X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "From a budget stand point"

I do a fairly large DWV plastic pipe (PVC) project with my junior class each year consisting of 3", 2", and 1 1/2" pipe in a crawlspace that we build in my shop, but from a budget stand point would it be beneficial for me to do this as an ABS project instead or should I just stick to PVC. I'm just lookin' for the most bang for my educational buck as far as piping, fittings and associated primer & glue costs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM.

Re: "From a budget stand point"

Same problem here. Every year the price of PVC goes up and up and my budget goes down and down. One of the things I do is to not have them glue the fittings but mark for depth with a sharpie. It's a pain but it does force them to learn how to hang pipe LOL

I wish some big company like Charlotte would donate pvc and fittings to high school technology classes (screw the post secondaries. Their students can foot the bill)
    sigpic

Comment

I have bought every student one fitting each before. We'd draw up a piping diagram and each student would cut, ream, prime, glue and install both sides of their fitting. We'd let it cure over night then pressurize it with about 5 psi of air pressure. Students were graded on installation and the fitting being leak free. Do you much with ABS? What kind of cost difference is there? I haven't looked into it, but I'm considering it.

Comment

I don't know about KY but, in NC ABS is more expensive than PVC. This is mainly due to proximity and demand. In Canada I believe they use alot of ABS so PVC is more expensive up there. Just really depends on where you live and what is predominate in your area.

Comment

out here we use exclusively abs, but from my camera inspection standpoint, i would prefer pvc as it's much nicer to camera.

as far as your situation, i would use whatever product that is used in your town. truthfully purple primer will separate the neat freaks from the slobs.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I was going to teach at a local college before the business blew loose and they had marketing issues. Charlotte and others will donate to schools. You would be amazed at who will contribute. I was going to get backflow preventers as well. Make the call.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              as far as your situation, i would use whatever product that is used in your town.

rick.
              I agree. Whatever they will be exposed to once they get out in the field is what you should use.

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
                I have bought every student one fitting each before. We'd draw up a piping diagram and each student would cut, ream, prime, glue and install both sides of their fitting. We'd let it cure over night then pressurize it with about 5 psi of air pressure. Students were graded on installation and the fitting being leak free. Do you much with ABS? What kind of cost difference is there? I haven't looked into it, but I'm considering it.
                I would have to special order ABS. Nobody carries it around here so I show them a bit of pipe and a few fittings but that's about all I do with it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  I was going to teach at a local college before the business blew loose and they had marketing issues. Charlotte and others will donate to schools. You would be amazed at who will contribute. I was going to get backflow preventers as well. Make the call.
                  I have hit up Charlotte a bunch of times with zero results. It's harder to get corporate donations than you may think although the few I have managed have been very good to us indeed.
                  sigpic

Comment

They were ready to ship PVC and cast that same day but I had no where to store them at the time.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

For the purposes of measuring fitting allowances and angles, how about using a washable lube instead of primer and glue in order to get full pipe engagement. This way the pipe goes in all the way to get accurate measurements and the fittings can be reused.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
                        For the purposes of measuring fitting allowances and angles, how about using a washable lube instead of primer and glue in order to get full pipe engagement. This way the pipe goes in all the way to get accurate measurements and the fittings can be reused.
                        Duck butter and paint brush. Much easier to clean up than primer drippings not to mention the occasional can being knocked over.

When I was in school, we did habitat houses after a little while getting the basics down and basic codes. Habitat was more than willing to pay for the materials to save on the price of a plumbing company. Yes, our teacher was licensed. It was inspected. Nothing better than real world application/problems.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

We do a couple of similar type projects every year. Not habitat homes but low income for the city.
                          sigpic

Comment

Do any of the local tradesmen donate to you, I bring leftover steel and welding rod to my Voc Tech all the time. It is a win win, they get valuable material and I can use the big equipment, or get a tax voucher for actual value of my scrap. I have a good relationship with the instructor there.

Comment

Back 1960s ,upper Cape regional tech. school,Cape Cod Mass, put up new buildings, and additions. These were for non profits, I believe. And when the students were seniors, They spent 1 week on a const. project Next week in school. I had 4 carpenter students framing new homes with Me. 2 one week ,other 2 next. It was a win ,win all around. I always taught them My tricks. Under My Guidance they laid out stair stringers ,and rafters. They were free, But I always gave them good cash. We had a great time. I envy N.H. Master , having Young kids around,Keeps You Young!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X