can tell you that minimal water will hit the motor.

It would be good if you can keep my profession out of the discussion.

Comment

Here is another example - Flex Wet Polisher for Stone | Braxton-Bragg. I do a fair bit of stone work and have several such wet tools for cutting and working stone.
              Show me one for cutting concrete on a vertical plane

Hint: you will not find one because the cutting planes are different so the solutions you are proposing are moot and do not support your dangerous advice yet again...

Comment

Show me one for cutting concrete on a vertical plane

Hint: you will not find one because the cutting planes are different so the solutions you are proposing are moot and do not support your dangerous advice yet again...
                Cutting concrete and stone are not very different in operation. The last two tools I showed are designed to operate in multiple planes including vertical.

Comment

You sir, Are in a Professional Plumbers forum so your expertise is being called into question since you are contributing to a professional plumbers discussion (Read the description of this board)

So by all means please expand on your Engineering credentials and how they apply to a professional plumbers forum, I will give you mine if you would like to test credentials.

You are dispensing dangerous advice, and trying to justify it with machines that are not even designed to operate with the same purpose on the same operational plane, you are talking out of your A$$ and you have been called on it...

You cant take one operating principle and try to apply it to a totally different task, when the difference may kill someone...

All of the machines you are trying to use as justification are grinders meant to be operated on a horizontal plane, The situation and dangers change when you try to rotate that same machine 90 degrees and try to cut 4"-8" concrete.

I have also never bathed with a hairdryer in my hand but that is what you are suggesting by rigging up an angle grinder to wet cut concrete..

If yours is such a good idea I wonder why all commercial concrete wet cutting equipment is gas or hydraulic?

Like I said earlier, you need to stay in your lane and stop dispensing dangerous advice based on something you think would work.

Comment

You sir, Are in a Professional Plumbers forum so your expertise is being called into question since you are contributing to a professional plumbers discussion (Read the description of this board)

So by all means please expand on your Engineering credentials and how they apply to a professional plumbers forum, I will give you mine if you would like to test credentials.

You are dispensing dangerous advice, and trying to justify it with machines that are not even designed to operate with the same purpose on the same operational plane, you are talking out of your A$$ and you have been called on it...

You cant take one operating principle and try to apply it to a totally different task, when the difference may kill someone...

All of the machines you are trying to use as justification are grinders meant to be operated on a horizontal plane, The situation and dangers change when you try to rotate that same machine 90 degrees and try to cut 4"-8" concrete.

I have also never bathed with a hairdryer in my hand but that is what you are suggesting by rigging up an angle grinder to wet cut concrete..

If yours is such a good idea I wonder why all commercial concrete wet cutting equipment is gas or hydraulic?

Like I said earlier, you need to stay in your lane and stop dispensing dangerous advice based on something you think would work.
                    Maybe so but this discussion is about breaking concrete so I don't see the connection to plumbing credentials. How do your plumbing credentials quality you to comment on wet tool setup and safe operation?

Once again the last two tools I posted are designed to work on multiple planes. In fact when you are polishing stone in a vertical plane you tent to get far more spray than when you are cutting and that's done all the time. Like I said you are free to do what you consider safe but I will differ with you on the "dangerous" advice. People can see what I've suggested and choose to try the suggested method or not. Done correctly it will be fine.

Comment

Maybe so but this discussion is about breaking concrete so I don't see the connection to plumbing credentials. How do your plumbing credentials quality you to comment on wet tool setup and safe operation?

Once again the last two tools I posted are designed to work on multiple planes. In fact when you are polishing stone in a vertical plane you tent to get far more spray than when you are cutting and that's done all the time. Like I said you are free to do what you consider safe but I will differ with you on the "dangerous" advice. People can see what I've suggested and choose to try the suggested method or not. Done correctly it will be fine.

Professional Plumbing Discussion

Plumbers Forum: If you are not a pro or on your way to becoming a professional tradesman please use the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" Section

You are suggesting a method that you have never tried and think should be ok, "Done correctly it will be fine" as opposed to the alternative pure comedy... Your logic is broken and you are dispensing dangerous advice.

I noticed you again sidestepped the question concerning your background and expertise

Sanitation Engineer it is then...

Comment

Professional Plumbing Discussion

Plumbers Forum: If you are not a pro or on your way to becoming a professional tradesman please use the "Ask the Plumbing Experts" Section

You are suggesting a method that you have never tried and think should be ok, "Done correctly it will be fine" as opposed to the alternative pure comedy... Your logic is broken and you are dispensing dangerous advice.

I noticed you again sidestepped the question concerning your background and expertise

Sanitation Engineer it is then...

Yes I noticed you sidestepped this question too "How do your plumbing credentials quality you to comment on wet tool setup and safe operation?"

You're commenting on a subject you know nothing about. Comparing this to a hairdyer in a bathtub says it all

Comment

LMAO....I will say no more.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

OkieBill...

Amazon.com: DEWALT DW861W 4.5-Inch Wet/Dry Masonry Saw: Home Improvement

Is that tool not meant to be used by a human either?

Comment

Yes I noticed you sidestepped this question too "How do your plumbing credentials quality you to comment on wet tool setup and safe operation?"

You're commenting on a subject you know nothing about. Comparing this to a hairdyer in a bathtub says it all
                              Please enlighten me with your evidence on how to cut and break concrete effectively. Here are a few of mine...

Last edited by OkieBill; 06-09-2012, 02:16 PM. Reason: Because I think I can fix stupid...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                                LMAO....I will say no more.
                                Last reply - I actually have a plumbing project to work on this morning

As far as credentials (on this particular aspect of the topic) I do a lot of stone fab and I also belong to the Stone Fabricators Alliance - a professional trade organization of stone fabricators - so I know a lot about wet tools and how to use them. I also own a lot of them including the ones I showed in the links I posted.

On that note I will head out to sweat some copper pipes

Comment

Working...
                                X