X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding steel SCH40 NG

I've got a customer with 500+ feet of 2.5" pipe and a few leaky fittings. I'm thinking if I weld the joints - no more leak and no disassembling back to the union or cutting into the line.

Is there any reason that a threaded coupling/pipe cannot or should not be welded? The only reference I can find in the CPC is 310.2 - which refers to concealing problems. Otherwise I can find no reference to any instance that welding is not permitted - e.g. threaded couplings.

Re: Welding steel SCH40 NG

Great question. I think 310.2 sinks your boat. Going beyond that, Chapter 12 [1209.5.2.2 (1)] allows gas pipe to be welded if it conforms to ASME B36.10 which your pipe may be. However, any fittings you weld would also have to be approved weld fittings. Plus, I think welding pipe at a tapered thread joint would nullify it's compliance to the ASME standard.

Comment

definitely no expert here, but if the couplings are cast, I could see some problems, if the coupling is steel I doubt if there would be a problem with steel compatibility or the rod used.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What is the pipe ? Galvy, Allum ? I'm a welder,I wouldn't
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Unless they used steel couplings or it is SS pipe I am gonna say no.

Comment

Make sure You bring a quart of milk along for welding the old GALVY PIPE !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Help me out. what does milk do when welding galvy? AND I truly thought sch 40 fitting are made from steel. they're not? Or is black iron not steel? Metal forming is not my specialty. thanks.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the milk is suppose to coat your stomach and esophagus. welding on gal pipe will expose the zinc that burns off and you inhale.

on a side note, i don't believe it's legal to weld a screw together joint.

but i've brazed a dripping copper soldered fitting. that's legal.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Help me out. what does milk do when welding galvy? AND I truly thought sch 40 fitting are made from steel. they're not? Or is black iron not steel? Metal forming is not my specialty. thanks.
                  Welding on or burning off Galvanized coating can give You Zink fume Fever! Milk is the antidote! Read on shop floor talk [ welding forum] under welding process,by franz. Poor Jim Wilson Died. He was burning off the Galvy coating to salvage iron for an Art project. Iron workers lay down Galvanized Q decking
                  over structural steel on Hi risers. They spot weld it to the I beams. At coffee time they ALL drink Milk from the canteen truck ! My older Brother Was burning off Galvy coating to make a bumper for His jeep.
                  He was so bad He told His Wife He was dying ,and He loved Her ! He then remembered our wonderful our old welder friend. Bob Laughed, "ARTHUR DRINK A QUART OF MILK NOW ! " Bingo He was fine "
                  No folk tale, it works! Try to burn,weld up wind of Galvy, and wear a mask. Funny ,the Iron workers never did wear masks in the 80s.
                  Last edited by toolaholic; 06-27-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Tool, what about the welding of black iron...can it be done?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Lots of us Well Drillers used to weld black iron pipe years ago instead of threading them together. The joints were stronger than threaded joints and would take more pounding. It was legal then, but who knows these days.
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Forgot to specify - pipe is black iron.

Unless I am mistaken black iron is just low carbon steel, no? I just assumed it would be weldable, but maybe I'm wrong...

My main main concern/thinking was the tapered end possibly thinning the pipe and compromising the integrity of the pipe (not conforming with the ASME standard, etc...). Though if a good weld is laid on the joint I find it hard to believe that this would be a weaker method of joining the pipes.
                        Last edited by malder; 06-27-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Black pipe that I have used is easily weldable,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Tool, what about the welding of black iron...can it be done?
                            Welds fine. I'm guessing because It's, been running water, You'd start running
                            holes into it with necessary heat. Who Knows!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              Make sure You bring a quart of milk along for welding the old GALVY PIPE !
                              That is a crock of, well you know. I had the galvy shakes so bad after a job one night the wife wanted to call an ambulance( I promptly felt better and asked wtf they were gonna do). All you can do is wear a p-100 respirator beforehand, or wait em out and wish you were dead.
                              Last edited by TozziWelding; 06-27-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X