Frickin Delta Shower Faucets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frickin Delta Shower Faucets

I know everyone knows this...... but I didn't when I first started. ..I used to take my channel lock pliers and put it on the groozed base of the delta cap and try to unspin it.... it seldom worked mostly always scratched the heck out of the cap. I ask my boss the secret and he laughs and say's you can't put the pliers on the grooved part because the threads are right under that part.... you have to loosen the plastic packing nut then you have to squeeze it at the top and it will unscrew pretty easy, he always had lots of new delta caps on the trucks to replace the one I made plier marks on ( at the top) so are you guys putting the pliers on above the thread area?.... I bet I'm the only dummy that had to learn that the hard way

Comment

I got a hold of one myself today....First I had to drill out the set screw in the handle due to the HO stripping it out. Couldn't even get the torx to set. Then the nut was locked up. I tapped it a few times with a 6oz. ball pein hammer and it screwed off just fine...grrr....lol.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

had 2 toady of the 1300-1400 series monitor valve. it uses a smooth round locking sleeve with nothing to grip. the set screw for the handle is factory at approx 2:00 and always retains water and scum in the plated pot metal handle. so no chance of unscrewing the set screw in both units. the round brass locking sleeve was all pitted and had never been removed since original installation from at least 10 plus years prior. and this being a repiped install, it was never properly strapped behind the smitty plate.

so first attempt was 2 channel locks and prepped with a ball pien hammer. no luck, then the 1/4'' cold chisel to tap it in an off direction. finally a tiny tim to relieve the brass and use the chisel to tap it off.

of course once i had it off and the new cartridge in place, i siliconed the nut and body for the next plumber.

the second valve just took a few blows with the chisel and then channelocks. once i drilled off the handle.

how in the heck does delta expect anyone to remove a shower handle with the screw in the up position

i'll let you know tomorrow when i call them to complain. we'll see about their guaranteed for life too. almost $300 in parts as the supply house doesn't carry the valve locking sleeve and the cartridge is a pre 2006 white colored cap. 46.00 each $16.00 a handle and $36.00 a valve body. trim was another $50.00 each.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          had 2 toady of the 1300-1400 series monitor valve. it uses a smooth round locking sleeve with nothing to grip. the set screw for the handle is factory at approx 2:00 and always retains water and scum in the plated pot metal handle. so no chance of unscrewing the set screw in both units. the round brass locking sleeve was all pitted and had never been removed since original installation from at least 10 plus years prior. and this being a repiped install, it was never properly strapped behind the smitty plate.

so first attempt was 2 channel locks and prepped with a ball pien hammer. no luck, then the 1/4'' cold chisel to tap it in an off direction. finally a tiny tim to relieve the brass and use the chisel to tap it off.

of course once i had it off and the new cartridge in place, i siliconed the nut and body for the next plumber.

the second valve just took a few blows with the chisel and then channelocks. once i drilled off the handle.

how in the heck does delta expect anyone to remove a shower handle with the screw in the up position

i'll let you know tomorrow when i call them to complain. we'll see about their guaranteed for life too. almost $300 in parts as the supply house doesn't carry the valve locking sleeve and the cartridge is a pre 2006 white colored cap. 46.00 each $16.00 a handle and $36.00 a valve body. trim was another $50.00 each.

rick.
          Gear Junkie JU JU...lol

Mine was also the early Monitor valve. Delta will send out the parts to the HO only. I had a cartridge so I replaced it and the customer was ok with it and will be getting the one in the mail soon. Delta is also sending the handle all under warranty! Too bad I can't just show a fax to them not charging the HO so I can be reimbursed for the cartridge. What do you do? There is no trust. It would be ok I think if the set screw was taped or greased.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

This is why I push Moen for standard faucets.

I haven't bought a Moen stem in 15 years, as my local supply house takes the old ones in exchange for new ones.

Comment

I love Moen for rental units. The cartridges are free (they will even mail them out to you or pick them up at home Depot for free). I can have a 1225 out and a new on installed in under 5 minutes.

Comment

To be fair I have taken many Monitor valves apart without issue.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

so here is what i ran into with customer service this morning.

#1 the handles do have to be cut off on many occasions and will mail a new handle out to the owner with proof of purchase.

#2 the bonnet nut needs to be wrapped with a rag and soaked in white vinegar and allowed to work for 20 minutes up to 2 days.

#3 they claim their cartridges don't knock.

#4 apartments/rental units are not lifetime guarantee. just 5 years with proof of purchase/ date.

#5 pretty much a waste of time calling customer service for the last 20 minutes

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

This is why I enjoy the forum. I've had to drill out and even cut off a few Delta handles, but I'm not alone! You're right, they won't send the service plumber parts, just the homeowner. As you know, they want it fixed and running TODAY; not when UPS arrives with a package from Delta next week. Even if it's an unused guest bath, now you're into a second trip. I have had luck with light heat and quenching with PB Blaster. With any old stuff with scale/hard water, I bring in my gallon of ZEP calcium, lime, and rust remover(same as CLR, but about half the price on the same shelf in the Depot) and a plastic cup.

Comment

If the pb blaster and lite tapping followed with a pipe wrench don't do it, I then heat it with my torch and douse it with cold water. That almost always works (almost being the key word there;-) I have melted the plastic cam before but it's obsolete anyway.
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        so here is what i ran into with customer service this morning.

#1 the handles do have to be cut off on many occasions and will mail a new handle out to the owner with proof of purchase.

#2 the bonnet nut needs to be wrapped with a rag and soaked in white vinegar and allowed to work for 20 minutes up to 2 days.

#3 they claim their cartridges don't knock.

#4 apartments/rental units are not lifetime guarantee. just 5 years with proof of purchase/ date.

#5 pretty much a waste of time calling customer service for the last 20 minutes

rick.
                        it's been 5 days now and all is quiet. no more random knocking.

i guess i'm smarter than the delta customer service rep and engineers there

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

That's different....never known you to claim you're smarter then someone else.

ok, i give up, i couldn't even type that with a straight face.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Dead on guys! I hate delta. I have rebuild moen posi temp four of them and did not charge my customers for parts and called moen back FOUR months later and they sent them out with no questions! That's customer service . Had a new customer with a delta kitchen faucet where the pin that holds the ball in place break off and I told her to call delta to get replacment faucet and they wanted a copy of the deed ! Of course I ripped it out and installed the new Moen Chateau.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                              Dead on guys! I hate delta. I have rebuild moen posi temp four of them and did not charge my customers for parts and called moen back FOUR months later and they sent them out with no questions! That's customer service . Had a new customer with a delta kitchen faucet where the pin that holds the ball in place break off and I told her to call delta to get replacment faucet and they wanted a copy of the deed ! Of course I ripped it out and installed the new Moen Chateau.
                              Had to stop by one of my customer's today, as the new Moen Kitchen Faucet I installed 3 months ago had a defective part inside. Moen didn't even blink an eye, and they are sending out a brand new faucet, cause the part can't be changed out, as it's not suppose to move at all.

Comment

First off, always carry a extra nut. Got to remember that when you are gripping down super hard, you are actually putting it in a bind.

If it wont come off with little hassle, cut the nut off. It's just not worth the time screwing with it. Dont worry about the threads, but try to stay out of them. If you mar them up no big deal.

Also keep in mind the difference between the old blue cartridges, and the new grey ones from the universal valves, is the white part that holds the cups and springs. Once you split the cartridge you can swap parts if you are in a jamb. Like having to drill something out. Like the stem the handle bites onto

Comment

Working...
                                X