Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propress stumper

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
    Mojo! Good question. I charged them for 20". The business is a non profit animal humane society and they run a tight budget. When I told them the cost of the brass they were shocked and didn't have the budget to pay for it. They would have gone with couplings no matter how ugly. However, I believe they provide a valuable service to society and so I decided to charge them on a per foot basis for the nipples, and I would eat the rest. I imagine I will eventually use the 1" brass. I can make nipples out of it, and maybe even get some training for an apprentice doing some hand threading. (When I get one). I also donated a wall hung sink, and a lavatory faucet on the same trip.

I believe we reap what we sew for the most part. So going a little extra for them is really a little bit selfish because I believe good things will happen in the long run as a result. But who knows.
    Geno, you are not alone. I would suggest that there are many stories similar whereby we "just do it" and get on with it. Gives you a good feeling too. the only downside is when the unscrupulous take advantage of good nature and then we all get really pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by crish
      necessary aminoacids have nothing to do with pH, except when they may launch a proton at a particular pKa.

Protein is not used straight.

Proteins, along with water, are essential for keeping appropriate osmotic stress.

Proteins are created of personal meats which contain peptide ties. These ties may be consumed by peptidases which cleave this connection. Cases of peptides are trypsin, pepsin, chymotrypsin.
      That made my brain hurt.

Comment

NYC
        I'm surprised no one from Ridgid has piped in on the TP copper Pro Press question. I wonder if the pro press for steel pipe (would have to be an SS proprress coupling) using a cut off brass nipple would work, or would the od's be too different to make it word?

Gino, if you don't trust 1" copper screwed into the wall, what about type K?
        Did you think of using a 1" SS nipple?
        Last edited by Plumbus; 08-10-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I am hoping to hear what he ended up doing.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            NYC
            I'm surprised no one from Ridgid has piped in on the TP copper Pro Press question. I wonder if the pro press for steel pipe (would have to be an SS proprress coupling) using a cut off brass nipple would work, or would the od's be too different to make it word?

Gino, if you don't trust 1" copper screwed into the wall, what about type K?
            Did you think of using a 1" SS nipple?
            Honestly using a SS nipple never occurred to me but it's a great idea! I don't know if the supply house stocks 1" SS pipe to thread. I wish I had thought of that. The Sloan chrome adapters that fit over the copper tubing and special female adapter supplied by sloan also fits tightly over a sch 40 brass nipple. So I could have used that on a SS nipple as well.

Oddly, in the end, when I was talking to the fellow who threaded the brass nipples for me at the supply house it came up that I was using these to hook up flushometers he mentioned that he had some "scraps" of chrome plated 1" brass pipe "back there" that weren't on the books. (leftovers from a special order). So he cut the nipples for me out of chrome plated brass for nothing, since he/ they had just zinged me for the 12' of rough brass. So the Humane Society got chrome plated nipples in the end. I chalked it up to their karma. )

Plumbus, it's the sweat joint on the adapter I wouldn't trust to hold once I would be applying torsional pressure while spinning the joint into the tee in the wall. If it failed it would be extremely difficult to extract the male adapter that deep in the wall without damaging the block wall. I have some 1" and 3/4" hard K on the truck, and the thought occurred to me, but I didn't like the risk reward scenario on this one. I've had some bad luck in this particular building. (Chalk it up to MY karma) LOL.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Threading brass is not that bad. Threading stainless blows. I guess one nipple wouldn't have been horrible.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                Plumbus, it's the sweat joint on the adapter I wouldn't trust to hold once I would be applying torsional pressure while spinning the joint into the tee in the wall. If it failed it would be extremely difficult to extract the male adapter that deep in the wall without damaging the block wall. I have some 1" and 3/4" hard K on the truck, and the thought occurred to me, but I didn't like the risk reward scenario on this one. I've had some bad luck in this particular building. (Chalk it up to MY karma) LOL.
                I recently had to replace a short piece of pipe between 1-1/2" a pressure regulator and a 2" meter flange which was originally an 1-1/2" gal nipple, bell reducer and 2" close nipple because a leak had developed at the reducer. Since everything downstream was plastic and I didn't want to put gal pipe back I had a choice of brass or SS. Since I didn't want to buy an assortment of nipples which I would probably have on hand for the next 10 years, I decided to go with a 2" copper adpt, bushing and short piece of 1-1/2" K (which I had in stock) and 1-1/2" adpt because once I got the old stuff out of the hole I could take an exact measurement and field fabricate the copper to fit. As it was I was a little long (for fear of being too short) and had to really tork down on the adaptors going into the meter flange and the threaded union of the regulator. Fortunately, my karma was strong enough to avoid disaster and nothing came apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  I am hoping to hear what he ended up doing.
                  Sorry for the delay. I had a week like being in a meat grinder. I'm going back Monday, so I'll post pics right after that.
                  The job was easy. I froze the 3/4" TP copper line in the next room overhead with a CO2 setup called "Quik Freeze".
                  After cutting the pipe, I inserted a jet swet for peace of mind and soldered on a TP x male adapter, followed by an IPS ball valve.
                  I couldn't believe how fast the line froze. The quik freeze kit I borrowed uses what looks like a blood pressure reading cuff with velcro attached to a co2 hose. Less than 10 minutes and the water was off. The hot side had working valves in the basement by the hot water storage tank.
                  In a pinch, you can file off the threads of a female x copper adapter to fit TP pipe with a stone bit on a drill.

Comment

Working...
                  X