X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 seconds and catch a thread

How about 62 seconds and catch a thread?
    Note all the tools are Ridgid (shameless plug)
    sigpic

Re: 66 seconds and catch a thread

Is that you NH?

Comment

In all my bald glory yes...... That's some of my students in the back ground holding the vise down.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm sure you violated some obscure rule that only a Ridgid Insider will know

Seriously though if you could do that while making a a milkshake with a K-60 you will be named (Giant Booming Voice) "King of all Plumbers!"

Good to see the young tradesmen involved as well

Comment

You could have at least tried to do it fast. I think you were holding back...I smell a shark.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I will admit the pipe was 3/4" not 1" but only because the only manual die stock I have with 1" dies has broken teeth on #2 and #3 but to offset that note that I'm using the old R11 handle and die and the die I have is so worn that you have to hold it to the collar or it slips off the back side. With a new R22 I could probably shave a couple seconds off even with 1" pipe. Oh, and I used a coupling not an elbow too but thread is thread.
            Three students gave it a go also and came within a few seconds. I'll post a couple of their efforts soon.
            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

You forgot the OIL ! I have an idea. Why don't some of Us Members and Ridgid ,sponser a trip for one or Two of Your
              top students to the next roundup? I'll throw some $ in.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Oil went in at 28 seconds! Look fast
                sigpic

Comment

i'll give you my take for what it's worth.

3/4'' threading is no where close to 1'' pipe when it comes to both manual and electric threading. the larger the pipe the more it takes to thread, cut and ream. if you don't believe me than try 1/2'' and see how much faster 1/2'' is than 3/4''. then try 2'' and tell me it's not slower than 1.5''.

have no problem giving credit when credit is due, but not when you're comparing apples to oranges.

the fact that there was not a constant flow of oil is also another time saver as it freed up 1 hand from doing the physical work.

call my bluff and do it with 1'' heads up at the next roundup.

but just maybe i'll set up my 3/4'' die and pull off a much faster time.

once again spend the time and money to travel to ohio which is much closer than los angeles.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Just guessing, but I'd bet the MegaPress would take about 4 seconds after the cut.

Comment

I'd start oiling a bit sooner. And fer cryin' out loud, move that pipe out so you don't hit the tristand legs when you unwind the threader. All those tools look too new - shouldn't you drag them around behind a pickup in the sand hills for a while?

Comment

The vices, cutters and reamers are all less than a year old, I bought a dozen of each to teach threading along with two more 300's. I also got r22's and 1/2" die stocks. It's too expensive to use larger pipe for teaching. With close to 60 kids a year run through the course the money adds up quick. I have found over the years that with hand threading it does not take anywhere near as much oil as power threading and most guys way over oil thinking that they will get better threads and longer wear on their dies but in reality it takes very little oil for the process. Anyone with machining experience will back that up although over oiling certainly won't hurt anything and it's only drawback is the cost of oil and messy tools and workspace. Constant oiling wouldn't have taken anymore time though although I might have shaved another second off if the handle hadn't hit the vice legs. But when you get right down to it the whole exercise doesn't really prove anything because nobody would work at that pace for one and there is zero quality control for two. I have no doubt that Mega-Press will take over the steel piping trades as well. The cost of the press tool is less than almost any power threader and it's a lot more compact and doesn't require two guys to get it off the truck. It's already approved for gas and I hear you can pipe oil tanks and such with it as well. I don't know how I feel about that. Time marches on and I suspect that within the next 50 years we will all see the end of many things and skills that we hold near and dear and there's nothing anyone can do about that.
                        Last edited by NHMaster3015; 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

NH...I thought you were holding back as well.

Rick...East Coast versus West coast, and we will split the Mid West up between us.

Sup?

Comment

it sort of was like that at the roundup. we brought a large contingency out.

guess what?

west coast has both champs literally 1 mile away. rookie and i have been good friends for 15+ years.

now all we need is another roundup date and location.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i'll give you my take for what it's worth.

3/4'' threading is no where close to 1'' pipe when it comes to both manual and
                              electric threading. the larger the pipe the more it takes to thread, cut and
                              ream. if you don't believe me than try 1/2'' and see how much faster 1/2'' is
                              than 3/4''. then try 2'' and tell me it's not slower than 1.5''.
                              Really? I never would have known that. Thanks for that tid bit of valuable information.

have no problem giving credit when credit is due, but not when you're comparing
                              apples to oranges.
                              Or pipe to pipe

the fact that there was not a constant flow of oil is also another time saver as
                              it freed up 1 hand from doing the physical work.
                              I watched the video's of the event. I didn't see a lot of oiling going on there

call my bluff and do it with 1'' heads up at the next roundup.
                              There is no next event scheduled and even if there was I can think of a whole lot better ways to spend my vacation than competing in "plumbing" contests that have no real meaning, but thanks for the invite.

but just maybe i'll set up my 3/4'' die and pull off a much faster time.
                              I would expect nothing less. I am confident that you will beat my time as well.

once again spend the time and money to travel to ohio which is much closer than
                              los angeles.
                              I can't imagine that there are too many folks that would spend the money and take the time just to "prove" themselves at a promotional event but then again, I watched the footage and in a couple of cases I might just be wrong. No, keep your trophies and awards and enjoy the title of "best plumber in the world"

rick.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X