Work by Mr. Art Hackistry...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work by Mr. Art Hackistry...

Hello everyone. My first post on the forum. My name is Marc and I work for a very small company in the southern tier NY area (Springville). I am currently holding a license of Master Plumber for the town of Hamburg, NY. This town is reciprocal with many other larger communities in the area (the TOH license is good for the other towns). We follow the IPC 2009 codes very loosely. Most of our smaller towns follow no codes at all and rarely require permits.

About 75% of the postings in this section I have read...only another 25% to go... I see you all run into a lot of what I've seen with the DIY crowd. Here's an example of today's:

Name:  168f68131d9f4031d09203428e74da9f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  295.8 KB

While servicing a furnace I came across this beauty. A DIY HWT from our local Valu Home Center...you can just barely see the receipt attached. It was complete with leaky, corroded copper flex water tubing (the type typically used for hydronic heating). This relief pipe is stopped down from 3/4" to a stainless steel tube 3/8" in diameter. The tubing was a fuel line for something and the hacker even bent nice 45's to clear the gas line

Yes, I changed it all out. The customer 'didnt remember who installed the tank' but was very thankful for the correction.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Work by Mr. Art Hackistry...

Welcome to the thread Punky!
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

welcome to the forum plumber punky

believe me, the person who installed that 3/8'' stainless relief piping is a commercial plumber/ fitter. plus clean bends on stainless is not a bending spring. plus those fittings are not at any home center.

although the code doesn't allow for a reduction of a relief valve discharge, the chances that it will harm anything is slim and none. a relief valve starts off as a drip. had to document some thermal expansion today and watched it as the relief valve started to open around 142# from thermal expansion. just a drip at a time.

welcome and enjoy the ride.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Swagelock fittings and SS, not cheapo DIY parts by any means. Kind of small for a blow off line, but the fitting and tubing are good for 2500PSI.

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome

I kept that nice SS line. May need to use it around the house someday...for some project that is....not my hot water maker

I don't know that career of the home owner but he did have a few bikes and an older car there so that's probably where he got the idea and parts from.

Rick - you and I both know that reliefs valves cause little to no harm when they are reduced in size. I remember the Mythbusters episode with everything plugged off...electric tanks that blew through 3 stories of California-code-built structures. I think they went at about 330 or so psi. Anyways, code says it's unsafe...sooooo it's a small moneymaker for my company and it showed the customer I looked out for their safety...not just their money. Besides, with the way my luck usually runs it would be the one valve that is stuck shut and the dang thing would blow like a rocket-ship.
          ~~

Comment

Inspectors would have red flagged that in a heart beat in my area. Maybe even a competent home inspector would catch it. We had plenty to bring up to date that the home inspectors recorded.. 100amp service panels seems to get nabbed by the inspector as well..

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
              Inspectors would have red flagged that in a heart beat in my area. Maybe even a competent home inspector would catch it. We had plenty to bring up to date that the home inspectors recorded.. 100amp service panels seems to get nabbed by the inspector as well..
              We have many older 100 amp panels . The are legal unless someone did an add on violation. Are You saying they all bust be upgraded ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                We have many older 100 amp panels . The are legal unless someone did an add on violation. Are You saying they all bust be upgraded ?

Home inspectors will say or recommend 150 Amp panels. I was talking about home inspectors that get hired by a potential home buyer; not an inspector from a municipality.
                A lot of 100amp panels gets weeded out when a central A/C gets installed or a addition to a building.
                But to answer your question no they do not have to upgraded if left "as is".
                After all there are alot of houses that still have fuses....
                Another issue, insurance companies want upgrades. My brother had to get upgraded to breakers because he was still on fuses, that's if he wanted ins. coverage..I think they go by the 50 year date.
                Plus it had to be certified that there were no knob and post wiring...And I think they installed a 150 amp panel..And yes there was a permit and inspected by the city..

Comment

In my area when the house is sold many insurance companies will not insure a home with only a 100 amp service panel. It would also need to be upgraded if it was a Federal Pacific Stab-loc panel or had aluminum wiring (usually found during an install of something).

I would love to help all my customers upgrade their plumbing, heating, and other things but:

1- there's not enough time in the day. the boss wants it all done in one day no matter what...no return calls
                  2- the boss is greedy. his flat rate pricing places out of the ballpark for most things. heck...it places us off the planet for a few things
                  3- the boss is greedy. he expects those who are not experienced in that area to perform the work. for example, he would expect me to install windows or replace a roof, just so he can have his money.

I won't do hack work, sorry...
                  ~~

Comment

Working...
                  X