Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
busting concrete Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: busting concrete

    Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
    Sorry I hurt your feelings dlarrivee...

    That's all you got? Safety Glasses and hearing protection??

    Anything even slightly relevant to add?
    Are you kidding me - that is a serious safety issue - far more so than the two pages of posting on the dangers of death due to using water-fed electric tools. Who in their right minds would be using a tool like that without protection

    It also looks like the guy is about to cut dry concrete without a respirator.
    Last edited by blue_can; 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: busting concrete

      Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Sorry I hurt your feelings dlarrivee...

      That's all you got? Safety Glasses and hearing protection??

      Anything even slightly relevant to add?
      What was that? I couldn't hear you because my boss was too cheap to buy me some hearing protection.

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: busting concrete

        Originally posted by blue_can View Post
        If there is no wet saw for cutting concrete to that depth in one pass proves nothing about safety. Cutting concrete is cutting concrete. Remember this part of the discussion is about using water near electric tools and how you think it is very dangerous. So now you've brought the depth of the concrete into the discussion.

        Here's a hint for you - you will always be much closer to sanitation that I ever will
        Mr. Sanitation Engineer, You have missed the points made by me in this discussion either through illiteracy or a blatant attempt to shore up your horrible suggestion, I'm going with the latter.

        You are not a Plumber nor have you ever cut 4" concrete in any manner you have suggested, Your suggestion was and still is dangerous plain and simple.

        --The reason you cant show a link to HANDHELD ELECTRIC WET SAW DESIGNED to CUT 4" to 6" CONCRETE with a UL rating is because the plane of operation is different making the task too dangerous..

        --If you were a plumber or had any concrete demo experience you would not suggest a dangerous rig job but would present the proper tools to do the job safely and efficiently.

        By all means people are welcome to follow your dangerous suggestion but actually being experienced makes me obligated to raise the stupid flag when I see it...

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: busting concrete

          Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
          What was that? I couldn't hear you because my boss was too cheap to buy me some hearing protection.

          See your close mindedness is showing>>> Could I be the one in the picture?? HUH, I can't hear you.....

          Again you are having a problem understanding the concept of constructive input to a thread, An insulator I have no doubt.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: busting concrete

            Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            Mr. Sanitation Engineer, You have missed the points made by me in this discussion either through illiteracy or a blatant attempt to shore up your horrible suggestion, I'm going with the latter.

            You are not a Plumber nor have you ever cut 4" concrete in any manner you have suggested, Your suggestion was and still is dangerous plain and simple.

            --The reason you cant show a link to HANDHELD ELECTRIC WET SAW DESIGNED to CUT 4" to 6" CONCRETE with a UL rating is because the plane of operation is different making the task too dangerous..

            --If you were a plumber or had any concrete demo experience you would not suggest a dangerous rig job but would present the proper tools to do the job safely and efficiently.

            By all means people are welcome to follow your dangerous suggestion but actually being experienced makes me obligated to raise the stupid flag when I see it...
            You have also missed the points by me and I'm sure it's not because you don't follow what I'm saying. Anyone following this thread can figure out who is talking sense. As I pointed out before we are talking about concrete which has nothing to do with plumbing. Heck even breaking concrete has little to do with masonry work.

            I have cut plenty of concrete block in the manner suggested and safely. I don't break much concrete but I also do a fair bit of masonry work and in my tool collection I also own many masonry tools including a concrete mixer, concrete vibrator and an MK Diamond (wet) block saw. So I do have plenty of experience with cutting concrete.

            You last sentence is reasonable and that is also what I said in my earlier post.

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: busting concrete

              Originally posted by blue_can View Post
              Are you kidding me - that is a serious safety issue - far more so than the two pages of posting on the dangers of death due to using water-fed electric tools. Who in their right minds would be using a tool like that without protection

              It also looks like the guy is about to cut dry concrete without a respirator.
              SO we are going to attempt to sidetrack this thread in some kind of liberal democrat accuse the accuser tactic is that right?

              So who is in the picture exactly?

              Now show me the picture of yourself cutting concrete in the Hack manner you are suggesting, I did not think so...

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: busting concrete

                Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                SO we are going to attempt to sidetrack this thread in some kind of liberal democrat accuse the accuser tactic is that right?

                So who is in the picture exactly?

                Now show me the picture of yourself cutting concrete in the Hack manner you are suggesting, I did not think so...
                If that's you in the photo good luck to you. Hope you don't end up with Silicosis or missing eyes - keeping worrying about electrocuting yourself

                I don't need to show you anything - in the grand scheme of things you are a nobody in my world.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: busting concrete

                  Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  If that's you in the photo good luck to you. Hope you don't end up with Silicosis or missing eyes - keeping worrying about electrocuting yourself

                  I don't need to show you anything - in the grand scheme of things you are a nobody in my world.

                  Are you a woman by chance, If so it would explain alot.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: busting concrete

                    Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                    "I've never been shocked beyond a slight buzz"

                    Rick, Of all people you know there is the right tool for the job so to somehow endorse rigging a garden hose to an angle grinder for cutting flat concrete does not make sense.

                    Yes, there are a plethora of specialty electric countertop tools that use water no one is disputing that fact. Are any of the shown counter top tools suitable of cutting 4"-6" thick concrete slabs, NO

                    If somebody would be so kind as to show me a HANDHELD ELECTRIC WET SAW DESIGNED to CUT 4" to 6" CONCRETE with a UL rating, because I'm gonna give you a hint just because a company imports a tool that does not make it legal to use in the USA (That goes for A LOT of the wet counter top tools).

                    The Sanitation Engineer (Blue_can) needs to follow his own advice before he starts dispensing his ill educated guesses around on the internet and gets somebody hurt.


                    --Why not just recommend a tool that will get the job done efficiently and safely???
                    here is a link to the husqvarna posted on amazon. 14'' blade with wet kit installed. Amazon.com: Husqvarna Construction Products 968378401 K3000 Wet Electric Saw: Home Improvement

                    secondly, a garden hose is a bit of an overkill for a 4.5'' grinder. i get by with a spray bottle to keep the blade cool and dust to a minimum.

                    indoor cutting is typically an electric saw, hydraulic or air saw. unless you have a large warehouse or a propane unit, most indoor is not suitable for gas, no less a 2 stroke cut off saw.

                    a worm drive skill saw and blade is under $200 and does a great job with concrete to 2.5''. once again a spray bottle is all that's needed to keep the dust and heat to a minimum. a garden hose is too bulky and too much water. even my mk courter saw and polisher are only a 1/4'' ice maker line.

                    if there is a blade guard, then 99% of the water is shielded from the motor. the blade guard deflects the slurry and spits it back down. of course a good trick is to wd40 everything to keep the slurry from sticking. it also will minimize water from conducting. ever been to a trade show when they run an electric drill submerged in a bucket with the operator holding onto the drill. it's sprayed with wd 40 or lps to coat the electrical from water. of course it's a trade show and is used for that purpose.

                    as far as a little buzz. that comes when cutting live sewers with a 4.5'' grinder with no blade guard. then the water is spraying everywhere. almost impossible to cut inside the pipe with a blade guard.

                    then again rubber gloves would prevent any buzz. i usually use leather gloves that get wet but are much thicker for a kickback.

                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: busting concrete

                      As far as the debate on the water and electricity issue how is a drain cleaning machine any different? or a hydro dilling unit like a "borz it", for drilling under a slab? or using a electrical driven pump?
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: busting concrete

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        here is a link to the husqvarna posted on amazon. 14'' blade with wet kit installed. Amazon.com: Husqvarna Construction Products 968378401 K3000 Wet Electric Saw: Home Improvement

                        secondly, a garden hose is a bit of an overkill for a 4.5'' grinder. i get by with a spray bottle to keep the blade cool and dust to a minimum.

                        indoor cutting is typically an electric saw, hydraulic or air saw. unless you have a large warehouse or a propane unit, most indoor is not suitable for gas, no less a 2 stroke cut off saw.

                        a worm drive skill saw and blade is under $200 and does a great job with concrete to 2.5''. once again a spray bottle is all that's needed to keep the dust and heat to a minimum. a garden hose is too bulky and too much water. even my mk courter saw and polisher are only a 1/4'' ice maker line.

                        if there is a blade guard, then 99% of the water is shielded from the motor. the blade guard deflects the slurry and spits it back down. of course a good trick is to wd40 everything to keep the slurry from sticking. it also will minimize water from conducting. ever been to a trade show when they run an electric drill submerged in a bucket with the operator holding onto the drill. it's sprayed with wd 40 or lps to coat the electrical from water. of course it's a trade show and is used for that purpose.

                        as far as a little buzz. that comes when cutting live sewers with a 4.5'' grinder with no blade guard. then the water is spraying everywhere. almost impossible to cut inside the pipe with a blade guard.

                        then again rubber gloves would prevent any buzz. i usually use leather gloves that get wet but are much thicker for a kickback.

                        rick.
                        Rick - small misunderstanding on the garden hose part - if you re-read my original post I said Loc-line hose connected to a garden hose. Loc-line is the thin tube like hose which is adjustable and you can install a small valve and control the water flow to a drip. Same as your spray bottle but you can set it and go - no need to keep spraying.

                        "angle grinder outfitted with some Loc-Line hose to a garden hose adapter for a waterfeed"

                        Example - https://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CBIQ9A4wAg

                        Also a variety of nozzles and control valves available - in fact this exactly what is used on many stone tools

                        https://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CB4Q8w4wBA
                        Last edited by blue_can; 06-10-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: additional info

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: busting concrete

                          here you go. at $124.00 and a clone to the hitachi with 10 out of 10 positive reviews. seems like a no brainier to buy. read the reviews and make up your decision. even if it lasted 2 days, it still cheaper than renting or doing it by hand.
                          Amazon.com: Heavy Duty 1240w Electric Demolition Jack Hammer: Home Improvement

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: busting concrete

                            Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            As far as the debate on the water and electricity issue how is a drain cleaning machine any different? or a hydro dilling unit like a "borz it", for drilling under a slab? or using a electrical driven pump?
                            BHD,

                            If you have done any significant amount of drain cleaning you have made a spark show, The drain cleaners know what I'm talking about.

                            AGAIN: NO problem with a machine that is purpose built for the task and designed for WET (your above listed examples), my problem is Mrs. Sanitation Engineer dispensing rig it up advice to novices being a novice Herself / Himself (?)

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: busting concrete

                              Thank god I live in an area that's 99.9% basements.

                              My rotary hammer only gets used for drilling through foundation walls.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: busting concrete

                                Holy crap you both are high...

                                "Ego is the biggest enemy of Humans."

                                I haven't been on much but the last few threads I've read it seems people's egos have been getting in the way of good discussions.

                                Easy way to break concrete: Hire a laborer.

                                Seriously we used to do all of it. What I found is that if I hire it out I can concentrate my man power on other tasks that require my plumbers to be plumbers not demolition guys. When the concrete is out we come fix the problem. Same with excavation, I rented a mini ex once and dug a trench 300' long. Faaak that, my excavator does it better, faster and cheaper and carries all the right insurance. Plus I don't have to worry about bullshat like disposal of all that crap. I still add on 10% of course :-).

                                Plus now the GC I hire to do all the demo work for us now gives us a ton of plumbing work, same with my excavator.

                                Don't work hard, work smart...

                                I personally would go for coring, seems clean and quick.
                                Ray

                                “Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                                Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

                                www.mauiplumbinginc.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X