X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You get what you pay for

So this GC has given me almost 2k on 5 different jobs in the past month of work because his guys are straight stupid. Here's another pic of the work I get to fix. You would think a 1.6 million dollar house would have better construction.

The tub drain gasket was leaking and that was the only thing he wanted fixed. There was no silicon or putty but suprisingly only leaked when the tub was completly full. He didn't want me to touch any of the pipe as those ferncos weren't leaking.

This guy would've saved alot of money by hiring better plumbers in the beginning.
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: You get what you pay for

run real fast. those fernco's are not legal. especially that 1/4 bend.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yea you would think Big nice House , Hire a Plumber that does Quality work. The home owner is the loser in the end

Comment

That's really sad. I wonder what the electrical rough in looks like....

Comment

Typical GC WORK ! Good for You Ben.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

We see that kind of work in CA. I think preventing GC's from doing plumbing without a C-36 would eliminate a good percentage of it. Same goes for electrical (C-10) and sheet metal (C-43). How they can pass electrical inspections without showing certifications for each installer is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              We see that kind of work in CA. I think preventing GC's from doing plumbing without a C-36 would eliminate a good percentage of it. Same goes for electrical (C-10) and sheet metal (C-43). How they can pass electrical inspections without showing certifications for each installer is beyond me.
              I agree,We should Hang Em High, By Golly !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                Probably because after Ben has been in and out of there he will say Ben did it. It's nice to pick up work (and its easy for me to say this because I don't do this work), but do you really want your good name associated with this level of quality? Sometimes you might be better off letting one or two go.

And if I was a HO buiding a 1.6M custom home I would be picking my own plumber and electrician, not depending on the GC who is sure to get the cheapest sub he can find or do it himself if he can get away with it.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Turn him in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Probably because after Ben has been in and out of there he will say Ben did it. It's nice to pick up work (and its easy for me to say this because I don't do this work), but do you really want your good name associated with this level of quality? Sometimes you might be better off letting one or two go.

And if I was a HO buiding a 1.6M custom home I would be picking my own plumber and electrician, not depending on the GC who is sure to get the cheapest sub he can find or do it himself if he can get away with it.
                    It's paying the bills. If I could turn down the work I would. I met the owner on the first job when I was called in because the owner didn't trust the gc. So the owner is aware that I'm not the cause of this mess. The owner has straight up told the GC that I'm the only plumber he wants out there. When I come into this place, i take videos, not pictures to document everything.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear, be very careful how you write your receipt for this work, seriously your job is to cover your a$$ on your receipt without looking like you are throwing GC under the bus.

The last license that touches it owns it.

Comment

We all show up to repair someone else's mess, occasionally. Gear has nothing to worry about. He does great work,We all know. And He's wise to photograph the jokesters work.

Comment

the issue ben is when the owner finally gets tired of all the problems in the new house. not just the plumbing. he goes to sue the general and you get named because there are invoices for work that was done. this could be a can of worms for the next 10 years in calif.
                          i would write into my invoices that the bill is based on billable hours for this repair. any excess time, including possible future litigation will be billed at my current hourly rate.

not that they will sue, but $45 a day for depositions and court isn't exactly plumbers wages. talk to mark, he'll give you the heads up.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

How do auto mech. deal with the same situation ! They certainly deal with this more than us !

Comment

remember that a new car comes with a 3year plus warranty that needs to go back to the dealer. not an outside mechanic.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X