Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

mixing abs and pvc

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mixing abs and pvc

    I've always felt this was a recipe for problems. Stopped in to check out our new Lowes (first big box in this area), and lowe and behold what's on the shelf but Oatey "transition" cement for gluing abs to pvc and verse visa. wtf?

    Who knowes about this? Is it legal? Does it work? Would you ever do it?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

  • #2
    Re: mixing abs and pvc

    as far as i know, the old transition glue was for non pressure applications and was more of a contact cement than a welded joint. the 2 plastics are different.

    truthfully, i would use a no hub/ mission band for a transition fitting and not worry about the glue.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: mixing abs and pvc

      We use transition glue in Toronto for gluing 4" ABS (ABS is used extensively in homes here, not PVC) to 4" PVC sewers under the concrete floor in the basement going out to the city sewer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: mixing abs and pvc

        Can I ask a really stupid question:- What is the idea of using ABS as opposed to PVC. Ove rhere we dont see a lot of ABS. When we do it is gererally George Fischer and god damned expensive. Mind you great product to work with and GF have been doing it for a long time as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: mixing abs and pvc

          Code here allows 1 joint ...It Can't look like a "Zebra"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: mixing abs and pvc

            Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            Can I ask a really stupid question:- What is the idea of using ABS as opposed to PVC. Ove rhere we dont see a lot of ABS. When we do it is gererally George Fischer and god damned expensive. Mind you great product to work with and GF have been doing it for a long time as well.
            Honestly I don't know. The stuff is way more expensive (especially lately), needs supported more as it sags more, and you can't see as well in it with a camera. I don't much like it but if that is what is there and I've got to cut in a cleanout or whatever, then that's what I'm using.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: mixing abs and pvc

              Transition cement is not an approved method here.

              Use a no hub band, it is much better and will last forever.
              Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: mixing abs and pvc

                ABS pipe laying out in the Phoenix sun, (115 here today) will look like a dog's hind leg after 15 minutes. Great stuff when the ditch is a little out of line.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: mixing abs and pvc

                  Multipurpose glue for PVC/ABS transition is illegal here as well, as the code calls for a mission coupling. However, we rarely see ABS and if I do, any alterations always seem to be done with glue instead of the mission coupling.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: mixing abs and pvc

                    Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                    ABS pipe laying out in the Phoenix sun, (115 here today) will look like a dog's hind leg after 15 minutes. Great stuff when the ditch is a little out of line.
                    So Arizona am I reading it right that you guys would run 100mm abs underground as well

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: mixing abs and pvc

                      I remember back in the 80's when we were running ABS pipe and had it delivered to a job site on hot days. It was my job to flip the pipe on the ground because the sun would bend the 20' sticks into a "C".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: mixing abs and pvc

                        Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        I remember back in the 80's when we were running ABS pipe and had it delivered to a job site on hot days. It was my job to flip the pipe on the ground because the sun would bend the 20' sticks into a "C".
                        Also known as long sweep 22, s...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: mixing abs and pvc

                          transition cement not allowed here as well, no-hub adapters with a no-hub coupling, or threaded adapters are used.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: mixing abs and pvc

                            Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                            So Arizona am I reading it right that you guys would run 100mm abs underground as well
                            No. We'd run 4" ABS underground. Miles and miles of it.
                            BTW. Sorry for the delay in responding. Been really busy.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X