X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anode rod Commerical HWH

Does anybody have an easy way to get anode rod that has split off from steel rod but still attach to steel rod, the bare steel rod is leaving a brownish rust color to the hot water. I tried pulling up thru hole with no luck. Any help with this one? Thanks, Michael

Re: Anode rod Commerical HWH

Some commercial (newer) w/h's, like the Sandblaster have a cleanout cap bolted on to the tank at the bottom large enough to remove debris w/ a shop vac and possibly large enough to fit your hand into. If not, I would simply replace the anode rod and leave the part that broke off in the tank and call it 'extra protection' since the anode material itself will not discolor the water and you are able to remove/replace the part that is! If it does have the cleanout, I'd order another gasket before I removed it or else you'll have another problem.

Comment

i would think it's screwed into a 3/4'' port. now if your heater is commercial, it's either a 1'', 1.25'', or 1.5'' water inlet/ outlet.

i would try making a noose with some wire rope and use a piece of 1/4'' soft copper with the 1/8'' wire rope threaded through the copper. this will allow you to position the noose. now pair this up with a ridgid micro explorer to help guide you to the catch. you could use the 3/4'' port for the camera.

of course you can also record it for the rest of us to watch you go fishing. should be fun.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Is there a side port plug You could remove ? If so , run in a 3/8" re bar and pry off the " HANGING CHAD " ,He He . This would allow pull up of rod for replacement . Good Luck !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well-thanks everyone for the advice. I took out plugs for elements, made a hook wire and the fish it to hole, pulled thru element hole, then cut wire at top of anode rod hex head so I could pull thru element hole. Had two rods for this AO Smith DRV-120 18kw electric. took about 30 / 45minutes.
          Thanks, again and hope this helps someone else. Michael

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i would think it's screwed into a 3/4'' port. now if your heater is commercial, it's either a 1'', 1.25'', or 1.5'' water inlet/ outlet.

i would try making a noose with some wire rope and use a piece of 1/4'' soft copper with the 1/8'' wire rope threaded through the copper. this will allow you to position the noose. now pair this up with a ridgid micro explorer to help guide you to the catch. you could use the 3/4'' port for the camera.

of course you can also record it for the rest of us to watch you go fishing. should be fun.

rick.
            Very creative! I like it.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
            X