Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tank water heaters and expansion heaters.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tank water heaters and expansion heaters.

A few months ago I installed a new B.White 50 Gal water heater for My friend and neighbor.
    The T.P. Started to discharge now and then. Well I put on a 2.1 gal. expansion tank [ $300.00 additional ] and all is well. Question should We all try to sell the Ex. tank with each new W.H.? Thinking, if I install with tank I'll point out They"ll save $100.00 [ $200.00 M.& L. ] TANKS TOOL
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: New tank water heaters and expansion heaters.

Just started requiring them on all new installs here. I see more of a problem when the solar array is too large for the size tank. The array heats it up past the limit switch on the differential controller and shuts the circa pump off. The water basically sits up there and gets hotter and hotter and expands. The PR on the panel or the TPR on the tank usually goes off (typically the first). Expansion tanks seem to help.

Zurn, Apollo and I think Nibco make full port ball valves with thermal expansion control. We can sub these for expansion tanks.
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

We end up selling them on any system with a check valve. Even if it's just a cheesy angle check built into the meter yoke
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
        Just started requiring them on all new installs here. I see more of a problem when the solar array is too large for the size tank. The array heats it up past the limit switch on the differential controller and shuts the circa pump off. The water basically sits up there and gets hotter and hotter and expands. The PR on the panel or the TPR on the tank usually goes off (typically the first). Expansion tanks seem to help.

Zurn, Apollo and I think Nibco make full port ball valves with thermal expansion control. We can sub these for expansion tanks.
        Same goes here. They are required now with all new installations. I always reccomend them anyway to any customer. Added sales and it helps that they require them, so it helps show customers its in the code requirement.
        Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
        crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Make sure you find out where and how the tank should be installed! Some company's only want the tank in the vertical position and some even want it 18" from the water heater inlet. I have been installing a 3/4"x1/2" tee and running 1/2" pex up to a drop ear secured to a 2"x4" or floor joist.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
            Make sure you find out where and how the tank should be installed! Some company's only want the tank in the vertical position and some even want it 18" from the water heater inlet. I have been installing a 3/4"x1/2" tee and running 1/2" pex up to a drop ear secured to a 2"x4" or floor joist.
            I suspend the 2.1 Gal from the tee 18 " out . Guessing It's a heat rubber issue
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I suspend the 2.1 Gal from the tee 18 " out . Guessing It's a heat rubber issue
              Most can handle up to 140F but whatever they want, right? If you have enough room they sell a neat cast brass tee. It is C x FIP x C remember we read fittings A, B, C.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I've never serviced an area that requires them. I can count on one hand the number I've installed and I've never been called back to a water heater installation because it needed an expansion tank. I'm talking since about 1987. So what's that tell ya?

Comment

unless there is a check valve/ back flow preventer or the city main pressure is beyond the rating of the prv, an expansion tank will do little to nothing. of course a drippy faucet or toilet is even more fool proof than an expansion tank.

they sell a ballcock that has a relief valve built into it that is designed to eliminate thermal expansion.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

It is required here. If there are no check valves and the PRV has a bypass, it honestly doesn't need an expansion tank. Is there one attached to the meter, which in my case, will be buried at the road? Not likely on residential. I am required to install an expansion tank with a new water line even after knowing there is no check on the meter and I am installing a PRV with bypass. Splain that one Lucy? I suppose if the people writing the codes had any experience in the field, or at the very least not motivated by $, things would be better.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

i put them in when the T+P is discharging. Last one was a new 50 gal B W gas. Months later started weeping . No problem since.

Comment

Working...
                      X