X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power take off/ pto

Stubbled across a 93 dodge 3500 one tin dually 4x4 cube truck today with a twelve foot aluminum box 8‘ talk with another 2‘ above cab skylight. ect oversized 350 liter tank and 315000km on a twlve valve cummins comes with extra transmission which is definetly the weekest link on those old dodges anyways ptuce is negotiable and is almost exactly what iv wanted for sometime now. anyways use to be a duct cleaning truck and has a pto for the old vacuam syatem just wondering if any of you guys have a pti and what you use them for i imagine you could use it for a jetter but since i have no experience with eithe i thought id ask my wise fellow tradesman what use it may serve for plumbing thanks sean

Re: power take off/ pto

Sorry for the spelling got a lonar phone and the touch screen is horrible.

Comment

Your thinking of buying a 20 yr old vehicle? I think your nuts. JMO Nothing personal.

Comment

In out area of the country most PTO on trucks are used for running hydraulic pumps for hoists or winches or similar, (usually just a bolt on to the transmission a control line to kick it in and out of gear), (many have gone to the under hood mounted pump that woks off a AC clutch, lower cost and easer to move to different trucks then trading),

I am sure one could set it so it would run a Jettier pump if one so desired, I I would think one would need a step up gear box to make it work the way one wanted, (on the old truck the PTO is very slow RPM, (that may be changeable depending on the PTO box), on my sons one ton, he runs a Hydraulic pump not sure of it RPM, many are a self contained pump in side of a reservoir box, but I think are mostly low RPM (at lest compared to a 3600 rpm gas engine),

(I think it would be an expensive way of running the pump), and would need some type of by pass to keep the pump water cooler when there may be times of inactivity that one on a PTO system may be let the engine run were with the smaller jettier one would shut it down. unless one would set some type of electric clutch as well so one could remotely turn on and off the pump,

that is my two cents,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the pto can run a jetter pump with a hydraulic jetter motor pretty easily. problem is you need the hydraulic pressure pump and reservoir along with the hydraulic jetter pump motor. gets real expensive and real commercial. you would need to be a full time jetter to see the payback.

also with a truck of that age and mileage, do you really want to dump that much money in setting it up in the first place. there's a reason why they're selling the van.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't direct drive a jetter pump. All you would need to do is mount the pump in a box on the frame or somewhere and find a cheap, low horsepower right angle gearbox. Any gear and bearing shop could rig up a shaft with the right splines for pretty cheap, and you could get the gearbox at Grainger or McMaster Carr. Just make sure you know the rpms, get a gearbox that has the right reduction, and then figure out what rpm you need to set your engine idle at to achieve your jetter specs.

Comment

Cummins with 350k? I dunno, I just bought a 05 Cummins with 27k. I love it, straight 6 with tons more power than my V8 Power Stroke Diesels.

Cummins are some of the best engines made, and that 12 valve is where its at. Super simple, bet if you pop the hood you can see clearly to the ground on both sides of that block. I can on my 05 and its got a bit more to it.

Talked to the guy that runs Pacific Bio-Diesel the other day, we were talking about warranty and biodiesel. He said he's got two cummins generators with probably 5000 hours on both. Never had any problems with em. Just FYI Cummins and other mfgs wont warranty B100 because they can't control some hick making crappy B100 in his back yard.

Like you said its the trannies that go. Those Mopar trannies are weird... That engine will be fine, its everything else I'd worry about.

If I'm not mistaken with the Dodges its the tranny and drive train and suspension that are the weakest link.

That and the Dodge likes to catch rust faster than most.
              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

If that 93 has been meticulously kept clean and is virtually rust free, it will last quite a long time. The "first gen" rams (70's-93) were fairly beefy trucks but rusted pretty bad. But if kept clean they seemed to last. My big concern is the frame, grab a screw driver and start poking around, if its solid your fine, if you find a soft spot, run fast. On the transmission, I want to say guys have upgraded to second gen "94-02" transmissions to get the extra gear Overdrive. The 94-97 transmissions are hydraulic lockup units, and are a little easier to swap than the 98-02 electronic units. If you ever need a trans for it, I would only use a Goerand transmission, the guy is an absolute genious with these transmissions. Lastly, you could swap in a 5 or 6 speed manual pretty easy if you didn't want to worry about the transmission. The NV4500/5600 are two very strong transmissions.

Comment

thanks guys i would have to agree with beeing crazy for buying a 20 year old truck if it was any other truck my buddy whos a licenced mechanic is coming to look tommorow frame is mint body "could use some paint" but no rust no sign of body work the only rust is the custom back bumper which looks like it came off an older cube truck anyways its from vancouver or langley just came out of bhd diesel a fairly reputable diesel shop. the motor looks cleaner then my 03 actually the hole truck besides paint and interior is cleaner then my 2003 2500. 4x4 dodge cummins dually with a cube box its pretty deluxe my mechanic has a 92 4x2 cummins with 658000 km second transmission Standard thou. but hsnt done anything major to motor. he toldme the motor and extra tranny is worth almost what im paying for the hole truck. il post some picks in a week or two when i get it home and painted. thanks seanny

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                    thanks guys i would have to agree with beeing crazy for buying a 20 year old truck if it was any other truck my buddy whos a licenced mechanic is coming to look tommorow frame is mint body "could use some paint" but no rust no sign of body work the only rust is the custom back bumper which looks like it came off an older cube truck anyways its from vancouver or langley just came out of bhd diesel a fairly reputable diesel shop. the motor looks cleaner then my 03 actually the hole truck besides paint and interior is cleaner then my 2003 2500. 4x4 dodge cummins dually with a cube box its pretty deluxe my mechanic has a 92 4x2 cummins with 658000 km second transmission Standard thou. but hsnt done anything major to motor. he toldme the motor and extra tranny is worth almost what im paying for the hole truck. il post some picks in a week or two when i get it home and painted. thanks seanny
                    I still think your crazy. JMO. I wouldn't take it for free, but I guess if you can work on this old junk yourself, & you can somehow find time, then do, what you gotta do.

Here is what cracks me up. Just because so many people have their own trusted mechanic look at the vehicle, before they buy it. The only thing the mechanic can look for, is the obvious, or maybe a funny noise, but hell, everything is 20yrs old. Is the trans gonna slip, or fail , or is the engine gonna blow any time soon? No way can they tell ya. How bout wheel bearings? Is the front end tie rods tight or loose? Is any of this gonna change your mind? It reminds me of how people ask me all the time, how long do you think this water heater, or sump pump will last. Unless the obvious is staring you in the face, then you better get out a crystal ball, to figure out the life left. Example, I replaced 2 water heaters last week, 1 was 20 yrs old, the other 5yrs old. Could an inspection of each heater, revealed this before. Just saying.

Not bashing you, but I have a 2003 that I have had break down on me several times recently, & everytime, is worst possible. Then I gotta pay tow bill, cancel jobs, get back logged on my work, & stressed out, not to mention, the high cost of repair bills. The truck is starting to rust, aluminum box has several places that is oxidizing, right through, engine is slowly but surely, drinking more oil, & I could go on. And I only got about 90,000 miles on it. So I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams, buying a vehicle, over twice as old, as the one I got.
                    Last edited by Don the plumber; 06-16-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Im also driving an 03 right now and agree new vehicles are designed to brake down. the old truck has no computer no electric windows or aotumatic 4 wheel drive ect ect. its got kingpins four leaf springs mmanual hubs a simple motor that will keep going and going parts are cheap and i acatually can pop the hood and use a standard socket set to replace what i can see without removing twenty plastic shrouds no diagnostic tools required is it a nice ride no not really but it does gwt 18mpg and is 4 wheel drive will it cost money of course payments or parts sometimes both i like having a frame instead of unibody. is it for everyone no of course not i have to drive for 7 hours beforw i could even jope to get atuck in grid lock traffic im out on dirt roads and smLl towbs it will serve its purpose fine 300000km is 185000 miles its not all that much for a 12 valve cummins. but thanks for the concerns seanny.

Comment

Working...
                      X