X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disturbing News

After they buy it at home depot, or Lowes, they can come to the forums and learn how to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt T Service and Repair View Post
      do i look like a cat boy?????????? drinking milk out of a saucer??????

Hense forth You're " KAT MAN " Not to be confused with Bat Man
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i wrote a whole thread about it over 2 years ago and even contacted the person who distributes it to lowes. unfortunatly the search feature on the forum is not what it use to be and after a couple hours looking for that thread, i give up.

not sure where that thread eneded up, but maybe someone might have better luck finding it. sometime around 5/10 + or -

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

all the Lowes and the Home depots around here sell both black iron and CSST. I find it amusing that some are appalled at that notion. Why draw the line at gas piping? Is gas piping really any worse than water piping or DWV piping? They all have the potential to do harm to a whole lot of folks if not properly installed by knowledgeable and skilled plumbers. You can't be on the DIY help forum(s) dishing out advice and then turn around and condemn those same diy'ers that want to gas pipe.
          sigpic

Comment

We'll start seeing it strung on houses like Christmas lights. Sadly, some will sound like the 4TH OF JULY !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
              After they buy it at home depot, or Lowes, they can come to the forums and learn how to install it.
              And then argue on how it should be done. I think I will not be answering anymore questions from homeowners. They usually, not always, want you to side with them over another professional that was on the job and it usually involves the cost.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

there real issue is the fact that they are selling a product that requires a license to purchase it and install it. of course they are not enforcing or checking for licenses.

i can't even buy freon since i don't have that license. except the little cans at the auto parts store that are considered safe for the environment.

there are not too many other plumbing products that require a proof of a license to purchase it. that's the issue.

the stores are also suppose to keep the spray paint locked up here and card you if you look under 18. same with cigarettes. pretty much alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

the manufactures of the product who sell this to home centers should be held accountable for making sure it's sold to licensed installers. i can't think of anything else sold at lowes or home depot that requires a license to purchase.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  there real issue is the fact that they are selling a product that requires a license to purchase it and install it. of course they are not enforcing or checking for licenses.

i can't even buy freon since i don't have that license. except the little cans at the auto parts store that are considered safe for the environment.

there are not too many other plumbing products that require a proof of a license to purchase it. that's the issue.

the stores are also suppose to keep the spray paint locked up here and card you if you look under 18. same with cigarettes. pretty much alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

the manufactures of the product who sell this to home centers should be held accountable for making sure it's sold to licensed installers. i can't think of anything else sold at lowes or home depot that requires a license to purchase.

rick.
                  Go get your universal freon card and automotive freon card, you have everything else...
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

There are no laws on the books here that require a license to purchase either CSST or steel piping and while there are laws that govern installers and technicians; requiring them to be licensed, a homeowner can do any damn thing he wants in most states. The whole CSST certificate or whatever they call it is a crock. Most CSST "classes" last about a half hour of which 28 minutes is spent on the sales pitch. Actual CSST training takes all of 5 minutes. You are supposed to have "training" to install Uponor and Viega pex also but I double damn guarantee that nobody is ever going to ask you for your certificate there and again, if you are a homeowner you can do whatever you want with whatever you want. This is America where anybody with a credit card can go buy whatever he wants or needs and install it in his own house and potentially create a situation that could put the health and safety of a great number of innocent people at risk. Think twice before you start dishing out helpful advice. Your helpful advice might just be what pushes an ignorant neophyte to take on a project that could very well prove to be disastrous.

Irony; A few years back they passed Amelia's law in New Hampshire. The gist of the story is that a carpenter/contractor, removed the stove while renovating the kitchen and did not cap the gas line. It was a summer home on lake Winnipasaukee. The owners decided to come up for the weekend and stay over. The gas bottle outside was shut off and needing heat for the night, they turned it on not knowing the stove line was open. A little bit later the house blew up and killed their daughter. As a result we now license the living crap out of gas installers and technicians but..........HOMEOWNERS, CONTRACTORS, ETC. Can still do whatever they want.

The best advice you will ever give any unlicensed, unskilled person is to call someone that is.
                    Last edited by NHMaster3015; 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                      Some here will agree, I am one. You will get little support here though. Home depot doesn't carry black iron due to some law suit. Lowe's will have their time. Hopefully before something bad happens. But, to be fair that "license" was a sales pitch and a waste of my life. Nobody ever asked to see the card you received from the class. Hell, they were giving the answers away for the test anyhow.
                      Finding your comment about HD not carrying black iron, due to some law suit somewhat odd, I did a search and low and behold the HD Winston-Salem #3610 has a pot load of pipe and fittings. The only product I've found that they won't sell is a garage door tension spring due to the "liability reasons". Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                        Finding your comment about HD not carrying black iron, due to some law suit somewhat odd, I did a search and low and behold the HD Winston-Salem #3610 has a pot load of pipe and fittings. The only product I've found that they won't sell is a garage door tension spring due to the "liability reasons". Go figure.
                        I was on the phone with HP and Greensboro when I inquired, I guess I should go in and check instead of calling from the job site after hours. I can only comment on what I was told at that time. Thanks for your due diligence.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          There are no laws on the books here that require a license to purchase either CSST or steel piping and while there are laws that govern installers and technicians; requiring them to be licensed, a homeowner can do any damn thing he wants in most states. The whole CSST certificate or whatever they call it is a crock. Most CSST "classes" last about a half hour of which 28 minutes is spent on the sales pitch. Actual CSST training takes all of 5 minutes. You are supposed to have "training" to install Uponor and Viega pex also but I double damn guarantee that nobody is ever going to ask you for your certificate there and again, if you are a homeowner you can do whatever you want with whatever you want. This is America where anybody with a credit card can go buy whatever he wants or needs and install it in his own house and potentially create a situation that could put the health and safety of a great number of innocent people at risk. Think twice before you start dishing out helpful advice. Your helpful advice might just be what pushes an ignorant neophyte to take on a project that could very well prove to be disastrous.

Irony; A few years back they passed Amelia's law in New Hampshire. The gist of the story is that a carpenter/contractor, removed the stove while renovating the kitchen and did not cap the gas line. It was a summer home on lake Winnipasaukee. The owners decided to come up for the weekend and stay over. The gas bottle outside was shut off and needing heat for the night, they turned it on not knowing the stove line was open. A little bit later the house blew up and killed their daughter. As a result we now license the living crap out of gas installers and technicians but..........HOMEOWNERS, CONTRACTORS, ETC. Can still do whatever they want.

The best advice you will ever give any unlicensed, unskilled person is to call someone that is.
                          Homeowners can do whatever they want if on their primary residence with no sort of monetary gain like selling their house and in most cases it still requires permitting....around here that is. Now find me someone willing to come down on the homeowner for legal reasons. They will not, they will come after the licensed contractors though. After all, we are ripping people off at every turn and making all of the money.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                            I called, this time a W-S branch, you are right they do sell black iron and fittings. They now tell me that they should have said they couldn't thread it. Why? Some preposterous notion of the dies not being rated to cut threads for gas. Whatever, I was talking to an employee at the store, not a contractor. They misspoke and I should have went there. Cost me a little extra time that night but the job got done.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

there is no difference in cutting and threading steel pipe. doesn't matter if it's for water, gas , or air. the threads are all the same for all the products.

of course a bad set/ poorly adjusted dies are the main cause of poor threads.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                there is no difference in cutting and threading steel pipe. doesn't matter if it's for water, gas , or air. the threads are all the same for all the products.

of course a bad set/ poorly adjusted dies are the main cause of poor threads.

rick.
                                I know that but they do not. They know what they are told and that is all. It is obvious it is a company policy.
                                AllurePlumbing.com
                                • leak detection
                                • drain cleaning
                                • utility locating
                                • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                                X