Propress stumper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress stumper

I have to freeze two 3/4" TP copper lines tomorrow and install valves. The building has lots of gate valves, all stuck or spinning, in every position
    I would like to press it because of strict hot work regulations in the building, but I do not see such an adapter.
    Any options, other than just to man up and solder a TP x copper adapter?

Re: Propress stumper

How did you manage to find this type of pipe? Heard of it but never seen it. It has to be brazed, right? Wouldn't the press for galvanized work with brass nipples already made up to regular copper? Spit-balling here as I have only used PP once. Is the copper too thin for PP?
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

not sure what you mean referring to "TP" pipe. can you explain further.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
        If memory serves it is the same size as sch. 40 and thin walled. I cannot remember any other things.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

rick.
          Threadless copper pipe. Even a dumb CARPAINTER knows that ! Grey stripe. LOVE GOOGLE, HE HE
          Last edited by toolaholic; 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

TP is for "threadless pipe". Thick walled, mostly brazed, solders fine. Cast brass fittings. Adapters look like c x f adapters with the female threads removed. Lots of buildings have it here. You feel like you're downgrading cutting in L copper. Only time you cut it out is for alterations, because you won't see it leak.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC LMP View Post
              TP is for "threadless pipe". Thick walled, mostly brazed, solders fine. Cast brass fittings. Adapters look like c x f adapters with the female threads removed. Lots of buildings have it here. You feel like you're downgrading cutting in L copper. Only time you cut it out is for alterations, because you won't see it leak.
              Is it the same od as sch 40?
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

Close, I wish I had some, but any used copper is looked at with great lust in my shop, bordering on eroticism...
                I'll post pics of pipe and fittings, since I'll be doing the job.
                I should keep some, and hook it up to some non lethal voltage.
                Workers here would fight faster over mongo than cash.

Comment

i have a couple homes i work on that's all threaded brass pipe and fittings. talk about the best of both worlds. but hate to think how much lead was cast into the fittings and pipe back in the 60's.

can't help you on your tp pipe as the closest i've seen was soft tin pipe use at a lab university for the d.i. water. needed to make a tie in and since this was an all gravity system with only head pressure, we used a "G" coupling and called it a day. that was back in the early 90's before we had all the newer fancy fittings and tools.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

i have a couple homes i work on that's all threaded brass pipe and fittings. talk about the best of both worlds. but hate to think how much lead was cast into the fittings and pipe back in the 60's.

can't help you on your tp pipe as the closest i've seen was soft tin pipe use at a lab university for the d.i. water. needed to make a tie in and since this was an all gravity system with only head pressure, we used a "G" coupling and called it a day. that was back in the early 90's before we had all the newer fancy fittings and tools.

rick.
                    Rick.

I purchased about 12' of 1" brass schedule 40 pipe to make up some custom nipples to connect some flushometers in the last month. (I needed two ~10" nipples but none were available in town and the only place that had any pipe sells it in 12' lengths. Over $22 a foot with 10' left.

I was going to shine it up and mount it vertically as an exercise pole for my better half. But you're welcome to purchase the leftovers if you really like brass. )
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

$22 a foot isn't bad. not even sure if i could find that out here. 1/2'' brass conduit is even hard to find for pool lites.

why couldn't you use copper/ mip and a sweat kit? with the chrome cover casing?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

$22 a foot isn't bad. not even sure if i could find that out here. 1/2'' brass conduit is even hard to find for pool lites.

why couldn't you use copper/ mip and a sweat kit? with the chrome cover casing?

rick.
                        Long story.

I had to replace two failed handicapped flushometer type toilets. It's a 40 year old building where there are back to back womens and mens bathrooms. The plumbing is in an inaccessible chase, and the old nipples were brass and went into the concrete wall about 4 inches. The new toilets have a different centerline measurement off the back wall than the old toilets. I was unable to locate any new toilet model that had a spud as close to the wall as the old toilets. Since the original supply lines were brass I couldn't put on a coupling, it would have looked terrible. I didn't trust screwing in a 1" copper line with a male adapter into a joint I couldn't really see and couldn't get a wrench on the adapter since it would be buried in the wall several inches.

Upshot is I had two 1" nipples cut and threaded. Installed them using teflon, pipe dope, and a strap wrench. Hope to heck they don't leak.

Anyway, I now have the makings of a stripper pole handy if anyone is interested. I think that brass is going to be sitting on the shelf for a long, long time.

Comment

i think 1'' brass pipe is a little too small diameter for a stripper pole, but what do i know

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Geno, silly question for you, when I have to buy a specialty item like that, I bill the customer for the whole peice of pipe, even if they only needed 20". I figure, I don't want to eat that cost on material I may never use again. So back to the question, did you charge them for 20" or 12'?

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            Rick.

I purchased about 12' of 1" brass schedule 40 pipe to make up some custom nipples to connect some flushometers in the last month. (I needed two ~10" nipples but none were available in town and the only place that had any pipe sells it in 12' lengths. Over $22 a foot with 10' left.

I was going to shine it up and mount it vertically as an exercise pole for my better half. But you're welcome to purchase the leftovers if you really like brass. )
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              Geno, silly question for you, when I have to buy a specialty item like that, I bill the customer for the whole peice of pipe, even if they only needed 20". I figure, I don't want to eat that cost on material I may never use again. So back to the question, did you charge them for 20" or 12'?
                              Mojo! Good question. I charged them for 20". The business is a non profit animal humane society and they run a tight budget. When I told them the cost of the brass they were shocked and didn't have the budget to pay for it. They would have gone with couplings no matter how ugly. However, I believe they provide a valuable service to society and so I decided to charge them on a per foot basis for the nipples, and I would eat the rest. I imagine I will eventually use the 1" brass. I can make nipples out of it, and maybe even get some training for an apprentice doing some hand threading. (When I get one). I also donated a wall hung sink, and a lavatory faucet on the same trip.

I believe we reap what we sew for the most part. So going a little extra for them is really a little bit selfish because I believe good things will happen in the long run as a result. But who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X