X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for rick and co.

Yes he did. This is one of many reasons why I think only black iron should be run above ground. The sad part is the gas line was labled.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

not even sure if the solenoid would open at such a low pressure. plus an ice maker is on a timed fill rate of several seconds.

i only come across gas lines behind fridges in really old homes. and even then have only seen a handful that has gas still live. haven't seen a working gas fridge except in a motor home.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        not even sure if the solenoid would open at such a low pressure. plus an ice maker is on a timed fill rate of several seconds.

i only come across gas lines behind fridges in really old homes. and even then have only seen a handful that has gas still live. haven't seen a working gas fridge except in a motor home.

rick.
        It wasn't supposed to be a gas line, it was supposed to be a water line. I have never seen anyone run a gas line to a refrigerator....why was that done on the older models?

Not sure of timing of the solenoid valve but it snaps open and shut when called for.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          It wasn't supposed to be a gas line, it was supposed to be a water line. I have never seen anyone run a gas line to a refrigerator....why was that done on the older models?

Not sure of timing of the solenoid valve but it snaps open and shut when called for.
          in the old days, they had a gas fired refrigerator. it was so efficient that the power company purchased the company and shut it down

the only place you see them now are in rv's.

there are typically 2 water valves on a fridge/ freezer. the one for water in the door is a normally open momentary contact/ valve closed position when not energized. the freezer/ ice cube maker is also a similar solenoid, but is on a timed fill cycle. it basically set to fill up in a few seconds cycle. field adjustable to compensate for pressure. this is of course once the machine calls for ice and the cubes have ejected with the help of the ice tray heater and ejector fingers. most solenoid valves require a minimum pressure to operate and i doubt that the gas pressure of 7-11'' w.c. would open the valve.

now lets get back on track. it's easy to assume that the pipe sticking out behind the fridge is a water line. but if a plumber homeowner or handyman shuts off the water to the house and goes to unscrew the pipe/ cap. you would still have gas present at the pipe and therefore a person would have to be a complete moron not to know the line is a gas line.

i've unscrewed them before and they were gas. most old homes never had water ruffed in for a fridge, because old fridges never had ice makers or drinking water. so it's pretty safe to assume if you see black or gal pipe behind a fridge, there's a good chance it's gas. unless of course plumbers are still using gal water pipes.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            in the old days, they had a gas fired refrigerator. it was so efficient that the power company purchased the company and shut it down

the only place you see them now are in rv's.

there are typically 2 water valves on a fridge/ freezer. the one for water in the door is a normally open momentary contact/ valve closed position when not energized. the freezer/ ice cube maker is also a similar solenoid, but is on a timed fill cycle. it basically set to fill up in a few seconds cycle. field adjustable to compensate for pressure. this is of course once the machine calls for ice and the cubes have ejected with the help of the ice tray heater and ejector fingers. most solenoid valves require a minimum pressure to operate and i doubt that the gas pressure of 7-11'' w.c. would open the valve.

now lets get back on track. it's easy to assume that the pipe sticking out behind the fridge is a water line. but if a plumber homeowner or handyman shuts off the water to the house and goes to unscrew the pipe/ cap. you would still have gas present at the pipe and therefore a person would have to be a complete moron not to know the line is a gas line.

i've unscrewed them before and they were gas. most old homes never had water ruffed in for a fridge, because old fridges never had ice makers or drinking water. so it's pretty safe to assume if you see black or gal pipe behind a fridge, there's a good chance it's gas. unless of course plumbers are still using gal water pipes.

rick.
            Servel is still making gas refrigerators. They are now owned by Domestic.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The homeowner used a saddle valve on a copper gas line. He ran the icemaker line himself. I don't know what was going through his mind other than he could do a simple job himself. He thought he was tapping a water line, not a gas line. I didn't mean for anyone to think he intentionally ran gas to a refrigerator. I don't know how it came across that way.

I have seen people run their own before and they call me to say it didn't work and the ice machine is frozen solid from it spitting all over the freezer due to air. What can I say?
              Last edited by Gettinit; 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

My fav was a 1/2" pex line, sharkbite connection to a 1/2" radiant heat floor loop and run to an outside sillcock so the Dufus could wash his car with hot water....Dooooooh
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X