X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copper leaks

About 6 years ago I replaced all the copper pipe on my 2nd floor because of 4 pinhole leaks. it was all on 3/4 so I figured it was a defective stick. no hot water return line. heck it may have been on the cold side anyway?

I just fixed a pinhole on the 1st floor, 1/2 copper going to a toilet. copper holds up great in my area. I wounder what could be the trouble.

Anyhow a repipe in the basement will be a breeze

Re: copper leaks

since there was no return line, velocity erosion is not the issue.

i would look to see if there is flux still slobbered on the outside of the pipe and still inside the joints.

how is your water quality in general. is it city water or private well?

talk with your neighbors and see if they've had pin holes too.

was the original install part of a tract home or was it a custom home with 1 of a kind installation?

of course you could always take the sample pipe and pinhole sections to a metallurgist and see what the microscope says.

the drop of pex i worked with many years ago, makes me want to use pex for my own home in the future.

at least your bidet didn't spring a leak

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

THIN WALL M ????? Back East in the 70s It was all L for water. M was only for Hydronic heat. Did You replace with M or L ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        THIN WALL M ????? Back East in the 70s It was all L for water. M was only for Hydronic heat. Did You replace with M or L ?
        L or M? heck no I replaced it with P...................ex

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          since there was no return line, velocity erosion is not the issue.

i would look to see if there is flux still slobbered on the outside of the pipe and still inside the joints.

how is your water quality in general. is it city water or private well?

talk with your neighbors and see if they've had pin holes too.

was the original install part of a tract home or was it a custom home with 1 of a kind installation?

of course you could always take the sample pipe and pinhole sections to a metallurgist and see what the microscope says.

the drop of pex i worked with many years ago, makes me want to use pex for my own home in the future.

at least your bidet didn't spring a leak

rick.
          this leak could be flux. it was close to a fitting. I know the company very well that plumbed the place. they were flat out fast at the expence of wipeing excess flux off. that was the place I started plumbing at a few years after I built the house. I learned some bad practices.

pex has gone in on the 2nd already so pex will go in the basement. hopefully pex will stand the test of time.

Comment

Contact the Copper Development Assoc. They'll do an analysis for free.

Comment

i replace ALOT of copper around here due to pinholing and FITTINGS IN LIKE A THIRD OF THE WAY (HACKS PISS ME OFF!!!!).... typically bad installation IE; flux not getting wiped off, thin wall M just not with standing the test of time. I personally love PEX for the wall thickness and how much it resist corrusion from our HORRIBLE water in huntington beach and surrounding areas.

Comment

Pex is a problem,I'm told by a a more than experienced plumbing cont., because of mice, rats eating through the hot line ! I'll stay with L .
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

you know i have heard of that but never seen it or experienced it yet.... and im not to far form you either....

Comment

Pex over time might be absolute junk, but I have seen enough of it to know mice or rats eating through it isn't a problem. we have miles of it run in our area. could it happen yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      Contact the Copper Development Assoc. They'll do an analysis for free.
                      Plumbus can you give a link to the Copper Development Association. We have one here and it would be interesting to see more. We also have issues with copper corrosion. Rick nailed the biggest culprit, water quality. Again I am not an expert but rather an active interested plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Pex is a problem,I'm told by a a more than experienced plumbing cont., because of mice, rats eating through the hot line ! I'll stay with L .
                        Tool, amazing. Was in the suppliers on Saturday just gone talking about this very topic. Week before I was in tight situation cutting out section of hot and cold REHAU which had been attacked by rodents. Getting more common recently for god knows what reason

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          Pex over time might be absolute junk, but I have seen enough of it to know mice or rats eating through it isn't a problem. we have miles of it run in our area. could it happen yep.
                          Read # 12

Comment

but remember that in australia, their mice are the size of our rats. and their rats are the size of our possums

i've seen abs pipe eaten by critters. heck even our garbage cans get chewed on.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

We are seeing numerous rodent caused pex leaks, especially where the pex is contained in walls.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X