X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant - New Home Owners and Home Inspectors, The Boss and Disappointment

It saddens me to see what our 'home inspectors' are passing as OK. New home owners are being taken for huge sums of cash based upon the 'good word' of said inspector. Out here, the inspector can only test the unit, the furnace for example, and state if it's working or not. He cannot state - the venting is rotted or improper, the plumbing isn't rated for potable usage, or even, your sewer runs into your swimming pool. On top of all that, there is a little disclaimer that's supposed to hold them not liable for any wrong conclusions. This lady also has violations of plumbing thru furnace ductwork, pex next to steel flue pipes, wrong solid fuel chimney caps, bad brand new roofing, and serious violations of the electrical code that might end up electrocuting her.

Here's a fancy cleanout tee with plug on the roof vent:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4d8c2e4c663fa725e5f95cee34e4fff0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	16647

This other job hurts me the most. It's an 80% boiler connected to 3" PVC pipe. Don't know if you can see it or not but the pipe is already discoloring and starting to melt. There is no thimble on the pipe to plywood (painted brown) wall. I shut off the system and wrote it up. The customer, toting around his newborn grand-daughter, signed off on the danger write-up, proceeded to call his 3 inspectors, and then called my office to tell my boss we were full of $hit and that all the inspectors said he was OK. We were just trying to sell him something and he was going to start it up again...

As this township follows the IFGC, the code enforcement officer is technically the utility company, whom I called for advice. They suggested they send a tech to the residence. Which I agreed to. There was no additional cost to anyone. The utility co. tech wrote up the improper and dangerous venting - " this setup can melt, start a fire inside the pipe, burn your house down, and kill you." The tech also called me personally to thank me for making the right call - 'we saved a life today' - he said.

Name:	1a42e9f7030414c68d5f1daa984cb87a.jpg
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	16648

Name:	b9dde0588a65dede3a3cb5646a726e77.jpg
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	16649

Fast forward to this morning - my boss said - let's talk about Mr. Customer, what happened? So I told him about all the stuff that happened as listed above. Also about how the liability is completely removed if the Code Authority writes the paperwork, the moral responsibility to not only inform but to take the extra steps as provided by the Code to prevent those hell bent upon killing the helpless. His response? "It is against company policy to call the gas company. You pi$$ed off the customer and I had to do some fast talking to save my $4000 roofing repair." I told him I didn't care about his policies and I would do it again if I had to. In 12 years of doing this I had only to call 3 times, ever.

So now you all know. A family's life is worth $4000. Yes, I know I'm on the road to being fired...

On a happier side note - the hack-o-potomus used purple primer on the pvc and used zip screws at the junction of metal to pvc.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Rant - New Home Owners and Home Inspectors, The Boss and Disappointment

That would be a terrible disservice to you if you were fired for righting a wrong. Your boss is a dick if all he cared about was the bottom line. He should be thanking you for bringing it to the home owner's attention even though 3 "inspectors" told her nothing was wrong. Too Bad their woeful ignorance prevented them from backing you up. That is one horrible situation. I am glad you prevailed.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why the clean out on the roof vent but I'll bet it's there because the pipe wasn't long enough and the plumber didn't have a coupling on the truck. As for pissing off the homeowner. The best call would have been to your boss first and have him come out and talk to the customer. I don't let my tech's rile my customers up. That's my call.
      sigpic

Comment

Your boss is a moron and should be giving you a raise!

Comment

I have been doing strictly new residential work for about 7 years and have never liked the power the home inspectors have in my state. In Idaho they constantly hold up the C of O and make us come back to do stupid things. Ex. In UPC the T&P must terminate 6 - 18 inches above finish concrete floor in a garage installation ... multiple times I had to go back and explain to the home inspector that our code is not dictated by their preference in wanting it no more than 3 inches off the floor. The have also tried to have me add visqueen in a crawlspace to cover the hole where the sewer stubbs in. You should be happy they don't have that kind of power. I almost got fired because a closing got held up over a piece of pipe in a crawlspace. Fun. Tell your boss that your catching the bad stuff and not an over zealous bank hired inspector.

Comment

That’s an honest to goodness service to your customers. I applaud you for being an efficient employee who delivers noble services to clients.

Comment

Keep up the good work. You know you did the right thing. As a homeowner and a insurance agent I have seen so many wrong things over 30 years that an inspector did not see. After 6 home purchases including building a home I no longer will pay for inspections. I have the skill to do them myself.
              Charles

Comment

I have purchased several homes and the realtor almost died when I told her I was doing my own inspection

Comment

I am an electrician and know from experience most home inspectors have no clue about inspecting electrical systems. I guess the lack of knowledge carries over to the other trades as well. Sad thing is the home buyer puts more faith in the home(jack of all trades)inspector, than the expert tradesman.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I'm trying to figure out why the clean out on the roof vent but I'll bet it's there because the pipe wasn't long enough and the plumber didn't have a coupling on the truck. As for pissing off the homeowner. The best call would have been to your boss first and have him come out and talk to the customer. I don't let my tech's rile my customers up. That's my call.
                    Yes, maybe he should have called the office and informed them of what he found and let them communicate the violations to the customer and what should be done but if Punky is a LMP himself how can he walk away from this knowing the dangerous condition that exist. My thought is that he has been down this road before with his management and knew what to expect this time so he forced their hand by reporting it directly knowing it had a good chance of being swept under the rug if he took another avenue.

Still, as you say this may have been better handled by his boss, then if they didn't do the right thing he could report it on his own AND report his boss which would surely have on the outside looking in at which point he could retain a lawyer and take legal action on a number of points.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                      I am an electrician and know from experience most home inspectors have no clue about inspecting electrical systems. I guess the lack of knowledge carries over to the other trades as well. Sad thing is the home buyer puts more faith in the home(jack of all trades)inspector, than the expert tradesman.
                      Yes, its too bad people don't know better than to trust all home inspectors. Sure there are good ones with hands-on expierence but there are too many who got there by taking a course off the back of a matchbook cover and have zero real world expierence. If you have ot have x number of years before you can get a license or be an code inspector why should a home inspector be any different? In NJ they must be licensed by the State, but it doesn't take much to get it AND if you are licensed in another state you're pretty much good to go here, just apply for a NJ license and pay your fees.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-25-2013, 06:43 AM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well, as many of you know, I was fired for my doings. Though, I was told 'there's no more money for you'. The old employer is still a hack.

I'm now my own boss. Yay. Business is starting to pick up. I have the truck (and I will post pictures soon) and all the insurance. I have a few residential and commercial accounts, both with repeat calls.

So now I can pick and choose what calls to take, and also what authorities to call in the event of a problem.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                        X