X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little trick today.

I had to unscrew a 3/4 x 1/2 brass bushing which was slightly recessed into a finished marble wall. There was between 1/4" - 1/2" space between the bushing and the hole in the marble so I was only able to get the tip of my pliers on the bushing. Pliers facing straight in, perpendicular to the wall, not parallel to the bushing head like you would normally have. That bushing was really socked in there too. The installer (King Kong) must have thought it was high pressure or something. Sheesh.

Anyway, I took a 2nd pair of pliers and clamped down HARD on the first pair of pliers jaws that was holding on to the bushing. The 2nd pliers I had parallel as though that pliers was actually on the bushing. Gave the 2nd pair of pliers a crank and voila! If you want I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I've done this before from time to time.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: A little trick today.

Great tip, but a socket and rachet wouldn't work?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

how about an easy out?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        how about an easy out?

rick.
        Brass is too soft. If it is the reverse screw type, it will thread in to it. If the other it will cut into it and strip it full bore. Putting the biggest wedge in it to keep it from collapsing is best. If it went into brass, add a little extra teflon than normal as the fitting may have been stretched from over tightening.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Had a similar situation the other day, and none of my easy outs, or extractors would work. Had to cut it out and cave it in to get it out, cause I was dreading opening the wall from behind.

Plumber who installed these body sprays used black nipples.

Comment

Its a new construction mentality....can't see it from my house and I only warranty it for a year, it will last much longer.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

We were installing shower valves, like we do every day. Week we ran out of half brass caps. My helper tossed me a black cap asks said use this it will pass inspection.

While he is right it will in that city, I put a female adapter and pex cap on.

I think that just speaks volumes about the mentality of the trade today.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                We were installing shower valves, like we do every day. Week we ran out of half brass caps. My helper tossed me a black cap asks said use this it will pass inspection.

While he is right it will in that city, I put a female adapter and pex cap on.

I think that just speaks volumes about the mentality of the trade today.
                Great statement Stolen. And thats exactly my point in my other post. The trade is going to the crapper. When you have guys taking the easy way out or just not caring about the craft. Then you have the "illegal immigrants" who do the same. then customer think to themselves , "well Hell I can do that". Thats were the proper training comes in at. Its pricesless. To say" no dont use black pipe on water it will rust" The simple tricks of the trade that need to be learned with the proper training and cant be taught by some DIY video on YOUTUBE. We have to draw the line somewhere.
                Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Had to change out the valve stems on a wall lavy yesterday because the depth of the mirror that wasn't on the plans during inwall install made the factory stems too short. Tub socket wouldn't do the job. Since it was 3/4" and the stem was not removable from the cartridge, I needed a very deep socket to engage the cartridge nut. Mine being only 2", I was lucky to see the sprinkler guys 4" deep socket SAE set sitting on the floor beside his ladder (nice coincidence). The end of the socket stuck out of the mirror about 3/4", just enough to get a grip on it with a Ridgid 12". Got lucky and didn't crack the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
                    Great statement Stolen. And thats exactly my point in my other post. The trade is going to the crapper. When you have guys taking the easy way out or just not caring about the craft. Then you have the "illegal immigrants" who do the same. then customer think to themselves , "well Hell I can do that". Thats were the proper training comes in at. Its pricesless. To say" no dont use black pipe on water it will rust" The simple tricks of the trade that need to be learned with the proper training and cant be taught by some DIY video on YOUTUBE. We have to draw the line somewhere.
                    You think you have a problem with illegal immigrants out in DC? Here in Los Angeles, everyone with a pipe wrench and a drum machine is a plumber.....but I blame the homeowners who hire these people.

I actually looked in the Pennysaver a few months ago....4 or 5 ads for plumbers....the most expensive guy wanted $50 to clear any drain, the cheapest was $25 and one actually offered to clear a drain and cam for $40....
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      how about an easy out?

rick.
                      Well, the two pliers were right next to me in my bucket, and my easy outs are out in the truck and being the lazy bum I that I am I prefer to avoid that trip if possible.

But this way I also saved the bushing which was essentially brand new.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                      X