Hmmmmm, I guess it depends on age?

Attached Files
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: How strong is CI pipe?

Is this from a residence or business?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's a residence....that drain serves the kitchen and laundry room. It's only one 10' length that's split down the middle and barely held together. But the CI before and after that 10 footer is all intact and looks like it's in decent shape. That specific stick of pipe just looks very out of place, like maybe it was rusted old stock when it was installed.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

We need to see what happened to the right. I'm guessing the left is secure, and over time,for some reason the right settled. Funny I see no evidence of waste below it. Is it a 2" laundry line ? Also what't strange is ,what looks like 2 floor joists , one above the other at the plumbers tape area. Old Red fir framing.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We need to see what happened to the right. I'm guessing the left is secure, and over time,for some reason the right settled. Funny I see no evidence of waste below it. Is it a 2" laundry line ? Also what's strange, is what looks like a 2 floor joists , one above the other, at the plumbers tape area. Old Red fir framing. Hope You post a repaired Photo, Or is the owner getting 200 Bids from the Lil Norwegions ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            We need to see what happened to the right. I'm guessing the left is secure, and over time,for some reason the right settled. Funny I see no evidence of waste below it. Is it a 2" laundry line ? Also what't strange is ,what looks like 2 floor joists , one above the other at the plumbers tape area. Old Red fir framing.
            Kitchen and laundry.....

I'll be cutting out the bad section tomorrow, so expect more pics.

As far as the framing, it's just a weird angle. Camera trickery :P
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Oh, on a side note....I ran into my the second out-of-the-box defective fluidmaster 400A today of my career.
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                Oh, on a side note....I ran into my the second out-of-the-box defective fluidmaster 400A today of my career.
                Your lucky, had 1 case with about 6 defective, so returned the rest. Don't know how many more were defective. What was the defect? The ones I had would leak from the top excessively, when the tank was filling, & then keep running, at a slow steady sream, out of the top, even after it shut off. Tried cleaning the discs a few times, & nothing worked. Haven't had any lately though.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                  Your lucky, had 1 case with about 6 defective, so returned the rest. Don't know how many more were defective. What was the defect? The ones I had would leak from the top excessively, when the tank was filling, & then keep running, at a slow steady sream, out of the top, even after it shut off. Tried cleaning the discs a few times, & nothing worked. Haven't had any lately though.
                  This one just wouldn't shut off.....filled normally and slowed down, but never stopped.
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I've got 50ft of C.I. to cut out next week in an 70 year old home.

Cracks all over the C.I. and still holding strong, but absolutely needs to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I've got 50ft of C.I. to cut out next week in an 70 year old home.

Cracks all over the C.I. and still holding strong, but absolutely needs to be replaced.
                      Will You go C.I. or plastic ?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Will You go C.I. or plastic ?
                        Just a little bit of "Crack Stick"

Comment

Well, I'm not quite sure what was going on with that drain. It served the laundry room and kitchen....best I can guess is maybe the previous homeowner(s) were bleach crazy and that caused all the rust in the CI. But the piping forward of the hub in the photo was in good shape. Everything else just fell apart from the rust.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

just looked at a 20 year old building on the wilshire corridor. they wanted me to snake the pool deck drains and when i looked in the garage, the 3''-6'' no hub was split in many sections of pipe. both the side serving the pool area and the opposite side of the building serving just deck and roof drains.

this is a very common problem with area drains that get wet and dry and then rust. doesn't happen nearly as much with waste lines. of course the piping is all the same brand and all installed the same way at the same time.

it's the rusting and drying and rusting that springs open the pipe. the rust forms and then drys and then forms on top of itself causing a growing/ expansion affect. seen it hundreds of times on jobs i service, visit and even on jobs that i did the new construction on. once again much more common on area drains and planters than on waste lines.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X