Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locate Concrete Asbestos Pipe by Transmitting 510 Signal Through Water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locate Concrete Asbestos Pipe by Transmitting 510 Signal Through Water?

Greetings,

I have a SR-20 and an ST-510 and am trying to locate 6" waterlines made of concrete asbestos pipe. Is it possible to hook onto a fire hydrant with the 510, have the signal transmit through the water in the line and locate it with the SR-20?

If not, do you have any other ideas on locating this type of pipe short of GPR?

Re: Locate Concrete Asbestos Pipe by Transmitting 510 Signal Through Water?

If the signal will follow the water it would follow anything else also so your locate would be about the same as guessing. GPR or find away to get a metal pushrod in there to conduct the signal. (if you do get any type of rod in there it should be sanitary)
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

pretty much what cuda said.

years ago i had a job at disneyland. california adventure and they accidentally buried a hydrant valve box. of course with a camera and the entire park system shut off, they pulled the hydrant and i ran a camera into the line to locate the valve buried 8' deep. got the best mark i could through ductile iron pipe and they then cored drilled and vacuumed down to expose the valve. they couldn't get final until this was completed and talk about a lot of big wigs looking over my shoulder. i think even mickey was watching

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

If you put anything in the line you better have the blessings and written consent from the city attorney. Some municipalities will not let me put my fodder through that is made and used for water lines.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

GPR is not a complete solution. There are many variables that can throw out the results. We tried a new unit designed for plastic pipes and gave it straight back. Saw another one yesterday, only $6k. Expensive trial I would say.
          Some time ago I got beat on a locate in a switch yard. Bloke who got the job was using 3M locator and claimed many things, the best being a sizable sum for his services. Unfortunately not an easy solution to this Sandy. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            GPR is not a complete solution. There are many variables that can throw out the results. We tried a new unit designed for plastic pipes and gave it straight back. Saw another one yesterday, only $6k. Expensive trial I would say.
            Some time ago I got beat on a locate in a switch yard. Bloke who got the job was using 3M locator and claimed many things, the best being a sizable sum for his services. Unfortunately not an easy solution to this Sandy. Good luck and keep us posted
            I thought GPR was better suited for sandy areas? There is a map, at least for the US, that you can see the soil content to be able to know if GPR would excel or not.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

If nothing else works you may have to get a vac truck in and do some pothole daylighting to expose the main. It helps if you have a general idea of where the mains run.

Comment

Some sophisticated listening equipment while providing a constant tapping at one or both ends might work?
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                  Some sophisticated listening equipment while providing a constant tapping at one or both ends might work?
                  Be interested to hear from anyone who has used this. Sewerin have a unit that is an add-on to the accoustic listening device. I think it is back to the original of trying to insert a tracer in the pipe and tracking like this. maybe even using the see-snake with the sonde will allow you to get a more accurate location and then you can pot-hole to confirm

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Be interested to hear from anyone who has used this. Sewerin have a unit that is an add-on to the accoustic listening device. I think it is back to the original of trying to insert a tracer in the pipe and tracking like this. maybe even using the see-snake with the sonde will allow you to get a more accurate location and then you can pot-hole to confirm
                    I have used a Metrotech pipe knocker. It does great with metal pipes with no rubber gaskets. It does pretty good on PVC if there is a brass valve to tie onto. It does poor with black roll pipe (PE), PEX and the other soft plastic pipe. I do NOT recommend the thumpers that crate water hammer.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                    X