Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever leave a vent or waste line open for a while, say... overnight.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever leave a vent or waste line open for a while, say... overnight.

Sewer gas blamed for southern Minnesota house explosion that injured man - TwinCities.com

FREEBORN, Minn. -- Fire officials confirmed Monday that gas from an uncapped sewer line caused the explosion at a house north of Freeborn on Friday that badly burned a man.
    Freeborn Fire Chief Steve Siepp and a representative from the state fire marshal's office investigated the explosion on Monday morning.

Siepp said they concluded that sewer gas from an uncapped line had backed into the house, and the gas was ignited when Ralph William Yotter, 75, came into the house and turned on a light switch.

Yotter suffered burns to his face and body and remained in serious condition at Regions Hospital in St. Paul Monday afternoon.

Yotter and his wife, Patricia, had been mowing the grass around the house, and Patricia was standing outside at the time of the explosion. According to authorities, the Yotters had recently sold the property and were awaiting closing. They were not living there at the time of the explosion.

Patricia Yotter did not suffer any burns but was treated for other injuries and released from Mayo Clinic Health System in Albert Lea.

Firefighters from Freeborn, Alden, Hartland and Manchester battled the blaze, which destroyed the house.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Ever leave a vent or waste line open for a while, say... overnight.

Never,I do care
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i see it al the time when they hire a tile or cabinet man to remodel a bathroom or kitchen. they demo the fixtures and leave them uncapped.

what worries me more is the potential for a stoppage from an upper floor fixture flooding out the open line.

was this city sewer or septic?

that's some bad gas

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i see it al the time when they hire a tile or cabinet man to remodel a bathroom or kitchen. they demo the fixtures and leave them uncapped.

what worries me more is the potential for a stoppage from an upper floor fixture flooding out the open line.

that's some bad gas

rick.

The article didn't say if it was sewer or septic. However, the town of Freeborn, Mn has a population of less than 300 people. I would wager it was septic / mound system.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

They run boiler burners off of methane with dual fuel burners quite often at city waste water plants.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

that's some bad gas

rick.
            I know it is wrong to make fun of someone getting injured especially these innocent older people. It does however give over to the sad reality that our minds immediately jump to so many obscene thoughts. Seriously we rarely hear of issues like this over here.

Comment

Have not heard of anything like this in my area, but I was always taught to never leave any lines uncapped just for safety and potential damage. This article just helps me reassure myself to keep doing it. Unfortunate for the couple, innocence hurt by ignorance.
              Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
              crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Yes I have, last weekend as a matter of fact. Sewer back up call, cleanout in a crawl space 100 year old house and the cap was the rare 3.25" and I was out of them. Tied a contractor bag around the CO and told them I would return with a cap when we came back on Monday to dig in an outside CO to jet the line (owner poured gravel down the downspouts to keep rats out of his sewer). Monday they told me they went to home depot and got diggers and they didn't need my services. Hope they can find the ever rare 3.25" cap
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                  Yes I have, last weekend as a matter of fact. Sewer back up call, cleanout in a crawl space 100 year old house and the cap was the rare 3.25" and I was out of them. Tied a contractor bag around the CO and told them I would return with a cap when we came back on Monday to dig in an outside CO to jet the line (owner poured gravel down the downspouts to keep rats out of his sewer). Monday they told me they went to home depot and got diggers and they didn't need my services. Hope they can find the ever rare 3.25" cap
                  Why would they, you capped it already. Why spend the extra money? LOL
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                  X