X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frickin Delta Shower Faucets

Been dealing with a bunch of these lately and am having a hard time getting the brass bonnet nut off. The water here is very hard and is freezing them up good. I've, knock on wood, been able to get all of them off with a pipe wrench holding the very edge of the nut and a backup wrench but I know someone has figured out an easier way.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Frickin Delta Shower Faucets

ben, are these the same cap as what's used on the delta 100 series kitchen faucets?

i have a knurled metal ring that clamps around the knurled cap and allows for a good grip without scarring the chrome finish. of course too much and you pop the 3/8'' copper tubing behind the body.

try tightening a little first, then loosen.

ben, have a full day of jetting tomorrow. you scratch my back and i scratch your's

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That is why it is always wise to save the good bonnet caps from faucets that you remove. The same ones will also fit on the shower valves. Our shop policy was to try gently first to remove, and then when that did not work use a small hand held hacksaw to cut at the meat (thick ) portion of the cap so it could be split with a screw driver without damaging the threads on the valve body.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        ben, are these the same cap as what's used on the delta 100 series kitchen faucets?

i have a knurled metal ring that clamps around the knurled cap and allows for a good grip without scarring the chrome finish. of course too much and you pop the 3/8'' copper tubing behind the body.

try tightening a little first, then loosen.

ben, have a full day of jetting tomorrow. you scratch my back and i scratch your's

rick.
        I like to cut mine off if they don't come off by hand. If this is the faucet I like putting the #50 cap nut back on with the purple anti seize ring. Have you noticed that the newest ones are not coming in the packages anymore?
        Last edited by Gettinit; 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Time for a new valve and a water softner if you ask me! One thing i do when i CAN get it off is use plumber's grease on the threads for the next go-round. Also, i try to remember to do this with new installs so that when it needs serviced, it can be. One other thing to try would be to loosen the plastic nut within the bonnet and squirt some penetrating oil in there and let it sit a while. I'd still have a new valve handy and have customer prepared to pay for replacement. Then I'd crank on it until it comes off, or the 3/8'' tubing twists. Good luck! (HATE those darn things!)

Comment

Same problem here, and once in awhile running straight HOT water will loosen them up, but that doesn't always work.

Comment

I always have good luck pecking at the bonnet with the plastic end of a screw driver hard and steady
              Some take longer than others ,but will come off with my hand
              They always get the grease going back on

Comment

" I always have good luck pecking at the bonnet with the plastic end of a screw driver hard and steady
                They always get the grease going back on"

X2 +

Small plastic hammer PB Blaster then Squeeze Gently with BIG channelocks alternate positions then usually comes off by hand

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post

" I always have good luck pecking at the bonnet with the plastic end of a screw driver hard and steady
                  They always get the grease going back on"

X2 +

Small plastic hammer PB Blaster then Squeeze Gently with BIG channelocks alternate positions then usually comes off by hand
                  PB Blaster? Que?
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Gear ,remember the military way of instant cold beer? Empty a fire extinguisher on a case of warm beer. Bet that would loosen it after cold shock then rag with hot water.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i have to cut those POS's off 90% of the time.....i use my dremel with a cutoff wheel ..... a bit more handy and precision than a sawzall......the other 10% is that the HO tried to get ot off with a big pair of pliers and no backing wrench and the 3/8 tubing is twisted to sh1t.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Gear ,remember the military way of instant cold beer? Empty a fire extinguisher on a case of warm beer. Bet that would loosen it after cold shock then rag with hot water.
                        LOL, me and my friends got in big trouble for doing this in Spain many moons ago. We got drunk and needed to cool down the beer and thought that all the fire extingushers around the barracks would be a great idea.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          LOL, me and my friends got in big trouble for doing this in Spain many moons ago. We got drunk and needed to cool down the beer and thought that all the fire extingushers around the barracks would be a great idea.
                          Same here on our USMC Helo bases. You stand By each turn up with an extingushers. BIG BROHAHA , all MT after beer bust.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What to do in PB blaster?
                            How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbers101 View Post
                              What to do in PB blaster?
                              It's a penetrating oil.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • conductor fault locating
                              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                              X