X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple shower bodysprays

Going back several years ago, "car wash showers" were all the rage here. Well, I figured, I'm gonna do the most obnoxious one ever. And I did.
    When I was done, six bodysprays, rainhead, and handshower later, fed by a 20 gpm mixng valve, I said to myself: "what am I, stupid?" "What is this supposed to do for me, while there is severe drought in many areas of the country."
    I don't use the bodysprays unless I am filthy, and I soap up and use it for 10 seconds.
    99% of the time I use just the one handshower raised up on the bar.
    I'm tempted to cap 4 of the bodysprays.
    I also tell people to reconsider if they really want them installed.
    What say you, should they even be legal?
    Last edited by NYC LMP; 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM.

Re: multiple shower bodysprays

Of course they should, it's like a whirlpool bathtub. For a long time every house I touched got one, I used to get sewer smell calls from quite a few of them because the traps dried out. They are a feature, a selling point, and not much more. That massive shower? Yeah, the rainhead and handheld get used. The novelty of the jets fades quickly, but that Customer just HAS to have them, and I'm perfectly willing to take his money. And besides, they aren't wasting water if they arent getting used.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The only way I would say it was ok is if it went to a grey water system. What size did they make you run for the drain?
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

2" drain, vented properly. No problem.

Comment

I am sure it does fine, but you never know what an inspector would want.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc lmp View Post
            going back several years ago, "car wash showers" were all the rage here. Well, i figured, i'm gonna do the most obnoxious one ever. And i did.
            When i was done, six bodysprays, rainhead, and handshower later, fed by a 20 gpm mixng valve, i said to myself: "what am i, stupid?" "what is this supposed to do for me, while there is severe drought in many areas of the country."
            i don't use the bodysprays unless i am filthy, and i soap up and use it for 10 seconds.
            99% of the time i use just the one handshower raised up on the bar.
            i thought da mayor had a big gulp law !!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
              Going back several years ago, "car wash showers" were all the rage here. Well, I figured, I'm gonna do the most obnoxious one ever. And I did.
              When I was done, six bodysprays, rainhead, and handshower later, fed by a 20 gpm mixng valve, I said to myself: "what am I, stupid?" "What is this supposed to do for me, while there is severe drought in many areas of the country."
              I don't use the bodysprays unless I am filthy, and I soap up and use it for 10 seconds.
              99% of the time I use just the one handshower raised up on the bar.
              Ha! I put a shower together about 7 years ago that had three body sprays, a rain shower head, wall shower, and handheld shower. All could be operated independently. The mixer and all piping to each appliance was 3/4". The shower, which was constructed of Corian developed a leak after three months or so. The cause of the leak? After a couple hours we determined that the lowest body spray had been pointed at the seam between the base and wall on the opposite side of the shower. (4 foot wide shower). The spray from the body spray was forceful enough that it wore away the silicone seal at the joint, as well as behind the wall going up the base about 1" on the backside! We recaulked the joint, and told the HO to point the body spray at something else.

BTW: I installed a 3" drain and p-trap in that shower to take all the water.

To answer your question, I wouldn't cap those bodysprays. If you're willing to pay for the water and sewer charges for the water you consume what's the difference? Maybe someday you and your better half will want to have a shower party. Then you'll be all set.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Did quite a few over the years, and one of them was obnoxious with all of the body sprays they had me install. We didn't get the heating job associated with this job, and today they can only take an approximate 8-10 minute shower if everything is used at once. Needless to say, they are not happy campers and wished we did the Boiler job as well.

Comment

What cracks me up on jobs like this, is when the HO will spend big bucks for all this stuff, spring for the 12" or 15" fancy rain head, but don't want to change out their 40 gal, water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by don the plumber View Post
                    what cracks me up on jobs like this, is when the ho will spend big bucks for all this stuff, spring for the 12" or 15" fancy rain head, but don't want to change out their 40 gal, water heater.
                    " always money for the 2nd plasma tv for the kids though ! "
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      " always money for the 2nd plasma tv for the kids though ! "
                      That's because they are entitled.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

My code book says: In drainage fixture units the first head is 2 units and each additional one is 1 unit. A 2" trap will handle up it 4 DFU's,
                        3" 6 DFU's and 4" 8 DFU's.
                        A rain dome (2), hand shower (1) and 2 body sprays (2) (5 total) would require a 3" drain.
                        We size then that way, but I don't know many inspectors who check.

Comment

There is an inspector out this way that would. His goal in life is to make trouble. We all get upset at some inspectors every now and again. I have yet to have a problem with him but I am surprised another plumber hasn't left him for dead in a ditch yet.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                            There is an inspector out this way that would. His goal in life is to make trouble. We all get upset at some inspectors every now and again. I have yet to have a problem with him but I am surprised another plumber hasn't left him for dead in a ditch yet.
                            Is the nickname "Mayhem"?

Comment

"Should they be legal?"

Are you freaking kidding me with that. Look, if people what to use a ton of water they should need to pay for it. Our water dept does as such, once you use over a certain amount your rates about quadruple per gallon. This discourages over usage.

Your suggesting the government dictates what I can put in my own home?

Well why not they already dictate what I can legally put in my own body.

What is with this mentality that the government must regulate every aspect of our lives? WTF happened to freedom?

"The kind of man who wants the government to enforce and adopt his ideas is always the kind of man who's ideas are idiotic" -H.L. Mencken
                              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X