X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't assume

I received a call to change two boiler relief valves at a school. I know that one suffix letter in the specs can mean the difference between profit and loss, and my gut told me something, so I told the CM to wait until I get an exact quote. At the risk of sounding like I did something which should be obvious, I'm glad I waited for the quote.
    The valve in the pic cost me $971, and I bought two.
    A GC friend is taking a $15K hit($1.2M. job so he will be ok) by winging the estimate on 1/2" thick glass mirrors and guessing the price in a rush to bid the job.
    Attached Files

Re: Don't assume

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
    I received a call to change two boiler relief valves at a school. I know that one suffix letter in the specs can mean the difference between profit and loss, and my gut told me something, so I told the CM to wait until I get an exact quote. At the risk of sounding like I did something which should be obvious, I'm glad I waited for the quote.
    The valve in the pic cost me $971, and I bought two.
    A GC friend is taking a $15K hit($1.2M. job so he will be ok) by winging the estimate on 1/2" thick glass mirrors and guessing the price in a rush to bid the job.
    Could you imagine the liability if you put on one that wasn't rated....cya
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Re: Don't assume

It's nice when the gut comes through. Winging it is a recipe for disaster. To carry it even farther, my father used to say never memorize prices because they change regularly, mostly upward.

Comment

Working...
      X