X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&P relief valve piping.

It looks interesting, but it can't meet code. It cost more to do because of the fittings, Although they did save a little pipe. But it took more time to install. Can anyone see any reason why it would be advantageous to pipe a couple of water heater relief valves in this manner? (homeowner did this)
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: T&P relief valve piping.

I do not see any advtanages, and it does not meet the Illinois code for sure. Also the extra mony he spent on the unions would of paid for the pipe and two 90º ells.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
      It looks interesting, but it can't meet code. It cost more to do because of the fittings, Although they did save a little pipe. But it took more time to install. Can anyone see any reason why it would be advantageous to pipe a couple of water heater relief valves in this manner? (homeowner did this)
      The only reason I can think of is they did not know any better. You said the HO piped it so there is your answer.

Gotta love those flex connectors, they really show off the craftsmanship that went into this install.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If the persons code required them to "run all T&P discharge to the exterior..." then it could be an advantage by not having to make two long runs and all that is associated with it.

And this arrangement would probably work fine until the end of time. I know, better safe than sorry though.

Comment

i believe the code states to run independently.

but i would have run them so that their outlets were not at the same elevation. they could have dropped the tee and ran 1 heater into the branch of the tee at a lower elevation with the first heater coming into the top run via a 90 down.

we can't even tie our smitty/ drip pans into the t&p valve. they have to run separately.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Funny, they used nice hard copper pipe and fittings and appears to look like a nice solder joints but, they used the corrugated copper flex lines.
            Code don't call for "flexible" lines in that state does it????

Comment

Working...
            X