X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer booster fan for long runs

Have a customer with a long run of 4" smooth pipe. She just had it cleaned, lots of lint.
    I will install a booster fan for Her. Any best placement in line ? Any brand better?
    Tanks Tool.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Dryer booster fan for long runs

I used one of these a long time ago for a dryer vent booster, worked good. I used one more recently for an AC duct pipe going to 2nd floor. Seemed to work good. Customer said it was nice & quiet.

Fantech Dryer Booster Fan

Comment

Residential Booster fans are a fire waiting to happen.

Check your local codes very carefully on this one.

Also if you are attempting to get into the mechanical ventilation business you may need an HVAC / Mechanical License.

Believe it or not lint build-up is expected and periodic (annual) maintenance is required on all Dryer vents, have the customer read the documentation that comes with their dryer...

A booster will not stop the lint build up and installing the booster will actually create a lint trap in the system.

The safest answer is to contact the dryers manufacturer and see if a high static kit is available for that model.

Comment

Well , I've been reading anout this on the net. directfans.com is a good place to start. I will add a lint trap that has a door to service it. Of course the dryer has a lint trap also. I don't buy having Two lint traps with a booster as being a fire hazard.
        I perform all the trades well , do neat code work. What's the big deal here ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The limit IIRC is the manufacturers in the installation manual or other documentation. I think most codes refer back to the manufacturers recommendations on installation and limits on duct runs, number of bends, etc. Best to check with the manufacturer if you want to be code compliant, otherwise do what you think will work but if the house burns down who are they coming after? The HO, I doubt it if the install or mod was done by a contractor holding a license.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The directions on the dryer, usually spell out detailed venting instructions, by the manufacturer. And I have read those that say, a booster fan may be needed. So if that is the case, & the house did burn down, I'm sure you would have an argument, if manufacturer, recommends installing a booster. However,............................. I would be leary of installing a booster fan for the simple fact of, what happens when the booster fan stops working, & the dryer doesn't ?

Comment

I burn done homes on a regular basis

Comment

Re: Dryer booster fan for long runs "HERE'S WHAT MAKES IT SAFE"

iaqsource.com $32.95 This will be located in the wall across from the laundry,and before the booster fan. The box has a window to see the amount of lint. Ez ,open the door n empty. Good reviews from building inspectors and customers. Will bring in all the paper work to the town Inspector next week. Yes I have liability ,n wks. Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I burn done homes on a regular basis
                  Does that include the ones while doing hot mop

Comment

The booster fan runs for 7 minutes after dryer stops. Cust. will be able to hear it through the wall, Also see the lint wafting in the glass door.

Comment

The booster fan runs for 7 minutes after dryer stops. Cust. will be able to hear it through the wall, Also see the lint wafting in the glass door.
                      How long of a run you got ? How many 90's ? Usually don't have to have a booster, unless your over 30ft. Just curious, cuz I know you said there was a lint build up issue.
                      Last edited by Don the plumber; 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                        How long of a run you got ? How many 90's ? Usually don't have to have a bosster, unless your over 30ft. Just curious, cuz I know you said there was a lint build up issue.
                        Total run is about 20 ft. with 3 elbows , that adds another 20 ft. Lint box with window is a great inovation.

Comment

Well , I've been reading anout this on the net. directfans.com is a good place to start. I will add a lint trap that has a door to service it. Of course the dryer has a lint trap also. I don't buy having Two lint traps with a booster as being a fire hazard.
                          I perform all the trades well , do neat code work. What's the big deal here ?

I forgot you are a "I can do everything " ... Enough said, Good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X