Just a thought on L VS. M COPPER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought on L VS. M COPPER

Cut 12 " of L + M 3/4" , With a magic marker mark them L+M . As You deliver the bid for Your project Listing a price for both, maybe, place these in customer's hands . It would be fun to hear back for the rest of Us.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Just a thought on L VS. M COPPER

They'd surely want 'L' for the 'M' price!

Comment

"M" tubing is all that's used on hydronic systems, as "L" type would be a waste of money.

In the 80"s before the code changed, "M" was perfectly acceptable here in Pennsylvania for domestic water.

Comment

We have always used L on refrigerant lines for HVACR systems. M is all that was used for domestic water inside buildings here in KY as well. Did they change from M to L due to a pressure issue or an internal erosion issue relating to the differences in the wall thickness of the two types of piping?

Comment

i use M for condensate and relief valve piping only. although L will erode too, it just takes longer.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Here we can only use m for pressurized drains not domestic water the pressure rating here for m is60 Psi hell I'd install type k if I could find a builder that wanted to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
              Here we can only use m for pressurized drains not domestic water the pressure rating here for m is60 Psi hell I'd install type k if I could find a builder that wanted to pay for it.
              Seanny How's that Lil apprentice in car hearts doing ? must be twice the size of that old pix now !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We were L for water for a a long time and then went back to allowing M a few years ago. It is amazing how many plumbers would rather tear all the copper out and run pex rather than address the water quality or installation mistakes. If copper is eroding or pin holing there is a reason. May be high or low PH may be failure to remove flux, may be poor piping practice but properly installed and with the water quality issues addressed copper will last for generations. Why do most plumbers shy away from water filtration and treatment? It ain't rocket science and in fact it is another very profitable avenue for business. It only takes a minimum of tools and equipment, most of which you already own and maybe a workshop, seminar or just reading to gain an understanding.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't recall my father or any of the other plumbers I've known who were in the trades when copper first became popular for water applications ever mentioning problems with pin hole leaks. Knowing this, I've always thought that the emergence this phenomenon was caused by a change at source. It makes one wonder that if the product being provided by the water purveyor is damaging the delivery system, what is it doing to the end user. Though I profit from water filtration sales and installations, (and drink and cook with filtered water) I don't think that point of use is the answer for the commonwealth. If you fix it at the source and treat it with respect in transit then not only our pipes but also our bodies will greatly benefit. This means the costs for an acre foot will go up. Better to get something good for more than something suspect for less.
                  First thing I'd do at source is get rid of chloramine and go to a system of filtration, ozonization and as little chlorine as bacterial safety would allow. Nothing revolutionary (or rocket science), just a little more expensive.

Comment

In over 25 years, I've only seen pin hole leaks in copper that are on private wells. We simply don't see pin hole leaks on public water.

Now I've seen copper erode because the previous Plumber never wiped his joints.

NH...we always use Pex as a last resort, but it's 50/50 on whether or not they want an acid neutralizer/water softener combo. Some people simply want us coming back every 6 months to fix pin hole leaks cause they are too cheap or don't have the money for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Seanny How's that Lil apprentice in car hearts doing ? must be twice the size of that old pix now !
                      He's Growing like crazy starting to talk and loves tools and anything with wheels or a motor ..one cute little bigger thanks for asking tool.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                        He's Growing like crazy starting to talk and loves tools and anything with wheels or a motor ..one cute little bigger thanks for asking tool.
                        Wonderful ,sounds like one of Us !

Comment

Working...
                        X