Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welding steel SCH40 NG

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Welds fine. I'm guessing because It's, been running water, You'd start running
    holes into it with necessary heat. Who Knows!
    BI pipe welds just fine, but cast or malleable fittings are not generally considered weldable by normal processes.

Comment

the other issue is this is used and assembled pipe with pipe dope and or teflon joints. you would have to burn out the dope and oil first. even if it can be done with success, i don't think it's legal to weld it.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have still not been convinced that it would not be legal under the CPC, but lets leave legalities aside for the moment and talk about safety, which is ultimately what we, as plumbers, need be most concerned with. If a skilled welder were to weld these joints would it be safe for the long haul?

FYI - I think I've been persuaded against welding this pipe. I'm not confident that the results would be safe given the circumstances, so I am going to do it the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          That is a crock of, well you know. I had the galvy shakes so bad after a job one night the wife wanted to call an ambulance( I promptly felt better and asked wtf they were gonna do). All you can do is wear a p-100 respirator beforehand, or wait em out and wish you were dead.
          I'll give You the # of SF Ironworkers Local # 377. You tell them It's a crock.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by malder View Post
            I've got a customer with 500+ feet of 2.5" pipe and a few leaky fittings. I'm thinking if I weld the joints - no more leak and no disassembling back to the union or cutting into the line.

Is there any reason that a threaded coupling/pipe cannot or should not be welded? The only reference I can find in the CPC is 310.2 - which refers to concealing problems. Otherwise I can find no reference to any instance that welding is not permitted - e.g. threaded couplings.
            Good question. I had to do a little research and what I found is Yes, you can weld cast iron to steel (SMAW) Low-hy will work. Problem is the weld zone is brittle.

Comment

Rick probably has a 141 and a 700 and everything else for you to rent and get the job done easier and faster. As long as you can use a lift, its butta baby.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                That is a crock of, well you know. I had the galvy shakes so bad after a job one night the wife wanted to call an ambulance( I promptly felt better and asked wtf they were gonna do). All you can do is wear a p-100 respirator beforehand, or wait em out and wish you were dead.
                These shakes....they just come and go real quick? Wait it out, what does it feel like when you're affected by it?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Never had Galvanic poisoning Myself. Just read a post on a weld forum. Welder welded Galvy for 10 years. Only time he got sick ,is the time He didn't drink milk. As soon as He drank it He was fine.Calcium is the antidote for Galv. poisoning. Also read years ago the welders union required mild for the welders on Galvy. If You need to weld Galvy,Grind or sand blast
                  weld area first. Use a fan and Mask. Mild has been used for Years . there always have been nay sayers.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    the other issue is this is used and assembled pipe with pipe dope and or teflon joints. you would have to burn out the dope and oil first. even if it can be done with success, i don't think it's legal to weld it.

rick.
                    I was wondering if anyone was gonna pick up on the pipe dope being a problem.

Besides, everyone knows if you wear a bunch of garlic cloves around your neck you won't get the Galvy shakes.

You guys are too funny, and scarey at the same time.

Cast fittings on gas pipe? Where do you get this stuff, from the internet???
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

the best bet is to cut out the coupling or fitting and add a 1' section of bald end pipe. then the pipe can easily be welded at both ends and you're not screwing around with the fitting. the other end is still screwed into the 90 or tee and can easily be doped or made up.

problem solved and it's legal.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

How long does mild steel pipe hold up to different waters?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            I was wondering if anyone was gonna pick up on the pipe dope being a problem.

Besides, everyone knows if you wear a bunch of garlic cloves around your neck you won't get the Galvy shakes.

You guys are too funny, and scarey at the same time.

Cast fittings on gas pipe? Where do you get this stuff, from the internet???
                            Have a lot of welding experience Bob ?

Comment

Test the line, find your "few leaks", cut out the leaky fittings and weld in a short piece of 2-1/2" pipe at each, test again and if it holds you're good to go, if not, repeat.

Comment

It depends, DI water eats it quick, the stuff straight from our well fields is pretty good on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X